DVD players that "upconvert" to HD

Saw a Panasonic DVD player in Costco that says it "upconverts" to high definition. I love high definition and I'm wondering if anyone has comments,experience or reviews about the qualilty of a such a DVD player that promises to "upconvert"?

Thanks.

It may look better than standard DVD, but I personally would avoid it. DVDs only have so much data (720p) to work with. HD is 1080p

Much like blowing up a 3x5 print to an 8x10 print; sure you can improve the larger photo in photoshop, but it's not the same as an actual print at the right size.

Last edited:
It works much like digitally remastering an old analog recording. If you ever looked at the CD case of your remastered Beatles CD's you'll notice reads... "ADD" (Analog recorded, Digitally remastered). Without the initial recording being done digital, you'll never have a DDD. With out the inital recording or filming being done in hi-def... you'll never have true hi-def.

This DVD player basically does it's own digital remastering but it's never going to be close to true hi-def... prob a lot more like progressive scan in quality. It really doesn't pay to buy it. You still need the Hi-Def TV and that's where you're going to spend the majority of you Hi-Def upgrade money. Pop for the extra couple hundred and go HD-DVD which looks likely to win out the BD/HD format war. But since theres so little in the way of pre-recorded hi-def media available.... best to wait till the final decision on the format is official. Prob only after they fleece enough people this holiday season.

Last edited:
This looks very similar to the Panasonic I was looking at. The Oppo says it also upconverts. What is it about this one that you like?

Ozzy- I already have a HD setup and I love it! That's why I was thinking of jumping on getting a DVD player that promised to upconvert to HD. So, what you're saying then, is that I should wait until the format war is over and get a HD DVD player?

Thanks again everyone.

You can buy one now if you're not going to get too upset a year or two from now when you find out you bought Beta instead of VHS. But if you're going to record then by all means go and get whatever you want. But if you're counting on which will be stocked at your local Blockbuster.... then it's better to wait cause the format direction is still anyones call.

But don't waste your money on a DVD to HD converter. You have invested so much money on your more expensive HD products to skimp on probably the cheapest of all your A/V purchases. You can get an HD or BD for under $1,000.

A HTPC (home-theater PC) will do the best upconversion of DVD's to your HDTV. If you have a newer system and have a true 1080P HDTV (one that accepts a 1080p signal, ie. not the samsung 1080P DLP's which are really only 960 x1080), you can upconvert to 1080P or if not you can output 1080i or 720p depending on your HDTV native display. Also with the HTPC you can play Xvid, Divx and ripped DVD files on your HDTV as well as your regular DVD's. Check out Ffdhow for use with it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

It may look better than standard DVD, but I personally would avoid it. DVDs only have so much data (720p) to work with. HD is 1080p

Much like blowing up a 3x5 print to an 8x10 print; sure you can improve the larger photo in photoshop, but it's not the same as an actual print at the right size.
dvds have 480p lines 720p is the same as 1080i which are both high def. HD dvds are 720p and blu ray is 1080p

A HTPC (home-theater PC) will do the best upconversion of DVD's to your HDTV. If you have a newer system and have a true 1080P HDTV (one that accepts a 1080p signal, ie. not the samsung 1080P DLP's which are really only 960 x1080), you can upconvert to 1080P or if not you can output 1080i or 720p depending on your HDTV native display. Also with the HTPC you can play Xvid, Divx and ripped DVD files on your HDTV as well as your regular DVD's. Check out Ffdhow for use with it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/
Does an HTPC differ from a PVR? It would be great to be able to perform Tivo functions and play HD with the minimal amount of components.

Last edited:
Does an HTPC differ from a PVR? It would be great to be able to perform Tivo functions and play HD with the minimal amount of components.
This is entirely possible. You can buy ready made HTPC's. or Have one custom built. or Build one on your own.

Your main components in an HTPC are going to be graphics and audio cards, video playback, and lots of storage.

To be a PVR - you will also need a TV Tuner functionality.

Last edited:
excuse my ignorance, but are up converters a dead issue now?

You can buy one now if you're not going to get too upset a year or two from now when you find out you bought Beta instead of VHS. But if you're going to record then by all means go and get whatever you want. But if you're counting on which will be stocked at your local Blockbuster.... then it's better to wait cause the format direction is still anyones call.

But don't waste your money on a DVD to HD converter. You have invested so much money on your more expensive HD products to skimp on probably the cheapest of all your A/V purchases. You can get an HD or BD for under $1,000.
I see the last entry in this thread is well over a year old so maybe this discussion is a dead issue now, so please excuse my ignorance.

In order to get the best picture quality from my large collection of standard dvds on a 1080p HD TV what is your recommendation? Is the Oppo a good choice?

I don't know if it is worth it to you but I have a pretty large DVD collection as well and currently play them through my PS3 which upconverts and is a Blu Ray player. IMO, the upconverter on the PS3 showed a better picture than a few of the other ones that I have seen.

oppo seems to be an inexpensive, interim dvd player.

Did some research on the Oppo DV-980H, mostly on CNET and the readers reviews of the Oppo on Amazon.com. If play station 3 is part of your gaming world, it's seems to be among the best Blue Ray HD-DVD players.

The Oppo seems to an inexpensive way to get enhanced performance on standard DVDs that are played on HD TVs. One additional advantage of the Oppo is that it can be converted into a region free player rather easily, at least according to one of Amazons reviewers who lists the steps in his review. Also, the Oppo was said to do a better job of upconverting old DVDs compared to some popular Blue Ray players.

So until the Blue Ray dvd players and Blue Ray dvds drop in price the Oppo seems to be a reasonable interim alternative for you old collection of standard dvds.