Episodes

If anyone chooses to read my initial posts, you will see that I was simply describing the discriminatory treatment African Americans have received at Episodes, and I gave a personal example. I believe that my reports were quite reasonable. You'll also see that I was then attacked personally by this Intown person, who accused me of everything from being heartless to having BO. I don't know about anyone else , but it is not my nature to sit back and allow personal attacks, especially since they were unprovoked by me. Unfortunately, I found it necessary to lower myself to his level in order to deal with his idiotic rhetoric. Finally, I simply gave up trying to engage him in any sort of meaningful dialog, since he only has empathy for his ($40)"friends", and to hell with anyone else.
I'm sure if he was in the South during the 1960's, he would be complaining about all these Nigras boycotting Woolworth's because it interfered with his ability to get a ham sandwhich there in peace. He'd probably say the protesters should have been more concerned with the feelings of the cook or clerks at Woolworths , and that they should just "get over" any feelings they have about their mistreatment because that's just "baggage"

justme

homo economicus
jjhunsecker, let me do for you what I wish someone had done for me a few weeks back.

You may be the most compassionate, intelligent, and well meaning person in the world. But in this thread, you're comming off like a rabid idiot.

(and that goes for It, too)

justme

homo economicus
More to the point:

Rational discussion, even heated (heck, I called my friend rufus intellectually dishonest in this thread and I'm pretty sure we both consider that a pretty defamatory statement.) rational discussion is good for everyone. Even when there's no consensus, at least the discussion circulates ideas and exposes everyone to different viewpoints.

Flame wars, however, only serve to satisfy rather childish needs in the participants. The 'net is an annonymous place, and so you get a lot of stupid comments. But as in all other aspects, the annonymity of the 'net devalues each individual statement (don't believe what you read online, etc.). Insults that I would never ignore if they were said to my face in real life are most appropriately shrugged off when made online.

I think anyone should feel pretty dumb if their flame war results in a thread being moved to the Colloseum.