Cable box descramblers

my box died this weekend, after a 15 year run. being stuck at home with the wife and kids and no tv was tough. i'm trying to get my hands on a replacement box for time warner analog cable in manhattan. any ideas would be appreciated.

They have to keep sending out an analog signal for all those entitled basic access. That is a wire coming into the home so as to use their line to receive the basic over the air stations plus all the public access and govt run stations and a handful of others who basically give their service for free (USA, TBS, CNN... I think those were on the basic service when I had TWC (NYC)... not sure if it's changed and the line up does vary depending on carrier.

It's under the same provision or FCC rule as the supply of a telephone line. I think it's a legal right to lines of communication or some shit. I think it also covers the entitlement to mount a DSS dish too.

Last edited:
I should add the reason it has to remain analog is so you can plug it directly into your TV without the use of a box.

just in case that wasn't clear.

This topic seems as treacherous to navigate as others on this board. I've got basic analog service and you've piqued my curiosity. I checked out the cl ad and am considering it. I had heard that TW shot what was referred to as a "bullet" through their system periodically to change the scrambling signal to render descrambler boxes useless. So, this is not the case?

Not anymore.

The so-called "bullet" was just a signal that reset the boxes totheir original condition. And since they were tampered with and not registered that usually meant they were rendered useless. I had a box I gave to a friend that still works since 1990. When the digital cable came out and they phased out the analog boxes and system and they took all the PPV's off analog system, it was useless to keep up with those boxes.

And before anyone asks or claims there are...... there are no cracked digital boxes in existance. Constant two-way communication prevents this from happening. And since it's been about 3 years now I doubt the hackers are anywhere close to this. Same with Direct TV and zapping those P-4 cards. Best bet is Dish Network and zap those cards. You'll get everything but the NFL direct ticket and anything else only found only Direct TV.

Great info Oz. The Cable companies keep moving channels out of the Analog spectrum to get as many people as they can over to Digital.

I was at Cablevision one day to exchange my IO box for the HD IO box and the place was full of disgruntled Senior Ladies who could no longer watch the Soap Opera Channel unless they switched to IO.

I think the plan is to eventually have all the channels moved over to the Digital Spectrum and the analog goes back to the govt. I think the Federal mandate is for the cable companies to have equipment in place to supply the signal to consumers who do not have/want boxes or want to replace their exisitng TVs.

the guy only charges $100. my old box cost me $300 in the early 90s! i think he mentioned that he also does dish network, but i don't remember. he's a middle aged electronics nerd and very laid back. he sells the analog boxes withour remotes, so i bought one at radio shack for $8.

Analog channels

So the descramblers will only bring in analog channels over old-fashioned cable. Does TW still provide premium channels over analog? Or standards, like Comedy Central and Nickelodeon? Any sort of HD is out, I gather. Trying to make an informed decision. Thanks.

I think the plan is to eventually have all the channels moved over to the Digital Spectrum and the analog goes back to the govt. I think the Federal mandate is for the cable companies to have equipment in place to supply the signal to consumers who do not have/want boxes or want to replace their exisitng TVs.

Correct... the analog system is headed for govt use. Same with the analog am/fm radio dial. The govt is actually pissed off cause this was supposed to happen already.

they used to sell those boxes with the button that you hooked up to you analong cable box that you could unscramble the channels you had to put you box ob channell 2 and then hold the button in for like 30 seconds

billyS

Reign of Terror
they used to sell those boxes with the button that you hooked up to you analong cable box that you could unscramble the channels you had to put you box ob channell 2 and then hold the button in for like 30 seconds
I had something like that. It was a test kit. It put the box into test mode and automatically descrambled all the channels. Problem was as described above once CV started moving all the good stuff off analog there was nothing worth left descrambling.
I also had a box back in the late 90's that would descramble anything, although sometimes the colors would get inversed on PVP or Playboy and you had to hit a button to correct it. Eventually the box burnt out.

I got both devices thru hand to hand transactions with guys I knew and paid cash. I would never purchase shit like this thru ebay or with a credit card. Thats how Cv caught a lot of people and sued them.