Does Ortiz Deserve To Be In The HOF

Personally I would have NEVER voted him in, or any known substance abusers. But for some reason he seems to get a pass because of his personality?
Come on.
Spare me the semantics that he never tested positive, he was on the reports.

He does deserve it, but so does Bonds, Clemens, Arod... etc

Gaylord Perry is in, he cheated. Ty Cobb is in and from all accounts was a dispicable person.

MLB loved every HR hit in that era, they could of stopped it if they wanted to. Now after the fact they want to act like they were terrible for the sport. Terrible.

IMHO.

During the steroid era, not only did MLB turn a blind eye and let players have run of the mill. They endorsed it. Say what you will about the Sosa Maguire HR race, it saved the game.

The talk back then was that the NBA was becoming the new #2 behind the NFL. And it was true. with players like Jordan, Ewing, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Stockton, Robinson, etc…… people were NOT watching baseball. And when the best players were Kirby Puckett and Tony Gwynn. No one cared. MLB players were seen as spoiled brats who demanded to much money and were always walking out.

Only when the records started getting crushed did fans give a shit.

So they all should get in Maguire, Bonds, Clemens , Palmero, Arod, Schilling, IRod etc…..

It’s funny, if the players who were suspected of taking steroids managed to evade and fool the testing , they went into the hall no questions asked (Piazza notable but maybe there’s a few others).

Agreed
He deserves no place among the greats.

But- the sports writers association not vote anyone in two years in a row…HA

Substance abuse, steroids, community contributions should all play a part

The hof is a joke. If the sports writers don't like you. You don't get in or they make you wait like what they did to Eddie Murray and curt Shilling. It took Murray five years to get in. He was one of the best player at that time But guys like Harold Baines gets in because he’s friends with Tony La Russa.

Shilling will never get in because he still pisses them off.

IMHO.

During the steroid era, not only did MLB turn a blind eye and let players have run of the mill. They endorsed it. Say what you will about the Sosa Maguire HR race, it saved the game.

The talk back then was that the NBA was becoming the new #2 behind the NFL. And it was true. with players like Jordan, Ewing, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Stockton, Robinson, etc…… people were NOT watching baseball. And when the best players were Kirby Puckett and Tony Gwynn. No one cared. MLB players were seen as spoiled brats who demanded to much money and were always walking out.

Only when the records started getting crushed did fans give a shit.

So they all should get in Maguire, Bonds, Clemens , Palmero, Arod, Schilling, IRod etc…..

It’s funny, if the players who were suspected of taking steroids managed to evade and fool the testing , they went into the hall no questions asked (Piazza notable but maybe there’s a few others).
You make some really great points @steveoo1970, and I agree with you, baseball turned a blind eye to all of it because it helped them rebound and profit greatly. But it also helped the players doing the PED's profit greatly as well. That was what they were all after, the MONEY. The more home runs they hit, the more money they would get paid.

I can't give a pass to these guys simply because baseball turned a blind eye to them. Morally, they had a choice of their own. Cheat or don't cheat. I can't put guys like Bonds, Palmero, Big Mac, Clemes, Sosa, Arod etc. in to stand next to legends like Aaron, Mays, Joe D, Mantle, Seaver, Brett, Schmidt etc. the list goes on. You see my point? Those players earned it with hard work, without PED's, (Maybe some "greenies"). To give those who cheated a pass and let them in would be a disgrace.

Big Papi, and all the other ones who were PED abusers are pieces of shit who are set for life financially. They should live with the fact that they are not hall of famers, but rather cheaters who got lucky and never have to worry about anything in life except where they plan their next vacation destination, or where to dock their yachts. Enshrining them just empowers a younger generation to do the same.

You make some really great points @steveoo1970, and I agree with you, baseball turned a blind eye to all of it because it helped them rebound and profit greatly. But it also helped the players doing the PED's profit greatly as well. That was what they were all after, the MONEY. The more home runs they hit, the more money they would get paid.

I can't give a pass to these guys simply because baseball turned a blind eye to them. Morally, they had a choice of their own. Cheat or don't cheat. I can't put guys like Bonds, Palmero, Big Mac, Clemes, Sosa, Arod etc. in to stand next to legends like Aaron, Mays, Joe D, Mantle, Seaver, Brett, Schmidt etc. the list goes on. You see my point? Those players earned it with hard work, without PED's, (Maybe some "greenies"). To give those who cheated a pass and let them in would be a disgrace.

Big Papi, and all the other ones who were PED abusers are pieces of shit who are set for life financially. They should live with the fact that they are not hall of famers, but rather cheaters who got lucky and never have to worry about anything in life except where they plan their next vacation destination, or where to dock their yachts. Enshrining them just empowers a younger generation to do the same.
Before the Peds , Bonds and Clemens were hall of famers. Maybe Arods also….

Sosa was a nobody. Maguire’s body failed him years before his comeback. Shilling was mediocre. Ortiz was a nobody. Palmero would have been a mediocre 200 hr career player. And IROD would have been a flash in the pan with decent defensive skills.

Personally, I can’t blame Bonds. He was better than all of them before the PEDS. And he wanted to prove he could be that much better than them ON the PEDs . Clemens relaunched and added an extra 5-6 dominant years to what was already a HOF career.

billyS

Reign of Terror

Sosa was a nobody. Maguire’s body failed him years before his comeback. Shilling was mediocre. Ortiz was a nobody. Palmero would have been a mediocre 200 hr career player. And IROD would have been a flash in the pan with decent defensive skills.

Personally, I can’t blame Bonds. He was better than all of them before the PEDS. And he wanted to prove he could be that much better than them ON the PEDs . Clemens relaunched and added an extra 5-6 dominant years to what was already a HOF career.
Pretty good synopsis.
Although I believe Palmero's home run totals would have been higher than 200's just based on the home ballparks he played in and the lineups he was surrounded by.

Pretty good synopsis.
Although I believe Palmero's home run totals would have been higher than 200's just based on the home ballparks he played in and the lineups he was surrounded by.
I was a big fan of the players back in the day. Not so much the teams. We all knew back then to what was going on. Sosa and Ortiz truly were nobodies. They couldn’t break out of the teens in HRs . Especially Sosa. Wanna know what Jason Giambi would have been without the PEDs ? All you had to do was look at little brother Jeremy Giambi.

The guy nobody gives any credit to, and is totally forgotten was Ken Griffey Jr. His body broke down like it should have. But in the end , his numbers were up there with the greats.

And if his back didn’t fail him, Mattingly had a good chance of being both a triple crown winner and the all time HR king.

most overrated player … Strawberry. How can you call someone who didn’t break 40hrs in a season a slugger!! Gtfoh….!

I agree, but that doesnt matter hat they were great before PED's.
You are right, Bonds admitted he started using after McGuire and Sosa were getting all the attention and hitting all those homeruns, and he knew he was better than them.

Mattingly, just didnt do it long enough. His numbers, however, for a short period of time, are without a doubt, HOF numbers. But you need some kind of longevity.

I was a big fan of the players back in the day. Not so much the teams. We all knew back then to what was going on. Sosa and Ortiz truly were nobodies. They couldn’t break out of the teens in HRs . Especially Sosa. Wanna know what Jason Giambi would have been without the PEDs ? All you had to do was look at little brother Jeremy Giambi.

The guy nobody gives any credit to, and is totally forgotten was Ken Griffey Jr. His body broke down like it should have. But in the end , his numbers were up there with the greats.

And if his back didn’t fail him, Mattingly had a good chance of being both a triple crown winner and the all time HR king.

most overrated player … Strawberry. How can you call someone who didn’t break 40hrs in a season a slugger!! Gtfoh….!
I never say Strawberry was a great player. Good outfielder with a great arm, big time power, but a dick, and a really nice player over all. Thats it.