Cheesecake

I'm not sure how useful this recommendation will be, but:

My absolute favorite cheesecake in New York, hands down, is from a little bakery in Far Rockaway, Queens. It's on 116th Street and Rockaway Blvd. (it's the only bakery on the block). My grandparents lived in Neponsit for many years, and this was their local bakery. When I would visit, I used to make a special trip to 116th Street just to pick up a fresh cake. They have all of these signs posted around the bakery reading "we use fresh cream cheese," which I always found amusing.

Since my grandparents are no longer with us, I no longer have a reason to to out there. And, even though it's great cheesecake, it's a little far to go for a real graham cracker crust.

S&S Cheesecake at 222 W 238th St in the Bronx gets my vote. I cried when I had to give it up. Thank goodness pussy is non fattening and eating it generally isn't bad for your health.

Traderdave said:
Monk are you talking about Harbor Bake Shop on 116th Street? Someone took them over a few years ago and they went down the drain.
If we're talking about the same place (I don't think there's another bakery on 116th Street in Far Rockaway) then it's a real shame. Sorry to hear about it!

Beach 116th St

Just for the record, when you get that high up in #s you're in Rockaway. Far Rockaway is considered to be further down towards the Atlantic Beach bridge.

By the way, you don't want to drive up towards that way through Far Rockaway, Wavecrest, etc on Beach Channel Drive at night (or at least stop at any red lights!)

If you must go -(and I doubt anyone will want to...) go over the Marine Pkwy bridge instead.

...or just go with another (safer) recommendation!

jayp67
(graduate of FRHS)

Crossbay bridge is a safe crossing.... just make sure you make a right coming off the bridge or you're in no mans land headed towards Far Rock and the Ghetto by the Sea.

Beach 116..... the old unofficial home of the Ramones and 'Rockaways'..... the greatest rock club east of CBGB's.

justbill_redux said:
S&S Cheesecake at 222 W 238th St in the Bronx gets my vote. I cried when I had to give it up. Thank goodness pussy is non fattening and eating it generally isn't bad for your health.
Try the carrot cake at Lloyd's at 6087 B'way (near 242nd) too! Best in the city.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Try the carrot cake at Lloyd's at 6087 B'way (near 242nd) too! Best in the city.
Rub it in why dont you, the only carrot products I eat these days are the raw ones from the produce section. Have you ever stopped in at any of the many Irish bars in the area and try to pick up any of the girls from Manhattan College ?

justbill_redux said:
Rub it in why dont you, the only carrot products I eat these days are the raw ones from the produce section.
I indulge once a year on my b-day. Traditional West Indian carrot cake made from scratch with raisins and walnuts on the icing.

It wouldn't be fair to talk about Lloyd's without mentioning Carrot Top, which is in Inwood on B'way around 215th st. by Bakers Field. It's an endless debate about which is better--I believe Carrot Top had a better, somewhat thicker icing but Lloyd's a better cake.

But, yeah, S&S Cheesecake Factory was other worldly, at least when I had it last about four years ago. Please don't tell me it has declined.

Last edited:
Mr. Wet Wooly said:
I indulge once a year on my b-day. Traditional West Indian carrot cake made from scratch with raisins and walnuts on the icing.

It wouldn't be fair to talk about Lloyd's without mentioning Carrot Top, which is in Inwood on B'way around 215th st. by Bakers Field. It's an endless debate about which is better--I believe Carrot Top had a better, somewhat thicker icing but Lloyd's a better cake.

But, yeah, S&S Cheesecake Factory was other worldly, at least when I had it last about four years ago. Please don't tell me it has declined.
Last time I had S&S was about 2 years ago, it was delicious and a recent purchase for a BBQ in WP got rave reviews. But after my annual physical and a bad lipid profile, elevated BP and a weight gain I decided I needed a life style change and gave up, over the course of a year, a lot of the things I loved, like cheese/carrot cake. Never went to either Lloyds or Carrot Top, but I imagine Carrot Top gets a ton of business from the Columbia home crowd.

Lots of good memories for me in that upper Manhattan/Bronx/Riverdale area, food as well as women.

justbill_redux said:
Last time I had S&S was about 2 years ago, it was delicious and a recent purchase for a BBQ in WP got rave reviews. But after my annual physical and a bad lipid profile, elevated BP and a weight gain I decided I needed a life style change and gave up, over the course of a year, a lot of the things I loved, like cheese/carrot cake. Never went to either Lloyds or Carrot Top, but I imagine Carrot Top gets a ton of business from the Columbia home crowd.

Lots of good memories for me in that upper Manhattan/Bronx/Riverdale area, food as well as women.

Went to S&S yesterday and had to make it before 2:00 as thats the unusual closing time.

Well lets say I was surprised by the outsdide and the inside. Real industrial, no frills.

The old man was nice but not very friendly as he was itching to get back to his baking.

It looked like he was the only guy there and didnt know he's been on the web with great reviews.

Got the cheesecake and I must say it was very creamy and soft. The thing that I liked was its au natural and kosher and there was no aftertaste or synthetic taste.

I am going back for the chocolate mousse and that is his only other product. The cake was for a bithday and all the reviews were outstanding. Very rich and filling.

bangbroads said:
Went to S&S yesterday and had to make it before 2:00 as thats the unusual closing time.

Well lets say I was surprised by the outsdide and the inside. Real industrial, no frills.

The old man was nice but not very friendly as he was itching to get back to his baking.
That's a little strange -- I thought most bakers baked in the early morning.

Monk said:
That's a little strange -- I thought most bakers baked in the early morning.
the "store front" which is really a fridge and a sign in the middle of the warehouse is open till 2. He is there all day he said and he looks it.