Ethiopian in NYC

I'm not a big fan of injera bread, the texture is a bit too spongy for my taste, but I think the best Ethiopian food I've had in NYC is Queen Of Sheba on 10th and 46th. It's a small neighborhood place with lovely service and reasonable prices. And, across the street is one of the best Mexican places in Manhattan.

justme

homo economicus
Not that it helps any of you, but the communities in Los Angeles and Houston also support decent restaurants. There is some place, maybe Minnesota, that is also supposed to surprisingly have a large community.

I've always thought it was strange that Ethiopians didn't settle in New York. Maybe they need more space.

Amazingly, there are two places in Pittsburgh (within a block from each other) that are serviceable especially for veg options, but neither serve kitfo or lamb dishes. It's another reason I should visit friends in the district soon.

I'm not a big fan of injera bread, the texture is a bit too spongy for my taste, but I think the best Ethiopian food I've had in NYC is Queen Of Sheba on 10th and 46th. It's a small neighborhood place with lovely service and reasonable prices. And, across the street is one of the best Mexican places in Manhattan.
To me, Queen of Sheba is exactly the kind of NYC Ethiopian place that seems good enough until you go to DC and see how much better that kind of food can be.

I'm totally with you on the Mexican place across the street, though. (And the taco stand in the back of the Mexican deli one block north.)

Thanks Alison and JL, I have just learned about the Queen of Sheba and will give it a try. Next time I'm in DC, I'll have to do a comparison and check out the Eithiopian Restaurants there.

Em, have you been to this place?

Hail to the Queen!

Chels

Thanks Alison and JL, I have just learned about the Queen of Sheba and will give it a try. Next time I'm in DC, I'll have to do a comparison and check out the Eithiopian Restaurants there.

Em, have you been to this place?

Hail to the Queen!

Chels
I haven't tried Queen of Sheba but Alison has exellent taste so I am sure it's great.

I tried the Ethiopian restuarant on York last week. Good, but not as good as DC. The injara (sp) was a little sour but ok, the chicken dish and veggies were delicious. I noticed a crepe place next door. I am sure it is not as good as Paris but I would love to give it a try.