Do Dietitians work for losing weight?

Thats my downfall as well. Soda...ugh....

Alternative? Seltzer water..flavored seltzer water. I hate it but know what? It quenched the thirst and does the trick.

If you stay off of soda for 3 weeks straight, and eat right, you'll lose about 15lbs off the bat!
Any carbonated beverages interrupt digestion, the best is making your own unsweetened drink or water. I make lemonade, I buy and squeeze a lot of lemons at a time then freeze the juice with zest so it doesn't ferment. I use two big mason jars and boiled water, add 5oz of frozen lemon juice, clove, cinnamon, cardamon, when they cool add to pitcher. You need patience but it's completely doable once you get a routine. I haven't bought a carbonated beverage in over a year, only three times for medicinal purposes. You can make homemade ice tea and add spices but there is no high quality decaffeinated exotic black teas.

If you go to a market that sells Bento Box style Tupperware you can find all different sizes. I bought a bunch of small portion plastic containers which is great for storing small amount of leftovers and prepared food. It's perfect for dieting, you can pre-measure amounts for defrosting and reheating, saves time and money. See through air tight containers are also good, cut veggies and fruit for snacks and make sure they are visible. Nutritional changes must go further then what you eat, it's how you buy, prepare and store food. It's taking the time and preparing in advance because most bad eating happen impulsively from hunger, always have something healthy ready. It's hard to change bad eating habits but after a while planning meals in advance becomes second nature.

Thank You Fairemily...very helpful and useful info!!
I wish you luck, I know it's so difficult, it's a life changing process. I have the slowest metabolism, naturally high cholesterol, I have to watch everything, read labels, measure, ect. I don't drink at all which helps, I just never cared for alcohol so it wasn't a sacrifice. My father worked for a soft drink company, I grew up with an abundance of soda so giving that up wasn't hard either but giving up juice was, I do miss orange juice. I don't eat red meat anymore, only free range poultry or fish now. The other thing I stopped is take out food, I threw out all menus, I cook everything I consume, no Chinese food, no pizza, no fast food. One cup of black coffee a day, no cream or sugar. I know this could be difficult if you work long hours, I suggest making wraps for lunches, they make so many healthy versions now, whole wheat, gluten free, spinach. The trick is heat them up slightly before wrapping so they are flexible and don't rip apart. You can fill them up with anything, rice, beans, chicken, veggies, they easy to eat, get in the habit of making a lunch the night before. Don't get breakfast from stands or diners either, they smother everything in salt, butter and lard. Have a yougurt, fruit or even a few cubes of cheese instead. Have a snack size baggie of unsalted nuts on the side, in fact always have a healthy snack handy so you don't resort to vending machines. Men are not lured to sugar as much as women so it should be easier to give up sweets but high quality very dark chocolate is actually good for you. I don't believe one diet fits all, it's about making smart choices everyday.

Joeyboy, I'm not sure where you live but here is a great link if it applies to you. I would say in season a majority of the food I make and consume comes from the farmer's market. Unlike supermarkets you have to really clean the vegetables because they come from the ground to the stand, make sure they are dry through before storing. I suggest investing in a salad spinner, kitchen shears, vegetable brush.

http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket

Lots of people are offering lots of good advice. Consider it all, but remember that in the end you won't be successful unless the eating and/or lifestyle changes you make are things you'll be able to stick with for the long haul.

You don't have to do it all at once. A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Last edited:
I tell you though sometimes these doctors scare me.My doc told me i am a ticking time bomb that i am either gonna get a stroke or a heart attack!! Ever since he told me that i am scared!! I "only" have to lose like 20-25 Lbs.But the very high BP is what scares me!
I have had my problems with doctors, they can be either melodramatic or passive. Did you happen to take a behind the counter allergy pill? that can raise blood pressure to dangerous levels, never take them. If he thought you were days away from a stroke or heart attack he would have put you on thinners immediately and ordered more tests so it's cannot be as bad as he made it seem. I have a close family member with a bad heart and familiar with the protocol. I have another suggestion, Evening Primrose Oil. It is one of the few sources outside of mothers milk that has gamma linolithic acid. It is affordable, can be found at any health foid store and is proven to naturally lower blood pressure amongst other things. You really don't want to get into the phamacetical blood thinners, major side effects.

http://www.nlm.nih*****/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1006.html

Last edited:
Try the Alkaline/low Acid diet.
Also, try not to eat a big heavy meal after 6 pm.

Can you get into salads????
I saw they have acid saliva level strips at my local HFS to test the Alkaline/Acid in your body. It's really hard to avoid acidic food especially dieting, low fat salad dressings are mostly vinagars and things fermented like soy sauce. I was given a list of high acid foods to aviod for acid reflux and everything I like was on it, many were low calorie diet foods even certain vegetables and fruits.

You are right about not eating after 6pm if you are on a daytime schedule.