Espresso / Cappucino for home use

Does anyone have any experience with home use Espresso / Cappucino makers ? And the blends of coffee ? I would be interested in the best for the best price. Thanks

Unless you want to spend a ton of money on a professional machine, the "Moka Pot" is still the best, most efficient way to make espresso.

You can get yourself one of those fancy cappuccino machines but unless you pop for a professional one (prob $500-$1000 or more) all you're going to get is a Mr Coffee with a steam nozzle and espresso wasn't meant to be brewed the same as coffee.

Thats good advice on the Moka Pot. Just be sure to get one in stainless steel. Some of the cheaper ones made of aluminum arent coated on the inside so the coffee combines chemically with the aluminum. You might as well sip espresso and run your tongue across the aluminum siding on someones house.

espresso makers/ coffee makers

Having just wasted money on a Krups espresso machine, I agree with Ozzy. To broaden the discussions slightly, does anyone know anything abot the home coffeemakers that both grind the beans and make the coffee? (Cuisineart has one.)

I used to go to the Italian joints in Ozone Pk and Corona.

But since those joints are a world away for you try the Brazil Coffee House... There's one on Vernon Blvd right above the Midtown tunnel (48st?) and another on 30th and Lex. They make a caipirinha espresso where they add cachaca and the rind of a lime, their variation of an anisette and espresso. They also have an iced version which is more like a cappuccino.

And try their Coxinha's.

Try the Nespresso C100 Essenza, it comes with sealed capsules so it stays fresh, does not make a mess and is easy to clean. It goes for arond $170***0.

If you're going to get an espresso maker just make sure that it brews by steaming upwards rather than dripping down. That's how the Moka Pot works. Espresso is brewed by steam, not by dripping water.

Lavazza makes an automatic machine for the home that come with the sealed catridges. Prolly a G. Its been out for a while and is prety popular in small offices and homes. they have a new system coming out called Blue. Wait and see.

Illy also has a home system thats been advertised in the Times the last couple of years. Real colorful funky design but have not tried it yet. They ship you everything montly.

When I need a macchiato, cappucino, or a shot i usually head to Fortunatos in Brooklyn off Metro in Williamsburgh. Always made a good one and has a nice bar to sit. Actually was practically raised in there. Its on Manhatan Ave a block away grom Metropolitan. The orange chairs should still be there!

Lavazza makes an automatic machine for the home that come with the sealed catridges. Prolly a G. Its been out for a while and is prety popular in small offices and homes. they have a new system coming out called Blue. Wait and see.

Illy also has a home system thats been advertised in the Times the last couple of years. Real colorful funky design but have not tried it yet. They ship you everything montly.

When I need a macchiato, cappucino, or a shot i usually head to Fortunatos in Brooklyn off Metro in Williamsburgh. Always made a good one and has a nice bar to sit. Actually was practically raised in there. Its on Manhatan Ave a block away grom Metropolitan. The orange chairs should still be there!
i have that machine best one i ever owned, i have one in my store i offer it to any ginny that comes in the store they love and most of the time end up buying one !! it cost me $750 for the machine and $55 for the box of 100 cartridges. I grew with Espresso my parents are off the boat Italian so when my father could afford he went out and got the same machine you see in the restaurants for i think it was $4500 back in the '80's and that was a good cup !! along comes the lavazza machine and blew that thing away! i still can't believe it .

there are two problems with that little coffee pot. it tends to burn the coffee a little bit and people tend to put to much water weakening the coffee. in order to get a good cup i really should be no more then an ounce or two and should have that Creme on the top AKA skumo, but in a pinch that little coffee maker is great!

the same guy who sells the machine has a coffee shop in Huntington off 110 , he roasts his own coffee and i usually get freshly roasted from him, and as you can see from this rant sometimes i drink to much of that coffee !! but i must say this guy has the best Colombian coffee ... he goes there himself and meets the farmers and stuff , he uses alot of the Organic coffee's. i happen to like his Colombian coffee.......those Colombians know three things good, 1.coffee 2.women 3.coke!

Last edited:
Unless you want to spend a ton of money on a professional machine, the "Moka Pot" is still the best, most efficient way to make espresso.

I'm a real ginny and I have to say this really is the best way to make espresso. We always had one in the house. Tastes great. Many times, the tried, true and simple are also the best.

Last edited:
I love my little moka pot, but I have a Lavazza Blue machine. A friend in California is a distributer so I got it at wholesale. Best thing I ever got. I even make my client espresso if they want it, now that good service. I swear, they cum not just for me, but the coffee too.

I love my little moka pot, but I have a Lavazza Blue machine. A friend in California is a distributer so I got it at wholesale. Best thing I ever got. I even make my client espresso if they want it, now that good service. I swear, they cum not just for me, but the coffee too.
I take a double espresso with a twist of lemon peel. And I know about the whole lemon peel reason...but I just like the hint of lemon in my espresso.

Is that the Lavazza machine that takes the pods? Thoose pods fit in my Senso machine to and they make a great cup of regular coffee too.

I drink one cup a day so I make it count

I had a Delonghi cappuccino machine for one and it was great. It lasted a long while until my cat knocked it over into thier water and it broke. I could not find another Delonghi so I bought a Krupps. Both were under $100 and makes a great cappuccino/espresso. You can even get a grinder (they are cheap) and buy whole bean American coffee of your choice and grind it to fine to make a cup at a time of regular Joe.

Lately I have been lazy and drink Mount Hagen organic instant coffee. I tried it in England and I became an instant coffee fan. I swear it tastes better than anything out you can buy in a Starbucks or that kind of place. It doesn't have that horrible bitterness where you can taste the grinds. It has more of a chocolaty flavor and never smells acidic. Occasionally, I still like a cappuccino every once and while, Illy's fine ground dark roast is my favorite espresso brand.

=fairemily;705991] drink Mount Hagen organic instant coffee. Illy's fine ground dark roast /QUOTE]

These can be found ? Regular supermarket ? Specialty shop ? Thanks Emily