"Dexter" on Showtime

Now that you put it that way I can see the appeal to Smits now, I guess he was so overburdening I could not see past the annoyance. It also makes me think about those true stories where a person who never committed a crime in thier life meets a born murderer and unleashes a hidden killer instinct. There are many cases of dual serial murderer but usually one is more dominant. I am also fascinated with South American politics from that time period of the death squads, it was the theme on Independent Lens a few weeks ago.

You don't think the sub-storyline of Vega and the other one was a bit like the novelas, I always thought whenever they were together there should be that corny romance music playing and they should do long stares at eachother.
I think the death squad references were quite deliberate, maybe even stereotypical, but Smits made sense as a mad right-wing generalissimo with blood on his hands and in his heart.

I haven't seen the 4th season as I said but I feel that any sub-plots with Lt. Laguerta (I wrote Vega before) and especially Angel Batista are well-written and well-played. From the very beginning Dexter's colleagues are shown to be a flawed but but very human bunch of characters - something Dexter has to deal with whether he likes it or not, just like all of us. Ditto his sister's transparent emotionality contrasted with his own inner "emptiness."

Maybe my memory is failing me, but why I am under impression that Laguerta was hitting on Dexter in the first season. Am I right?
Yes, she showed a special interest in him, not sure if it was because she disliked Debs or she just thought it would advance her career or she just wanted to see if he would show interest back. She also had an affair with the man who was with the woman who temporary replaced her so she wold act crazy. She acts more like a novellas femme fatale then a alternative style cop thriller supporting character.

Yes, she showed a special interest in him, not sure if it was because she disliked Debs or she just thought it would advance her career or she just wanted to see if he would show interest back. She also had an affair with the man who was with the woman who temporary replaced her so she wold act crazy. She acts more like a novellas femme fatale then a alternative style cop thriller supporting character.
Actually she (Laguerta) turned out to be a good boss who knows how to do her job. Again every on the show has their foibles. At first Luguerta was made to look a little ridiculous
since she had a crush on Dexter. However her professionalism came through and I liked her loyalty to Doakes in the second season. You're really into those novelas, Emily. Have you been watching Brazilian or Mexican TV?

Actually she (Laguerta) turned out to be a good boss who knows how to do her job. Again every on the show has their foibles. At first Luguerta was made to look a little ridiculous
since she had a crush on Dexter. However her professionalism came through and I liked her loyalty to Doakes in the second season. You're really into those novelas, Emily. Have you been watching Brazilian or Mexican TV?
I do when I get my hair done, you see one you have seen them all.

I really like the actress who plays Laguerta and have followed her career since the early 90's (she actually looks better with age). I bet she demanded they make her seem more professional, she has paid her dues. I guess they had to give her something to do but I think getting together with Batisa was a step down not up and subpar compared to the more compelling main story with Dexter and Arthur. It is really my only problem with Dexter, the side stories are not as intriguing and sometimes border on the boring with a few exceptions like Lundy. I guess they are deliberately written as the calms of the storm.

My opinion is Dexter is one of the best shows on TV today. The season always builds to some of the best "last two" episodes each year. My biggest problem is I know so few who are following the show so each Monday it's like "did you see what happened" and no one to tell!

Wow!

That's all I can say. I did not see that coming. I'm new to Dexter. I rented season 1 back in September and have been hooked ever since.I saw the final episode of season 4 Christmas night (I'm not in the Christmas spirit this year lol).

Rita was also getting on my nerves bigtime but now I feel bad for her kids. Being associated with a Trinity killing is going to make Dexter look very suspicious, especially now that his sister knows he's the brother of the ice truck killer. Does anyone think he's going to try to cover that up. Also, does he have another Doakes on his hands with Quinn?

Oh yeah,,,and his sister really gets on my nerves.

Also, does he have another Doakes on his hands with Quinn?
Yeah, Quinn has the potential to be transformed as a character. I think the authors were wondering how much of a dirty cop they wanted him to be. They may develop a line there.

Of course, precisely because of Doakes they should be careful of not making it a repeated scenario. Giving Laguerta a second emotional hit with Miguel Prado amounted to overusing the character in my opinion. I was hoping for the sanity of it all not to have Batista killed as well in the 4th episode.

By the way, do you guys think Quinn is going to jump on Dex's foul-mouthed sister?

Fun fact: 'Dexter' actor Michael Hall is married to Jennifer Carpenter, who plays his sister on the show.
Kind of strange but when you play a vigilante serial killer I guess you are not worried about keeping a family friendly image off screen. I think there was some controversy on Heroes when two characters who played siblings dated off screen.

That's all I can say. I did not see that coming. I'm new to Dexter. I rented season 1 back in September and have been hooked ever since.I saw the final episode of season 4 Christmas night (I'm not in the Christmas spirit this year lol).

Rita was also getting on my nerves bigtime but now I feel bad for her kids. Being associated with a Trinity killing is going to make Dexter look very suspicious, especially now that his sister knows he's the brother of the ice truck killer. Does anyone think he's going to try to cover that up. Also, does he have another Doakes on his hands with Quinn?

Oh yeah,,,and his sister really gets on my nerves.
Me too, the only time I could tolerate Debs is when she was with Lundy, I love Keith Carradine. Her constant curing wears thin, without it she is just another anorexic tomboy cop.

I do not know how Dexter is going to cover his whereabouts before he discovered Rita, he very well could be a suspect. Doakes never let him get away with his close association with the ice truck killer. It is entirely possible Quinn will be on his case because of his close association with Trinity. Authur's family can identify Dexter and the house of cards can fall down from that alone.

Kind of strange but when you play a vigilante serial killer I guess you are not worried about keeping a family friendly image off screen. I think there was some controversy on Heroes when two characters who played siblings dated off screen.
This isn't old Hollywood. Nobody cares about the private lives of TV actors. In fact, no matter how popular the show, TV actors themselves are kind of obscure, especially Michael Hall!

Fun fact: 'Dexter' actor Michael Hall is married to Jennifer Carpenter, who plays his sister on the show.
Oh that's wierd. Sometimes I think she's cute and other times I think she's not so cute.

Although, I thought she was hot when she took off her shirt in front of the forensics guy. I forget the characters name, but I think he's hilarious.

By the way, do you guys think Quinn is going to jump on Dex's foul-mouthed sister?
Yeah I can see that happening. They'll probably make them fuck buddies. They probably won't give her a serious relationship anytime soon given her history with the ice truck killer, the CI being tortured, and Lundy being killed in front of her.

This isn't old Hollywood. Nobody cares about the private lives of TV actors. In fact, no matter how popular the show, TV actors themselves are kind of obscure, especially Michael Hall!
You make an interesting point. I wonder why that is. What is your explanation?

Funny, I happened to be in the same cashier line with the guy who plays Ben in Lost. It was the Bed, Bath and Beyond in Upper West Side. He was buying pillows. Of course, he was getting looks and smiles, but few people seem to care and he kept a distracted gaze, probably hoping to discourage any possibly brave (nosy) fan.

He left quickly after paying (probably heading to the island).

Last edited:
I was thinking more PTA then old Hollywood. I still think certain parts of the family values society would have a problem with Dexter marrying his on show sister if was a different kind of show like 7th Heaven (especially those who depend on advertisers). It does not matter when it comes to shows that are not kid friendly to begin with.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the Dexter series. I think the gal who played Rita is way hot and sexy - always with the sun dresses! However, as a Mom with three kids and a hubby who acts so weird, no wonder she seems annoying.

BTW, many of my friends watch it so there's always lots to talk about.

Looking forward to the next season.

Chels, Dexter fan

Last edited:
I was thinking more PTA then old Hollywood. I still think certain parts of the family values society would have a problem with Dexter marrying his on show sister if was a different kind of show like 7th Heaven (especially those who depend on advertisers). It does not matter when it comes to shows that are not kid friendly to begin with.
I guess we're talking about two different things. I was referring to Michael marrying Jennifer Carpenter. I still haven't seen the 4th season but a friend just let it slip that Rita was Dexter's biological sister. Can't wait for the DVD! Still I don't think it's enough ignite a culture war. The Family Values crowd has bigger fish to fry and have been relatively quiet lately anyway. They only emerge in less fraught peaceful times, not in the middle of a financial meltdown, fears of terrorism, rehauling of the health care system, etc.

You make an interesting point. I wonder why that is. What is your explanation?
TV is small bore--the movies are big. Sure the women from Desperate Housewives might be all over Entertainment Tonight but so is Kate Gosselin. Marcia Cross is still obscure compared to Angelina Jolie. Is Ray Romano a sex symbol? Do women fantasize about him? lol. Ocassionally someone makes the transition from TV to movie stardom i.e. Jennifer Aniston. The more interesting journey is one from a middling movie career to TV stardom--David Caruso and there he will stay.

I guess we're talking about two different things. I was referring to Michael marrying Jennifer Carpenter. I still haven't seen the 4th season but a friend just let it slip that Rita was Dexter's biological sister. Can't wait for the DVD! Still I don't think it's enough ignite a culture war. The Family Values crowd has bigger fish to fry and have been relatively quiet lately anyway. They only emerge in less fraught peaceful times, not in the middle of a financial meltdown, fears of terrorism, rehauling of the health care system, etc.
I still think they focus on petty and dated issues though, maybe not to a boycott extreme but we might see if brought up on the Bill O' Reilly show as a hot topic for that kind of crowd.