Desperately seeking a Tenant/Landlord or Housing/Renter Chat forum or board?

This is a sudden development that will allow my landlord to either double my rent or remove me from my very affordable apartment. If I loose this apartment my whole life will have to be notched down greatly because I will have to relocate to a much smaller, more distant location costing twice what I pay now.

I guess I will need to consult with or hire a lawyer knowledgeable with tenant/landlord issues but right now I need to learn as much as I can on my own.

So I am hoping someone here can point me to a chat board or forum related to tenant/landlord issues for the five boroughs of NYC.

I will need to know:

- if I should sign the new lease that he is expecting back today or tomorrow that is only for 6 months, but I is actually effective from June 1st so it is really for 4 months.

- If I sign this lease am I obligated to his demands, such as his intention to renovate my apartment?

- can I refuse his wish to renovate my apartment?

- Is it legal to give me a 6 month lease after giving me a 12 month lease for the past 8 years?

- do I have the right to obligate him to a specific time frame for the renovation to begin and end including hours of the day that work for my interest.

- what steps to I need to be taking to put myself in the best position to defend his actions that will harm me?

- do I need a lawyer?

- how do I find a lawyer best suited for these issues?

Thanks!

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Is the rent under $2000 per month?

When was the building built and how many units are there? Is it a Coop or Condo, or a rental building??

Is the old lease in your name?

Is it your primary residence?

Q1- Is the rent under $2000 per month
A1- it is under $1000

Q2- When was the building built
A2- Old 4 story building. Not sure when it was built but I'd guess in the first half of the last century. Everything behind the walls is old wood framing.

Q3- how many units are there
A3- 8 apartments

Q4- Is it a Coop or Condo, or a rental building
A4- renting

Q5- Is the old lease in your name
A5- been signing a new lease one year at a time for 8 years.

Q6- Is it your primary residence
A6- yes

Q7- do you live in a rent regulated residence (Rent Stablizied or Rent Control) or a free market apartment
A7- I am as ignorant on the subject as I could be. But I have to believe it is rent stabilized because the landlord has doubled the rent for each apartment that had become vacant and then renovated. My rent started out under 700 and has increased a small amout each year (each time it has increased, the increase itself has increased). I think these things mean it is rent stabilized.

Slinky Bender

If eveything you are saying is accurate, you have a rent stabilzed apartment, he MUST offer youi YOUR choice of a 1 or 2 year lease,and can not throw you out. Is there something else to this story you aren't telling us?

How the hell is he going to renovate your apartment while you're still in it? He's entitled to various MCI increases (Major Capital Improvement), but they have to be approved by DHCR.

Get a lawyer, but first thing call up DHCR (is there a plaque with and MDR number in the entrance? All rent stabilized buildings must be regeristere with DHCR and have a Multpile Dwelling Registration Number). Tell them what's going on and see what they have.

You can also look up your building info at HPD:

http://167.153.4.71/hpdonline/provide_address.aspx

slinkybender said:
Is there something else to this story you aren't telling us?
No! Thought I was being too open. This is the full story, what do you see as missing?

Something related to your renovation question?

slinkybender said:
How the hell is he going to renovate your apartment while you're still in it?.
Only thing I know is that every June I get the new lease in my mail box. I sign both copies and return one in his mail box. This time he was out of the country in June. I returned home Monday night and found the 2 copies of the new least as has happened for the last 8 years. But with it was a simple hand written note saying "all apartment's will be renovated". Then I looked at the lease and it said 6 months. It is actaully 4 months because it begins in June.

I don't know how he figures he will renovate while I am still in the apartment but maybe he just figures that he knows what he wants and thinks he will get what he wants?

I have not returned the new lease yet, should I sign it or not?

Thanks for your answers so far!

Slinky Bender

He's fucked. He's got to offer you a 1 or 2 year option and he has to do it like 90 to 120 days before your curent lease expires (assuming the apartment is rent stabilized, but if it's in NYC, it's that old, and it's over 5 units, it's got to be RS). Call DHCR, and if it is RS, don't sign anything (it would be voidable anyway, so it doesn't make that much difference). You know, he may be liable for rent overcharges for past increases (treble damages claim).

Past increases for me don't seam to be out of line because the increases only jumped like maybe beginning at $25 per month the first renewal and the latest increase being maybe $65. Each year the increase increased in what seamed like fractions of the previous years rent.

Is a lawyer going to cost me an arm and a leg?

How do I find one who is familiar with these issues.

How could my landlord be so dumb to fuck himself?

He barely speaks english but he must have a lawyer who advices him. He's owned the building since the late 70's and has gone threw allot of problems.

I am one of two residents who do not leave after (or before) the one year lease is up.

He is a wack-job who is always fighting with the tenants and is always dealing with complaints.

I keep quiet and stay out of his way because my location is prime, my rent is way under market and I am almost never home.

rent controlled

Ok I can confirm the apartment is rent stabilized.

Also a 6 month least is not going to fly. It is my choice of 1 or 2 year rent.

I think I can refuse the landlords wish to renovate if I can show the renovations are not needed. I need to look in to this more.

I'm going to the DHCR tomorrow hoping to put myself on the best footing to either resolve the issues harmoniously or with a fight if necessary.

But if I need a lawyer I still don't have a clue how to find one best suited for the issues at hand?

The informed replies helped cool my nerves.

Thanks for the replies!

slinkybender said:
"they" must be doing it very quietly then, because all the "news" items are from 2004.

then you're not looking carefully enough because there are plenty of links to 2006 cases and such

and even if it were true he can still use it to get general information and such

Last edited:
dont sign the lease

You should send a letter along w/ rent check stating the following (more or less):

---

I understand that you have been out of the country. However, I am still awaiting the renewal of my lease pursuant to rent stablization guidelines. This year, I would prefer a 2-year renewal.

----

If you get lucky, he will yield and send you a lease. If he doesnt the fact he's cashing your checks will help.

PS I might as well mention I'm an atty (although I dont know too much about landlord/tenant). If you get lucky, he'll see the letter and yield.