Following the Primrose Path.....

Lately for some reason my skin has broken out. What Primrose oil would you recommend? I buy most of my vitamins from Solgar.

My recommendation - steam with a bowl of hot water and a few drops of essential oil of Clary Sage for 20 minutes to calm your skin and open your pores then swipe face with a cotton ball of real witch hazel then apply a combination of a few drops tea tree with a few drops evening primrose to the problem areas. I use a cotton swap with one side EP the other TT and just combine it on my skin. I would also take EP internally.

I actually buy Solgar Evening Primrose Oil 1300mg and just break open the capsules for my skin. I bought EP once in a liquid form but it went off before I could finish it, it does not have a long shelf life which is one of it's few downfalls.

If this doesn't work then I would get an analysis of your breakout because it could be something other than acne.

Skin breakouts are tricky. My sister had bad skin as a teenager and would have to get these expensive compounds perscriped by her dermatologist that insurance would not cover and none of it worked, she eventually just grew out of it. Many times there are underlying conditions that cause it, hormonal fluctuations, bacterial infections or viruses like herpes.

I have never been to a dermatologist that fixed any of my skin problems, it would usually go away on it's own before any of the junk they tell you to use works. The steroid creams like Vytone thin the skin which causes premature aging, Emgel is so drying it is not even worth the because of the trouble you will have getting your skin hydrated again, Cleocin T did not work either.

I think that's a myth, there are so many different kinds of oils with different constitutions to dismiss them as pore clogging. Many help cure acne especially essential oils distilled from flowers and leaves like evening primrose. These kinds of oils have antiseptic, astringent and anti-inflammatory and calmative properties. Tea Tree Oil is the more effective on clearing acne than benzoperoxide, I haven't used anything with synthetic on my skin for years.

The term oil has a bad rap, some floral oils are so precious that they are almost as expensive as gold per ounce. Evening Primrose is a high end carrier oil and I would consider Tea Tree a moderate essential oil.
When you start talking all health, organic and homeopathic, you sound just like my ex. :p

Skin breakouts are tricky. My sister had bad skin as a teenager and would have to get these expensive compounds perscriped by her dermatologist that insurance would not cover and none of it worked, she eventually just grew out of it. Many times there are underlying conditions that cause it, hormonal fluctuations, bacterial infections or viruses like herpes.

I have never been to a dermatologist that fixed any of my skin problems, it would usually go away on it's own before any of the junk they tell you to use works. The steroid creams like Vytone thin the skin which causes premature aging, Emgel is so drying it is not even worth the because of the trouble you will have getting your skin hydrated again, Cleocin T did not work either.
I know from my own experience that skin breakouts are usually associated with a buildup of toxins in my body. If I follow a regimen of juice from carrots, beets, and dandelion greens it usually clears up after a while.

Last edited:
I know from my own experience that skin breakouts are usually associated with a buildup of toxins in my body. If I follow a regimen of juice from carrots, beets, and dandelion greens it usually clears up after a while.
Dandelion is one of the best antitoxins, smart choice.

My breakouts also come from internal hormonal imbalances. I take specific supplements (bladderwrack (only every two weeks due to it's high iodine level), vitex berry and evening primrose) and stay away from foods like chocolate, sharp cheeses and anything fermented but these breakouts are almost completely unavoidable.

I spent the better part of my life with perfect skin even as a teenager and suddenly a few years ago the breakouts started and I get cystic ance, the worst kind. It is usually inherited and my father and sister had it but before they were twenty. When I feel one coming I usually steam for 20-30 minutes twice a day then dry the hell out of them with tea tree oil until it is completely gone. I then treat the dry flaky skin with certain compounds I make myself using differnt essential oils, carrier oils, waxes and butters. I tried the pharmaceuticals and it left my skin so much dryer then the tea tree and was half as effective. I also make a ultra vitamin E soap using wheat germ to hydrate and heal any scaring after. This unfortunate problem I now have encouraged me to get into alternative skin remedies.

Has anyone been taking the primrose path since I posted this thread?
I have been taking 1300mg everyday for a month and noticed some changes.

- I sleep less without being tired and am getting up earlier
- I am less moody, more optimistic and hopeful
- I am more focused
- I have less of an appetite
- I have not had any new skin problems
- I feel overall healthier

I hope this is a new trend for me. I read that evening primrose has the highest percentage of gamma linolenic acid, apparently the only other source is found in mothers milk which makes sense why it is so beneficial.

Has anyone been taking the primrose path since I posted this thread?
I have been taking 1300mg everyday for a month and noticed some changes.

- I sleep less without being tired and am getting up earlier
- I am less moody, more optimistic and hopeful
- I am more focused
- I have less of an appetite
- I have not had any new skin problems
- I feel overall healthier

I hope this is a new trend for me. I read that evening primrose has the highest percentage of gamma linolenic acid, apparently the only other source is found in mothers milk which makes sense why it is so beneficial.
Its probably the weather :)

I started using the Solgar 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil about a week ago. From what I read, it might take a few months to be effective for any skin related problems after one starts using it.

One thing you mentioned in a prior post was steam 20 minutes. That gave me the idea of going to my gym and sitting in a sauna for the same time since it doesn't have a steam room. I have noticed improvement and this has made me drink more water, something I had slacked off the last few weeks. Now I am drinking at least a gallon a day, if not more, with half of that just in those 20 minutes.

Thanks

I started using the Solgar 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil about a week ago. From what I read, it might take a few months to be effective for any skin related problems after one starts using it.

One thing you mentioned in a prior post was steam 20 minutes. That gave me the idea of going to my gym and sitting in a sauna for the same time since it doesn't have a steam room. I have noticed improvement and this has made me drink more water, something I had slacked off the last few weeks. Now I am drinking at least a gallon a day, if not more, with half of that just in those 20 minutes.

Thanks
I don't think they know for sure the time frame the primrose works. I noticed it within a few weeks for female issues which is usually the root to my mood problem and mental clarity. I will see during my next blood check if it worked on my cholesterol.

I'm glad the heat treatment is working, make sure you wash your face with a mild soap and warm water while your pores are still open. It's smart to keep hydrated, saunas can be very depleting of minerals. Also, keep a watch on your potassium, anything that helps you lose water can also take potassium from your body.

Have you tried the tea tree oil on the acne? I swear by it as a topical treatment. I believe everyone should have tea tree oil in thier medicine cabinet, especially if you have children. It works for blemishes, cuts, bug bites, foot fungus, toothaches and more.

Last edited: