Expensive Wine: Can You Tell the Difference?

Yes..

The difference between Opus One, and Two buck chuck is noticeable...

As is the difference between a cheap Pinot like Yellowtail, vs a Santa Margherita

Though something like a Beaujolais Nouveau is usually cheap and a nice drinking wine

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L6YWVGXYmAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bah cant embed :-(

http://youtu.be/L6YWVGXYmAg

Last edited:
I would prefer to ignore price and go by the experience and ratings. I prefer Prosecco (in crimp-top bottles) to Champagne, and a lot of cheaper wine suits me fine.

Do you like Cava?

I would prefer to ignore price and go by the experience and ratings. I prefer Prosecco (in crimp-top bottles) to Champagne, and a lot of cheaper wine suits me fine.
Generally closer to champagne than prosecco, my favorite as a reasonably priced bubbly.
If I want sweet bubbly, I've gone for sparkling moscato.

I found a really cheap red wine, that I enjoy. It's "Excelsior," from South Africa. I asked a guy at Holbrook Liquors at Costco about it. He said it's really good for a $6 wine. Be warned, it's a screw cap. lol

If you pour a glass of wine into a black wine glass most people can't tell if it's red or white. I can't taste difference expensive versus inexpensive wine but I can't taste edifference between poorly made wine versus well made wines

justme

homo economicus
It’s odd to me how important it is to some people that wine prices are bullshit and people who pay for expensive bottles are suckers.

I guesss it’s the same as saying no ho is worth $xxx...

It’s odd to me how important it is to some people that wine prices are bullshit and people who pay for expensive bottles are suckers.

I guesss it’s the same as saying no ho is worth $xxx...
I have had $100 bottles of wine (picked out by a customer who claimed he was a wine connoisseur—and yeah was on me) and my at home wines are in $9-11 range. I could tell the difference but simply wasn't worth the extra money to me. Big difference in scotch though between JW Red and JW Black (to me) but I don't see a remarkable difference in taste for the Blue, Gold etc., compared to the remarkable difference in price.
My opinion is if someone can't tell the difference and buys (or rents in the case of a ho) the more expensive stuff he is a sucker—if he can tell and has the $'s he isn't.

justme

homo economicus
Tonight I am enjoying a bottle of 09 Domaine Allary. It is arguably the best Boudreaux I’ve had since an 05 Pomerol I enjoyed 5 years ago.

I paid less than it’s going for now. And I’m sure a number of people would be irritated that I’m drinking it now, as the price will likely rise a bit more as people like me drink the very limited supply.

So does it qualify as a good deal if I paid what will likely be a fraction of the final price? Does it qualify as a good deal if I remember, as I suspect I will, the wine for some time? What’s the price for a memorable experience?

...... What’s the price for a memorable experience?
From Econ 101 it is based on the utility of what you are buying vs the other uses you have for the $'s. So if you are making 50K/yr and have 3 kids the price has to be low (for the memorable experience) and if you are Bill Gates it can be high.

Although the thread title was about telling the difference and not about qualifying as a good deal here is a hypothetical question that I think is apropos to your post: Would you felt it was a good deal if someone found out that you had the 09 Domaine Allary and offered to buy it from you at what you referred to as the final price?