Buy shares of Citigroup Inc.

Citigroup Inc shares are, as I write this priced at $1.05 per share. Over the past ten years Citigroup shares have hovered at about $50/share. I'm considering buying 2,000 shares. What do you think?

Citigroup Inc shares are, as I write this priced at $1.05 per share. Over the past ten years Citigroup shares have hovered at about $50/share. I'm considering buying 2,000 shares. What do you think?

I bought Citigroup at 24.0
Then when it went to 2.50 bought again to average down
Now Citigroup is cheaper than a latte Grande
This is the largest bank in the world
I don't think its going to be permitted to go under
Go for it

I was thinking the same with General Motors.....they were at 25.50 a year ago and now they hover between 1.50 and 2.25 a share....take a grand and gamble that our government will not let them go bankrupt. If they do its a night in A/C.

I was thinking the same with General Motors.....they were at 25.50 a year ago and now they hover between 1.50 and 2.25 a share....take a grand and gamble that our government will not let them go bankrupt. If they do its a night in A/C.
The problem with GM is that they were hurting long before the current market crash. If the economy improves, people will go back to buying more Japanese cars, not American cars. Have you noticed that the price of gas crashed along with the market? If the economy improves, there's every reason to believe that the price of gas will climb back up. This will make the large SUV's and trucks that Detroit sell well (the only vehicles they sell well) less desirable again.

The problem with GM is that they were hurting long before the current market crash. If the economy improves, people will go back to buying more Japanese cars, not American cars. Have you noticed that the price of gas crashed along with the market? If the economy improves, there's every reason to believe that the price of gas will climb back up. This will make the large SUV's and trucks that Detroit sell well (the only vehicles they sell well) less desirable again.
Yes I totally understand this, but if people feel the economy is turning around maybe they will go after the Escalades and big vehicles again. But the bigger point is whether or not the government will let them go bankrupt or not ? Even if you held the stock for 2 years and it went back up to 20.00 a share. Then cash out. They will have to get stronger management and get the unions to agree to reductions and will have to make a variety of cars as well to compete with all markets

I found the link below when I Googles "Is Citigroup Inc. a good buy?"

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/citigroup-good-buy/story.aspx?guid={A02F53C1-74DB-4A8A-A817-D250BC2619A1}

Last edited:
Yes I totally understand this, but if people feel the economy is turning around maybe they will go after the Escalades and big vehicles again. But the bigger point is whether or not the government will let them go bankrupt or not ? Even if you held the stock for 2 years and it went back up to 20.00 a share. Then cash out. They will have to get stronger management and get the unions to agree to reductions and will have to make a variety of cars as well to compete with all markets
Sorry, but you're overlooking the most likely scenario, which is that the insiders take preferred positions while the general equity holders take it up the old wazoo. The government, the hedge funds, the vulture capitalists, etc., aren't looking to save the suckers who rode these stocks down. They'll kick in the money to save these companies only if they get the equity. The only upside is theirs....

Sorry, but you're overlooking the most likely scenario, which is that the insiders take preferred positions while the general equity holders take it up the old wazoo. The government, the hedge funds, the vulture capitalists, etc., aren't looking to save the suckers who rode these stocks down. They'll kick in the money to save these companies only if they get the equity. The only upside is theirs....
I understand, thats why I feel its a gamble. The only question is whether or not the odds are favorable or not ?

Based on this, I would think the best way to buy stocks would be on-line stock trading web sites like e-trade.

I understand, thats why I feel its a gamble. The only question is whether or not the odds are favorable or not ?
Unable to wait until quarterly earnings are reported in April, the CEO made the news today by reporting earnings for January and February. Citii made several billion dollars in operating profits. What's not reported is the amount of writeoffs they'll have to take, like they've taken for the last 5 quarters, I believe. Also, what's not reported is the number of bad mortgages they'll be reporting as 'current' because they're temporarily authorizing people to pay only $500 per month. I've gotten better odds at Belmont. Just MHO.

Well, last I looked it was up 25% with this AM's rush. That wouldn't be a bad return for a 24 hour investment.....if anyone actually bought and sold.

I was thinking the same thing with AIG. Their stock price last week was .41 cents. With $150MM from the government, how can they and their stock price do anything but go up? Unless they plan on spending all that money on lavish retreats.