Energy Drinks

My name is Kimmie, and I am an energy drink - a - holic.

I first tried Red Bull, it taste nasty, so I stopped that and found Monster and now..TAB!

I have one as soon as I wake up so I wont go back to bed( I am not a morning person so this is a great drink for me) And then I drink about two to three more bottles throught the day to keep me going!

I think someone found a way to add coke, (and I dont mean the soda) to drinks and sell it retail.

My only concern is all this sugar.. Other then that, this stuff is genius!

The Sugar is the Problem

Kimmie,

If you were to stop your sugar intake, or at least reduce it by 50%, you would start to lose weight quicker. Try the sugar free versions of the energy drink....and also drink a lot of water. If you stop the sugar, you will lose the weight.

SFO

sfo said:
Kimmie,

If you were to stop your sugar intake, or at least reduce it by 50%, you would start to lose weight quicker. Try the sugar free versions of the energy drink....and also drink a lot of water. If you stop the sugar, you will lose the weight.

SFO

Kimmie, It's also the Job related High protein intake that you have. If you are on a high protein diet, you have to make sure that you are burning those calories

Kimmie said:
My name is Kimmie, and I am an energy drink - a - holic.

I first tried Red Bull, it taste nasty, so I stopped that and found Monster and now..TAB!

I have one as soon as I wake up so I wont go back to bed( I am not a morning person so this is a great drink for me) And then I drink about two to three more bottles throught the day to keep me going!

I think someone found a way to add coke, (and I dont mean the soda) to drinks and sell it retail.

My only concern is all this sugar.. Other then that, this stuff is genius!
Do u think it's better than Redline? I take that b4 the gym (now that my supply of original Stacker 3 ran out). Only problem is, the Redline taste isn't much better than RedBull.

Kimmie said:
My name is Kimmie, and I am an energy drink - a - holic......
I have one as soon as I wake up so I wont go back to bed( I am not a morning person so this is a great drink for me) And then I drink about two to three more bottles throught the day to keep me going!....this stuff is genius!
It's not really genius to load up a drink with caffeine. The original 1886 recipe for Coca-Cola had cocaine and was replaced with caffeine when it became illegal.
The thing in sports drinks that gets you "the day to keep me going" is the caffeine and maybe a sugar high.

You might as well take a caffeine pill (NoDoz is one) and a couple of teaspoons of sugar and you can possibly save some money (semi-joking). If you want to save on the sugar calories just take the caffeine pill. Also a sugar high stimulates your appetite (when the blood sugar drops because of insulin production).

Starbucks has very high levels of caffeine in their coffee - multiples of regular coffee. I used to stop on the way to work and read my paper and drink some coffee but had to stop that as I became a raving lunatic when I got to work (it was getting too expensive to replace employees). If I go there now I tell them to mix half-caff/half decaf.

Caffeine is a proven performance booster (mental and physical) and other than the stuff being mildly addictive (I suffered a couple of days of headaches and was dragging my ass a bit when I stopped Starbucks) there aren't many bad side effects (amounts within reason).

Almost every brand of energy drink now makes a sugar free diet version so sugar content is no longer an issue. Monster is a good one with many good flavors. Rock Star brand.... the one whos logo is "party like a Rock Star" makes a berry flavor that is really good.

Personally I find very little effects of drinking them. I'll drink one on the golf course rather than a beer cause like a gatorade it tends to quench thirst but I find no added energy... But I'm someone who can drink twenty espressos and not bounce off the walls.

I think the crap in the Red Bulls and some others that tastes like shit is the taurine. Its an amino acid found in plants.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/taurine3-2.html

Therapeutic Applications of Taurine

by Timothy C. Birdsall, ND

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract

Taurine is a conditionally-essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis, but rather is found free or in simple peptides. Taurine has been shown to be essential in certain aspects of mammalian development, and in vitro studies in various species have demonstrated that low levels of taurine are associated with various pathological lesions, including cardiomyopathy, retinal degeneration, and growth retardation, especially if deficiency occurs during development. Metabolic actions of taurine include: bile acid conjugation, detoxification, membrane stabilization, osmoregulation, and modulation of cellular calcium levels. Clinically, taurine has been used with varying degrees of success in the treatment of a wide variety of conditions, including: cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, epilepsy and other seizure disorders, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, hepatic disorders, alcoholism, and cystic fibrosis. (Alt Med Rev 1998;3(2):128-136)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Taurine (2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, see Figure 1) is a conditionally-essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis, but rather is found free or in simple peptides. First discovered as a component of ox bile in 1827, it was not until 1975 that the significance of taurine in human nutrition was identified, when it was discovered that formula-fed, pre-term infants were not able to sustain normal plasma or urinary taurine levels.1 Signs of taurine deficiency have also been detected in children on long-term, total parenteral nutrition,2 and in patients with "blind-loop" syndrome.3 In vivo studies in various species have shown taurine to be essential in certain aspects of mammalian development, and have demonstrated that low levels of taurine are associated with various pathological lesions, including cardiomyopathy, retinal degeneration, and growth retardation, especially if deficiency occurs during development.4

Derived from methionine and cysteine metabolism, taurine is known to play an important role in numerous physiological functions. While conjugation of bile acids is perhaps its best-known function, this accounts for only a small proportion of the total body pool of taurine in humans. Other metabolic actions of taurine include: detoxification, membrane stabilization, osmoregulation, and modulation of cellular calcium levels. Clinically, taurine has been used in the treatment of a wide variety of conditions, including: cardiovascular diseases, epilepsy and other seizure disorders, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, hepatic disorders, and cystic fibrosis. An analog of taurine, acamprosate, has been used as a treatment for alcoholism.

Biochemistry and Metabolism

Although frequently referred to as an amino acid, it should be noted that the taurine molecule contains a sulfonic acid group, rather than the carboxylic acid moiety found in other amino acids. Unlike true amino acids, taurine is not incorporated into proteins, and is one of the most abundant free amino acids in many tissues, including skeletal and cardiac muscle, and the brain.5

In the body, taurine is synthesized from the essential amino acid methionine and its related non-essential amino acid cysteine (see Figure 2). There are three known pathways for the synthesis of taurine from cysteine. All three pathways require pyridoxal-5'-phosphate (P5P), the active coenzyme form of vitamin B6, as a cofactor. A vitamin B6 deficiency has been shown to impair taurine synthesis.6

The activity of cysteine sulfinic acid decarboxylase (CSAD), the enzyme which converts both cysteine sulfinic acid into hypotaurine, and cysteic acid into taurine, is thought to reflect the capacity for taurine synthesis.7 Compared to other mammals, humans have relatively low CSAD activity, and therefore possibly lower capacity for taurine synthesis.8 Much of the published research on taurine has involved studies done on cats, which do not synthesize taurine, but must consume it in their diet.5 Therefore, since humans have the capacity to synthesize at least some taurine, it is unclear to what extent feline studies can be extrapolated to humans.

[snip]

Last edited:
And adding alcohol to any energy drink is dangerous. I'm fairly certain in NYS it is now illegal for bars to serve you a mixture of alcohol and Red Bull or whatever (it was a version of a screwdriver). It's tantamount to a poor mans speed-ball and people were stroking out and having heart attacks.

sfo said:
Kimmie,

SFO
absolutely... for those with a sweet tooth this is essential in losing weight. I stopped drinking sugar drinks and loaded up on diet snapples and crystle light years ago when I dropped weight. Now there's a much wider variety of diet drinks and with the invention of "splenda" they taste even better now. Just do the math if you're drinking even two cokes a day and see how it adds up. I even stopped drinking jack n coke as a result.

Last edited:
Bigd18 said:
Kimmie, It's also the Job related High protein intake that you have. If you are on a high protein diet, you have to make sure that you are burning those calories
Ohhhh kimmie dont play that anymore.

I dont mind CIM, but the only thing I swallow is my own spit..oh and water...and Energy drinks..

I stopped that when I got involved with some dude for a few months last year, and stayed true to him...What a waste of time that was..

But I stuck with it afterwards. It seems to be cool with my clients. As long as I lick it, suck it and slam it, they dont mind that the ending has changed.

MetroJay1 said:
Does Tab eneryy taste different than regular tab? Just curious.
Tab is new to me, but a client told me it was a drink a few decades ago? ( before MY time :O) )

It's good though. I brought a case load today. It doesnt give me as much of an energy boost as Monster or Full Throttle, but it only has 5 calories, and no carbs.

Plus the bottle is a cute pink color!

genius said:
It's not really genius to load up a drink with caffeine. The original 1886 recipe for Coca-Cola had cocaine and was replaced with caffeine when it became illegal.
The thing in sports drinks that gets you "the day to keep me going" is the caffeine and maybe a sugar high.

You might as well take a caffeine pill (NoDoz is one) and a couple of teaspoons of sugar and you can possibly save some money (semi-joking). If you want to save on the sugar calories just take the caffeine pill. Also a sugar high stimulates your appetite (when the blood sugar drops because of insulin production).

Starbucks has very high levels of caffeine in their coffee - multiples of regular coffee. I used to stop on the way to work and read my paper and drink some coffee but had to stop that as I became a raving lunatic when I got to work (it was getting too expensive to replace employees). If I go there now I tell them to mix half-caff/half decaf.
I only drown myself in coffee after a night of hanging out. And since I am a good girl now, I dont touch that crap. Plus Orange County NY doesnt have a Starbucks...

The last think I need is no Doz. I take meds to help me sleep because of my serious insomnia, I cant add another pill or I will be officially called a pill popper..

I dont see why some are so against these drinks. I still drink my water, but damn the drinks give you an amazing feeling when its 1pm and you just woke up and have to drag your ass to your car, when all you want to do is sleep until...6pm

Kimmie said:
The last think I need is no Doz. I take meds to help me sleep because of my serious insomnia, I cant add another pill or I will be officially called a pill popper..

I dont see why some are so against these drinks. I still drink my water, but damn the drinks give you an amazing feeling when its 1pm and you just woke up and have to drag your ass to your car, when all you want to do is sleep until...6pm
NoDoz is just the same caffeine that is in the drinks w/o the water.
Just an observation: You are taking loads of caffeine (energy drinks and the like) to wake up and meds to sleep because of insomnia. Eliminate the caffeine (maybe at the beginning of the day is ok because your body has time to metabolize the caffeine - however some people take a lot longer as per recent article in NYT) and you may find you need less meds for insomnia.

Last edited:
Try Liquid Ice, its not everywhere yet but tastes much better than red bull. Color is like a cosmo (light blue) nad mixes well with many liquors, but best with a shot of pravda.

I wish ther were still putting ephedra in stuff. Too musch caffeine makes me grind my teethe and get a headache, but old ephedra energy pills or drinks, I think snapple made one, really did the trick for me. Damn ball players abusing the stuff.

Orange County Starbucks...

1st -- I agree - cut the sugar - cut the weight - worked for me.

2nd -- NO Starbucks in OC? Not as long as I live there!

Target Monroe T-2024
128 Bailey Farm Rd
Monroe NY, ***26
United States

2. Central Valley/Woodbury Commons
400 Evergreen Ct
Central Valley NY, ***17
United States

3. Sloatsburg Travel Plaza
MM-33 N
Sloatsburg NY, ***74
United States

4. Target Newburgh T-2076
50 SR Rte 17K
Newburgh NY, 12550
United States

( south of orange cty )

5. Suffern/Airmont
215 Route 59
Airmont NY, ***01
United States

6. Ramsey
8 West Main Street
Ramsey NJ, 07446
United States

Wandering Bull said:
1st -- I agree - cut the sugar - cut the weight - worked for me.

2nd -- NO Starbucks in OC? Not as long as I live there!

Target Monroe T-2024
128 Bailey Farm Rd
Monroe NY, ***26
United States
That Target was built not even 6 months ago, plus I dont live near Monroe. NEXT!

2. Central Valley/Woodbury Commons
400 Evergreen Ct
Central Valley NY, ***17
United States
I dont even know what a central valley is.... ok?

3. Sloatsburg Travel Plaza
MM-33 N
Sloatsburg NY, ***74
United States
Sloats freakin burgh is Rockland County.NEXT!

4. Target Newburgh T-2076
50 SR Rte 17K
Newburgh NY, 12550
United States

( south of orange cty )
Not even cops go to Newburgh....ok?

5. Suffern/Airmont
215 Route 59
Airmont NY, ***01
United States
HELLO??? Thats bloody Rockland County!!!

6. Ramsey
8 West Main Street
Ramsey NJ, 07446
United States
HELLO!!! Thats bloody New Jersey.

Last edited:
On the subject of Energy Drinks, does anyone else have any experience with using them in conjunction with ED meds.

I am now well into my 60's and still rarely need to use ED meds. I usually only take them when I think that I want to or need to have more than one pop within an hour or two. So as a person whose career has largely been involved in science, I still have a lot of curiosity and willing to experiment once in a while and have been researching ways to make ED meds more effective at the same dose.

In my experience, some of the energy drinks do actually boost the effectiveness of the ED mds. The boost is usually not a large one, but even a small boost can make a difference. I've tried perhaps 6 0r 7 different drinks, and the one that works best is Sun Tsu.

If you decide to try them, keep in mind that as everything in this arena, YMMV.

Last edited: