Chiarascurrias

went to Carnevale on Ave. B

with a group of hearty eaters. The waiters stopped coming by after the first few rounds, although we consumed about 300 bucks worth of drinks. I can not recommend this place to anyone not being B&T.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
The other night, I was in the mood for some red meat, but not in the mood to walk very far. Nor was I in the mood for a hamburger at the same old diner. I figured “what the hell, I’ll try this new Brazilian place.” The owner of the old Gables seafood restaurant at the corner of Broadway and 31st Street in Astoria reopened his place as a Brazilian restaurant.

It’s loud. Really fucking loud. It’s also a buffet. They still need a menu, like, printed on paper, or posted somewhere inside where everybody can see it. There are a few dishes from the kitchen, plus the meats on the rotisserie. Forget trying to find out what comes out of the kitchen. It’s just too fucking loud to hear anything the waitress tells you. I know that buffet means "grab a plate, and pile it on", but is it all-you-can eat, or what? It would be nice to know their pricing structure and how they operate without having to shout, “how does this work?!” to the waitress.

With my drink, the waitress brought a laminated card with a number on it.

Her: “This is your nahmber.”
Me: “OK, thanks. What do I with this?”
Her: “Yes, this is your nahmber.”

It never left the table, and I still don’t know what I was supposed to do with it.

The food was decent, nothing special. I didn’t spend much. A modest dinner and two drinks cost me about $20 before tip. A singer-guitar duo with crappy sound equipment provided entertainment. They performed classic Brazilian songs, which I couldn’t name, but I’ve heard many times before. They were nothing special either.

It’s nothing more than a casual place where Brazilians from the neighborhood go for drinks, food and light entertainment--no reason to go out of your way. I expect it will really start to hop when the weather gets warmer. Maybe they’ll have some better entertainment by then.

I don’t know the name of this place. Even the sign is obnoxious. Some graphic designer decided to make a sign so clever looking, I can’t even tell what it says. Something Grill. First word starts with a "B". That’s best I can do for you.
I just wanted to add to my original review. They've improved the signage and the menus. It is clearly priced by weight. For me, this is great, because I can put together a modest meal on the cheap. For you who like to gorge yourselves like a bunch of pigs, perhaps an all-you-can-eat place is better.

As I said, it is a buffet, but the meats are properly grilled in the kitchen. After you visit the buffet, the guy in the kitchen gives you your meat. It does not sit on a steam table. This is as it's always been at Barill Grill, but now us uninformed, non-Brazilian pukes can figure out what we want to order by reading the new-and-improved bilingual menu.

This place has grown on me since my first visit. Wines by the glass still suck. With the glass doors open all around, it really is pleasant. On a hopping night, it's a perfectly good place to waste away your evening if you happen to live in the neighborhood. When the Brazillian national futbol team is playing an important game, things really start to get rolling--two large screens broadcast Brazilian television at the bar. Entertainment continues to be average, but hey, it is free.

I have been to a few of these places and have not found them to be an enjoyable experience. Those I have been to have had a "salad bar" (maybe that is to be expected at these places, I don't know) and to me there is probably nothing that cheapens a dining experience more than having a salad bar. I also find it very disconcerting/annoying for servers to pop up with a surprise on a sword to be available for the next thing to eat and to be looked at after each piece served to inquire if I want more. Give me a standardly served dinner of my choice over this "show" any time.

Of course Ozzy would have brought one of his cute little friends to a place like this. She would have explained everything to him. Sounds like this is the best way to experience one of these places.

Of course Ozzy would have brought one of his cute little friends to a place like this. She would have explained everything to him. Sounds like this is the best way to experience one of these places.
When I have gone it has been with a Brazilian girl (different one each time) who wanted to show this gringo how great this type of place is. If I didn't have that type of company, I would not have gone a second time.

Salad Bars are part of the experience. It wouldn't be a real churrascuria (I have NO idea how to spell that word) without one. You just have to set your prejudices, based on other food cultures, aside.

(Also, at good churricsurias [I have NO idea how to spell that word], the salad bars are like phenomenal.)

Salad bars at your typical mid to high end churrascuria are nothing like the ones you find at a Beefsteak Charley's. Cept for special orders, those swordsman don't bring side dishes, they're found at the salad bar.

And of course I've taken my little friends to the churrascurias and Brazilian stops around town. Bring an exceptionally cute one and she can flirt and order the stuff the kitchen staff never serves the gringo's.... chicken hearts, lamb rump and a seafood stew.

Depends on where you go. At the more generic or chain places like Greenfields they don't bring that stuff out. At joints like Plataforma it's much more the norm. But even at Plataforma and Rice & Beans there's stuff the kitchen staff will never bring out to the gringos. Some of it even Andrew Zimmern wouldn't eat... but you never know.

Salad Bars are part of the experience. It wouldn't be a real churrascuria (I have NO idea how to spell that word) without one. You just have to set your prejudices, based on other food cultures, aside.

(Also, at good churricsurias [I have NO idea how to spell that word], the salad bars are like phenomenal.)
Right you are, JL. One of the best I've been to is in CT, of all places. They actually welcome gringos there.

I can't spell chira..... either.

Good food,

Chels

Churrascaria Riodizio in Roslyn Heights on Willis Ave. Was there many years ago, packed crowd, food damn good. Not sure if it's still a hit.
It still is great. Great Brazilian Black Beer, Xingu. Never ending parade of meats. Before he was released Pennington took the Jets linemen there for dinner. Must have been an expensive night for the restaurant.