Email Weirdities

Esteemed SlinkMeister,

I often get email from people on this board. When I hit "reply" to email them back, my reply bounces. Then I notice that their reply-to address is UtopiaGuide@coalminer.ai.net and there is a separate line saying "The members reply email address is: wazoo@tunafish.com". So I then have to resend the reply by copying their actual email address by hand. (Yes of course I cut and paste but it's still a pain in the ass, especially because I never notice it the first time).

What up, Slink? Can you fix this? Or somehow flag messsages sent this way with a BIG RED SOMETHING OR OTHER so that I immediately see that I have to copy and paste the email address?

I always do my best to reply to email, but when it comes from this site I have no idea where my replies end up.

fishfry
fishfry999@hotmail.com

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Geez - I tried explaining the whole email thing with the profile option, but it's way to much to write down.

fishfry - it ain't broke, just cut and paste the email address when you do a reply.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The reason that it is done this way is:

If we have everything go "back and forth" thru Utopiaguide, and the member sending the email has his "email button turned off", there's no way of responding ( i.e. since the email addy of the sender isn't listed, the system won't send the response along ). So, the choices available to us were:

1) Don't allow "private" email ( i.e. don't turn on this function ).

2) Don't allow users to "hide" their email/turn off email thru the site.

3) Have only "one way" email for those users who have their email "truned off" ( aloows for too much abuse and confusion ).

or 4) Allow for initial contact thru UG, but then put the sender's email in the contact ( which is what we opted for ).

PS Since the email says is comes from "Utopiaguide", it's not that hard - after the first time - to figure out that you're going to have to cut and past the return address, especailly if you get these emails "often".

SB -- the email function doesn't seem to be 100% reliable. For example, I have occasionally used the UG email buttons to send messages to posters abd have subsequently been told that they never received my messages. (Of course, there could be some confusion or misrepresentation on the recipients' parts, but I would like to think that they are telling the truth.)

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
HDB,
Remember, the email shows up as coming from "Utopiaguide", not you, coupled with the "I never got your email" excuse ( BTW This is apparently the number one excuse to the question "How come you didn't write me back...........).

[Edited by slinkybender on 06-05-2001 at 01:02 PM]

HDB -

Also - keep in mind that spam filters can get confused. Depending on how a person's e-mail is set up, where it is (hotmail, etc.) and a few other factors it is possible that your e-mail from utopia is getting filtered out as spam.

Richie, thanks for the insight. If you're correct, then we should all send email messages to ourselves via UG and when hotmail dumps it into bulk mail, we can identify the sender (i.e., UG) as an accepted message source.