Eating and working out...

OK perhaps an odd question... I dont really have time to work out untill the evening. Typically I end up eating and then not wanting to push myself or even work out at all. Should I forego eating till after the workout? Or perhaps just eat light? I obviously will need energy so Im not sure where the balance is.......

Dont flame me plz since its been a long time since I have exercised and I am trying to will myself back. If its a dumb question just ignore me....

quinine said:
OK perhaps an odd question... I dont really have time to work out untill the evening. Typically I end up eating and then not wanting to push myself or even work out at all. Should I forego eating till after the workout? Or perhaps just eat light? I obviously will need energy so Im not sure where the balance is.......

Dont flame me plz since its been a long time since I have exercised and I am trying to will myself back. If its a dumb question just ignore me....
I also have the same dilemma. Do you like to power walk or bike ride? This will work if you don't mind eating out.

Go on the Internet and map out a destination to a restaurant far away from home (over 3 miles walk and 6 miles you bike) and after power walk or cycle home. If you are really hungry take public transportation (this might only work if you walk) to the place and just do the walk home. You can mix up the routine

You get to try new places in another location in town and get some exercise, clear your head and get fresh air also. Of course it's not a heavy workout with weights but better than nothing at all. It will help you get used to exercise again and keep it interesting. Take advance of the favorable weather now to get started. Also I cannot stress enough how a good pair of walking shoes help. They are bit pricey but Mephisto shoes are fantastic. I have the sandals and could walk for hours in them without any discomfort. Good luck.

quinine said:

I thought that was my problem too. Then I started to go to the gym at 5:30 AM. It's made all the difference. I know it's a pain, but I've been doing it for a year 3x/week. If the rest of my day is shit, at least I accomplished something before 7 AM.

depends what type of workout. if you're weightlifting, have a light meal 30-60 minutes before. simple carbs or a protein bar will do. drink water before during and after you weightlift. then for your after workout meal, have a 60/40 protein and carb meal.

Thanks for the info. Im going to take a bit from each of your suggestions and give it a try. Im actually thinking about not hobbying again until I have dropped 30 lbs. Kind of use it as incentive.

Perhaps I should patent this and market it! I will become a mixture of Jack La Lane and Hue Heffner just not as old.

"You give us the pounds and well give you some sex!"

If you're doing cardio an empty stomach is best, preferably first thing in the morning before breakfast. If you're lifting you should have a high protein meal within an hour after you work out. I can't lift if I'm hungry, so I eat a light meal about an hour before I lift.

Some studies have shown, although I cannot cite where I read it anymore, that doing cardio on a fasted state, first thing in the morning, burns about 4-5 hundred percent more calories than normal...fumpton is pretty much on the spot with the weightlifting; but I would also suggest getting a good protein suppliment to take right before sleeping - it keeps your body from using its own muscle as food while you sleep, thus lowering your metabolism.

I wonder if I have a light lunch and no snack would be the same thing as fasting+cardio in the morning. Mornings are out of the question for me unfortunatly..... Again thanks for the info!

forgot one thing. have six small meals throughout the day instead of 3 large ones. This will keep your stomach feeling full throughout the day so you're not gorging during your regular 3 meals. It'll prevents you from overeating. You can count the protein shake and protein bar as part of those 6 meals too.

I prefer EAS Myoplex for extra protein. I've used Met-Rx but to me the EAS tastes better. It's about $50-60 for a box of 18, the Met-Rx is about $40-50 for the same amount. I'm not too big on the creatine--I think that's more for the serious bodybuilders.

supplements beside protein powders and/or Meal Replacements are a waste of money and time. if you feel you need supplements, just use the real stuff. Cheaper and it actually works. Creatine is just water retention. You might as well use test.

I've started to go at 7am on the weekends...back at the house by 9 and feel great the rest of the day. Hard to do during the week with the commute but if I hit 2 days on the weekend and 1-2 during the week should make a difference.

I'm on the train for an hour..if you can get to your gym by 6 AM, put an hour in, shower, etc etc and get into NYC by 9 you s/b OK. I take the weekends off. I just got back from vacation and walked 3 miles a day. Not much, but it was something to keep the body moving.

take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator, get off one subway stop before your normal stop and walk, keep small bags of pretzels or fruit in your drawer so you have something healthier to eat. and keep a bottle of water with you. your muscles need it after working out so they won't cramp up.

dahmer said:
supplements beside protein powders and/or Meal Replacements are a waste of money and time. if you feel you need supplements, just use the real stuff. Cheaper and it actually works. Creatine is just water retention. You might as well use test.
It's not exactly true that Creatine is water retention, when water retention happens, you look flabbier than usual as water is retained under the skin; what creatine does is increase the water concentration in muscle cells, and although it wears out...more water = more weight, which means you burn more calories per second doing whatever you're doing.

What I believe works best for working out is to get free weights or something, and if you're not trying to get really big and bulky, is to just do a few sets of one muscle group per day, doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

acheron72 said:
Some studies have shown, although I cannot cite where I read it anymore, that doing cardio on a fasted state, first thing in the morning, burns about 4-5 hundred percent more calories than normal...fumpton is pretty much on the spot with the weightlifting; but I would also suggest getting a good protein suppliment to take right before sleeping - it keeps your body from using its own muscle as food while you sleep, thus lowering your metabolism.
I recently went to a MMA seminar by a very well known fighter. He actually recommended running 2 miles or doing jump rope before eating breakfast.

The Apprentice

I was a trainer on the side during college, here are some tips:

early morning high intensity cardio is great, but not on an empty stomach persay. You would want some BCAA (branch chain amino acids) in your blood before this happens so your body doesnt decide to take your muscles and eat them up for energy....it'll rather use the aminos in your blood, as well as your glucose which would be almost non existant anyway due to your fasting.

throughout the day snack on high protein foods, protein is more filling (thats what tell all my girls back then it was a nice ice breaker) and once again, helps hold off catabolism.

Try to limit your simple carb intakes to pre/post workouts.

also, high intensity cardio (read about it somewhere) is good not b/c of the direct effect, but rather the longer lasting fat burning effects during the day...the EPOC i believe the acronym was.

Creatine, while it does retain water, increases some vascularity and does allow you to extend anoter rep or two.

Carido is good, but it's a three pronged approach....cardio, diet and weights.

Dont forget, muscles are metabolically active, meaning they eat, so you lose more weight faster when you have more muscle.
Bests,

Everybody pretty much said alot already but you always have to exercise more then you eat, which sounds like common sense but when you don't know how many calories your eating & how many your burning it can get tricky. I was working out with a trainer for 3mths everyday & did not lose any weight in fact gained weight(muscle & fat) because we were working out in my home before I got equipment so we didn't have like a treadmill to count calories & I felt like I was exercising more then I was eating but what I was eating even though had small portions was very high in calories, fat & sugar.