Entertainment and Expense Accounts

Let's see how much you know. You said they'll get rehired next week. It's public info when their licenses transfer. I'll be sure to check next week to see if you were correct. Care to bet or are you gonna look for a face saving way to squirm out of this.
LMAO you said they’ll NEVER GET REHIRED ELSEWHERE. Sure my jest of oh please they will be hired in week is likely a bit aggressive BUT I assure you that they will be rehired.
“NEVER GET REHIRED ELSEWHERE” is truly laughable.

They'd make a fraction of the income and there are plenty of other qualified guys without a blemished U5. Any license transfer is still public reported do we'll know of any new jobs they get and I'll will check in a few weeks just to show how wrong you guys are .
This is true..
Guy I knew was censured by his well known firm for trading outside the lines despite an excellent track record..
He disappeared for a while only to surface at a back room/ boilermaker type of shop whose website appeared to be designed by 10 year olds..
Too sine of these individuals the loss of prestige is just as detrimental

If they fired everyone who went to a strip club with a client or coworker, there would be no one left on the street.

I can think of plenty of firing offenses where guys will get blacklisted. This isn’t one of them, especially for the private firms like PE or HF shops where there’s a lot less disclosure

This is true..
Guy I knew was censured by his well known firm for trading outside the lines despite an excellent track record..
He disappeared for a while only to surface at a back room/ boilermaker type of shop whose website appeared to be designed by 10 year olds..
Too sine of these individuals the loss of prestige is just as detrimental
these guys submitted an expense for a strip club. Others were lumped in for covering it up. That’s actually the larger concern. These guys did not do something as concerning as trading outside of the lines though.
I know several people that have had to leave firms for their expenses in recent years. Especially as COVID dried up all the travel and entertainment items that might crowd out a few eyebrow raising items. Lol one ended up at a better fund too.
Considering the revolving door of Wells notices served at top funds, I think described “rainmakers” for performance will be ok with a strip club expense.

pokler

Power Bottom
If they fired everyone who went to a strip club with a client or coworker, there would be no one left on the street.

I can think of plenty of firing offenses where guys will get blacklisted. This isn’t one of them, especially for the private firms like PE or HF shops where there’s a lot less disclosure
To get these types of jobs where you are dealing with large amounts on money your reputation and background must me impeccable and above suspicion. These guys no Longer meet those standards since they tried to steal money from their banks which submitting false expense claims really boils down to .

Well I don’t have much skin in that game since I am not a billionaire, but I don’t see how he is going to tax unrealized gains. So would you then take unrealized losses?
I am just grateful the only increase they made on carried interest was merely a ding on short term gains and is easily worked around.
Agree tax thing is a joke. Like the real rich owns anything in their own name!

Annoying thing about the broker freebies still left is they have to put a sales person there with you even if it’s for game in the corp box at MSG or Yankee Stadium. I like my sales guys but don’t wanna hang with them for 3-4 hours u know?!? Between that and dealing with my own compliance, just easier to pay out of my own pocket

It sounds like the termination was because of the submission of the expense and ensuing cover up. It’s quite common for the offense itself not to be the determining factor but instead the lies that follow.
I think ypu are right. The problem isn't submitting an expense that is against company rules. for example if the expense was for (and written as) entertainment and food in the course of entertaining business clients, the comp[any could either deny, accept or require more info. No problem. The problem is creating a false business instrument which is a crime (in NY anyway.

pokler

Power Bottom
I think ypu are right. The problem isn't submitting an expense that is against company rules. for example if the expense was for (and written as) entertainment and food in the course of entertaining business clients, the comp[any could either deny, accept or require more info. No problem. The problem is creating a false business instrument which is a crime (in NY anyway.
Exactly. Any reputable Wall Street firm cant employ or hire someone who has been accused of financial wrong doing.
In fact many big banks are expelling clients who have been convicted of financial crimes.

My 2 cents is that this would be considered a infraction which gave cause for letting them go ad well as to save $$.
Now as far as a U5 being unacceptable for
A major bank or Asset management firm, I highly doubt that. It’s about the book of biz they can bring. My guess these guys pop up somewhere, timeframe,figurative,
But not never. Yes maybe unfair but that’s how it is, Brian Hunter ( advises), Mike Milken ( went to jail worth maybe 300-500mm now he’s worth 3.8billion. And the list goes on and on. Have sympathy for the regular guys who have to save face that are still at the firm.

pokler

Power Bottom
My 2 cents is that this would be considered a infraction which gave cause for letting them go ad well as to save $$.
Now as far as a U5 being unacceptable for
A major bank or Asset management firm, I highly doubt that. It’s about the book of biz they can bring. My guess these guys pop up somewhere, timeframe,figurative,
But not never. Yes maybe unfair but that’s how it is, Brian Hunter ( advises), Mike Milken ( went to jail worth maybe 300-500mm now he’s worth 3.8billion. And the list goes on and on. Have sympathy for the regular guys who have to save face that are still at the firm.

You're also dwelling in the past.
Four or five years ago they may have gotten a pass but not now .

I don’t think anything derogatory would appear on a U5. One has nothing to do with the other. No negligence pertaining to client (s). Finra is concerned with violations that woul affect client or malfeasance. I only see poor judgment and no intention to commit fraud.
im sure we could go back and forth all day, but let’s see, maybe your correct or we’re both a little right.

You obviously know little about this industry in todays woke world .
It depends on the arbitrage assessment. It's the bean counting in the end. IF they were earners, they'll do time in corporate hell and comeback to produce anew. If they were not, they will be used to show "corporations care" and commoditized in that way.

It was back then, and still is today, all about the bottom line.

pokler

Power Bottom
It depends on the arbitrage assessment. It's the bean counting in the end. IF they were earners, they'll do time in corporate hell and comeback to produce anew. If they were not, they will be used to show "corporations care" and commoditized in that way.

It was back then, and still is today, all about the bottom line.

If it were just about bottom line banks would not be asking ( then telling ) good and profitable clients to leave when it's discovered that years ago they were convinced or pled guilty of a financial crime.

If it were just about bottom line banks would not be asking ( then telling ) good and profitable clients to leave when it's discovered that years ago they were convinced or pled guilty of a financial crime.

That is about bottom line. It's not that they give a fig. It is about getting sucked into expensive vortex' that impact legal fee costs, affect corporate branding and thus potential business.

It's about the money. It is always about the money.

pokler

Power Bottom
That is about bottom line. It's not that they give a fig. It is about getting sucked into expensive vortex' that impact legal fee costs, affect corporate branding and thus potential business.

It's about the money. It is always about the money.
Yes it's about the bottom line but in the past few years firms have been much more focused on what they are calling " reputational risk "
And putting monetary value on that risk.

The reputational risk and the resulting money hit of keeping those strip club clowns will keep them unemployed in this biz a long time .

Yes it's about the bottom line but in the past few years firms have been much more focused on what they are calling " reputational risk "
And putting monetary value on that risk.

The reputational risk and the resulting money hit of keeping those strip club clowns will keep them unemployed in this biz a long time .
On the first, we are now totally on the same page.

As to the second, we agree it will cost them. We just seem to differ on how much.

You make a valid point that the cost to reputation is real, and will be assessed. I concur. I simply contend the bean counters will do their fiduciary algebra and determine if there is still any worth in them. If a smaller outfit with marginal earnings thinks they can make bank at a greater net gain than cost they'll bring 'em onboard. Not unlike a sports franchise taking on a player with past problems who is still perceived as a net plus as an on field performer.

They get a shot, out of the limelight, at lesser bucks. If they show they still can perform they'll work their way back.

It is the way of such things.

The reputation thing is real for sure but like firing guys for charging strip clubs, if I stopped doing business as a buy-side PM with every bank/broker that had a scandal I would literally be doing business with nobody. tbh, I can name a "scandal" that took place in the last 10 yrs at every one of my top 10 brokers.....I do business with the devil not because I want to but because I have to :)

pokler

Power Bottom
On the first, we are now totally on the same page.

As to the second, we agree it will cost them. We just seem to differ on how much.

You make a valid point that the cost to reputation is real, and will be assessed. I concur. I simply contend the bean counters will do their fiduciary algebra and determine if there is still any worth in them. If a smaller outfit with marginal earnings thinks they can make bank at a greater net gain than cost they'll bring 'em onboard. Not unlike a sports franchise taking on a player with past problems who is still perceived as a net plus as an on field performer.

They get a shot, out of the limelight, at lesser bucks. If they show they still can perform they'll work their way back.

It is the way of such things.

Yeah they'll resurface somewhere down road kinda like a NY Yankee being fired for stealing from the ballclub and ends up in the minor leagues.

pokler

Power Bottom
The reputation thing is real for sure but like firing guys for charging strip clubs, if I stopped doing business as a buy-side PM with every bank/broker that had a scandal I would literally be doing business with nobody. tbh, I can name a "scandal" that took place in the last 10 yrs at every one of my top 10 brokers.....I do business with the devil not because I want to but because I have to :)
Putting personal expense on a company card is a form of fraud and then the cover up. It could if been and person expense .

About the only thing the banks can charge under T&E normally these days are meals, tickets, and booze.... but even then some firms have a a per person cap on those. No more fudging with the T&E reimbursements like the old days. Software tracks literally everything. Fuckers tried to force me to carry an in-office bluetooth tracker when I went back to the office after 2 yrs of Covid..... went straight into the desk drawer wrapped in aluminum foil... lmao... got that advice from my own IT guy.