Cell Phone Blocker

Cellphone jammers are illegal in the US, as per the the Federal Communications Act of 1934:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/t...int&adxnnlx=1186979061-lv9BFdzP3j9juPmNThM14Q

Now, not saying people don't use them. Danny Meyer used to use them in his restaurants, but eventually was forced to take them out. I know of a few people who take them into theaters when they go to see a movie or show. People buy them and people use them.

But in this country, jammers are illegal.

I had heard that a lot of schools had installed jammers to prevent students from using their cell phones inside the school building.

Last edited:
Cellphone jammers are illegal in the US, as per the the Federal Communications Act of 1934:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/t...int&adxnnlx=1186979061-lv9BFdzP3j9juPmNThM14Q

Now, not saying people don't use them. Danny Meyer used to use them in his restaurants, but eventually was forced to take them out. I know of a few people who take them into theaters when they go to see a movie or show. People buy them and people use them.

But in this country, jammers are illegal.

From the link you posted...

Meanwhile, others have begun devising cellphone ring-restriction technology that is legal, at least until further notice. (The F.C.C. maintains no regulations against cellphone-blocking techniques other than jamming, but does not rule out the possibility that such techniques could be scrutinized in the future.)

these guys sell some creepy stuff..lol just got my voice changing telephone for $7.50 and scared the hell out of some friends.

Actually some people pay good money for these cell phone blockers since it's hard to get in here but the problem is the portability....looks like it needs a power outlet...

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
I seriously wish the cell phone industry would get together and develop a standard so that phones could be forced to a mode that disabled audible rings and prevented calls from being answered, but which allowed vibrate mode and a hold feature.

cell phone blockers are also dangerous in a way... what if one was activated inside... and there was some emergency you needed to call 911 for..

justme

homo economicus
That's why I think a special mode is needed. You could force the phone into a mode where it would continue to allow outgoing calls - or even just outgoing emergency calls.

RE: cell phone blockers

One problem with these blockers, if the county or city your using this device in has an 800 publice saftey system, these units will be blocked also. Which means your interfering with emergency communications ie fire, EMS and police radio traffic.

What's unfortunate is that we have to look to technology to provide a solution to this, when really some good manners and common sense would do the same thing. But, of course we know that the general public isn't likely to get either so technology is the only fix.

These devices have been around for some time.

There was a whole scandal a few years back when it was found that some hotels in major cities where using them to block cell phones so that guests were forced to use the hotel's high priced in room phones to make outgoing calls.

They work two ways. Emitter, which covers the cellphone signal with one of its own. Super conductive antenna, which soaks up so much of the ambient signal that none of it gets to the phone.

I believe the ones on the website in question are the latter.

Last edited:
I bet it's more legal than you think. Probably depends on how it's used and probably varies from state to state.
Very illegal and has nothing to do with the state laws. Radio transmission (and TV is radio transmission) and everything related (such as antennas) is governed by the FCC, not local governments or private organizations. There are other govermental agancies that can regulate the detectors e.g. DOT (inclucing state DOT's such as NY's) can forbid them in commercial vehicles they regulate. As far as I know only Virginia an DC still has Radar detectors as illegal - perhaps the law hasn't been challenged yet - I don't know.

To prevent radio reception (and thus prevent cell phone use) the walls and ceiling can be covered with electrically conductive material (can be very thin such as a foil or a wire screen material behind the walls or paint with a lot of conductive materiall content). This will prevent reception of radio frequencies and is perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Well if it's the one Thorn mentioned as likely.... "Super conductive antenna, which soaks up so much of the ambient signal that none of it gets to the phone."... it's not transmitting anything and thus the FCC does not apply

That's pretty much as legal as tin foil walls.