Friendly games/ethics

So a few months ago, a neighbor invited me to a weekly poker night he was going to start up. He had a few friends, I brought one of mine and it was dealer calls. Everytime it came around to me, I called hold em. The neighbor claimed it was new to him (late 60's guy who usually calls 7 card stud) and after playing a few hands, he started calling hold em as well because he started to like it. Before the first time hold em was called at the table we all agreed to burn a card after the deal, flop and turn. Neighbor stayed quiet because like I said earlier he never played before and didn't appear to care much about a burn.

When it's his turn to deal, I noticed that he looked at one of the burn cards. It wasn't like he shared what it was or even turned the burn for everyone to see. He flipped it towards himself and got rid of it. I said...."you're not supposed to get a look at the burn". He blamed it on inexperience playing hold em. A few other times on subsequent nights, I catch him doing the same thing but he's not even trying to hide the fact he's doing it. He just does it and just acts like it's out of habit and doesn't know what he's doing.

Fast forward a few weeks and I stopped playing with him and his crew. I was never ahead any of the weeks we played. I don't mind playing whatever the dealer calls but I'm really only playing for the few times hold em is played. I truly think this guy knows what he's doing and playing innocent. On top of that, I didn't feel that it was worth it for me to play hold em about 50% of the time and not always have a level playing field because of this habit he has. His friends don't make a fuss about it but I don't know if it's because of it being a friendly game.

He asked me the other day to come by again and join them, bring a few guys, etc. I don't know if I should. I haven't been playing much lately and I want to start up again. But.....I also don't know if I'm being asked because he thinks I'm a sucker for letting him get away with it without redealing. I know this is someone I shouldn't trust in a club environment and it wouldn't be tolerated. Should I excuse his behavior just because it's a friendly game? It's his house, majority of the guys are his friends (mostly mid 50's to early 70's) and he really is a nice guy. Any thoughts?

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
You're not a pro, so you're playing for fun. So why play if it's not going to be fun?

PS If people cheat, it doens't matter why, they are still cheats.

HE IS A CHEATER, end of story... If I have pocket 88, and see an 8 on the burn card, I probably will fold if raised.... if he didn't see the card, he might call the raise, and lose some loot... either tell him it is unacceptable and play, or tell him to forget it...

Thanks for the responses....I'm one of those that try to see the good in people first. I'm glad the outsider opinion confirmed that this isn't right no matter what the platform. I wonder why his friends stayed quiet all the times it has happened? Thats what had me feeling out of place. Again and again, I felt like I was the only one complaining and thought I was just being being a bitch.

as soon as someone says that they dont know how to play a poker game yet they know how to play poker i dont believe them. poker is poker your best 5 cards wins in ALL poker games outside of 3 card. those are the type of players i play extra tight with and take their money everytime. you did the right thing not playing with this crew anymore.

been playing in a friendly game since 1985, we have one guy who plays with us since 1987 and we all think he tries to do shit with the cards. We always let him do whatever the heck he wanted because he always lost.....