Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills

This is a fabulous restaurant, especially if you like organic food and locally grown stuff. I have had some woderful times there over the last two years. Imagine my surprise when the sommelier recognized me from Le Bernardin - it took some fast talking to cover up that one on the home front!

Go organic,

Chels

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason you didn't find a link is that the restaurant is actually called Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

I hope Chels doesn't mind if I fix the title of this thread (assuming I can figure out how to do that).

It's a little unfair for me to write this, since I haven't been to either restaurant, but I heard that when they opened Blue Hill in Manhattan that the quality of the original restaurant (the one at Stone Barns) dropped. Is there any truth to this?

It can't be true.

Because the New York restaurant opened many years before the Westchester offshoot did.

Maybe what you heard is that the New York original restaurant got worse after the Westchester offshoot opened. Since I dislike the New York restaurant, I wouldn't be able to judge that.

Last edited:
The reason you didn't find a link is that the restaurant is actually called Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

I hope Chels doesn't mind if I fix the title of this thread (assuming I can figure out how to do that).
I certainly don't mind the correction. Actually, I first learned about this place from some friends in Tarrytown. The next thing I learned was that it is the most popular restaurant in Westchester County, according to Zagat.

Enjoy,

Chels

It can't be true.

Because the New York restaurant opened many years before the Westchester offshoot did
When Dan Barber opened Blue Hill, a particular gentleman became a regular patron, he became a huge fan of the place. He eventually approached Dan and told him about the location in Pocantico Hills that he would like him to consider opening an offshoot since he owned the property. The man was David Rockefeller and the rest is history.

This was told to me by someone very very close to Dan.

I hate to be the one to break up the lovefest but I have eaten at the Westchester restaurant twice and found it to be very over-rated and hugely over priced. In fact, both times the people I went with felt the same way.

Overrated? If it's anything like their Manhattan place, I can only agree.

Overpriced? I guess that's what they get for charging standard Manhattan prices out in the burbs.

I hate to be the one to break up the lovefest but I have eaten at the Westchester restaurant twice and found it to be very over-rated and hugely over priced. In fact, both times the people I went with felt the same way.
Each to his own Mr. F. Restaurant quality is in the eye (mouth, stomach?) of the beholder. My friends and I enjoy the place thoroughly. You and your friend did not. That's what makes the horse race! It would be helpful though if you explained more thoroughly why you didn't like it, other than the price that is.

Ps. I have not been to the NYC place.

Enjoy good food,

Chels

Each to his own Mr. F. Restaurant quality is in the eye (mouth, stomach?) of the beholder. My friends and I enjoy the place thoroughly. You and your friend did not. That's what makes the horse race! It would be helpful though if you explained more thoroughly why you didn't like it, other than the price that is.

Enjoy good food,

Chels
In this way, reviewing restaurants is a lot like reviewing prostitutes. Now I finally understand why this section is on this board!

I thought that it had been definitively established years ago that restaurants are analogous to commercial sex in almost every way.
I have to laugh, because I was the one who used to make that argument and got shot down so many times (especially by Slinky) that I gave up.

Enjoy good food,

Chels
Fair enough.

Other than what I believed was a very over priced meal for the quality here are my issues.

There was much more attention to the theory of the meal, i. e. the macrobiotic self-sustained farm production, than to a coherent dish. I thought there were flavors that did not match, and quality of produce (note I am not complaining about freshness) that was sub par for the prices. I thought the preparation was off both times I was there as well. A vegetable dish came out with way too much salt and the sweet breads were way over sauced.

In short, I found the restaurant too cerebral at the expense of taste.

Continuing the above, I am not against this kind of restaurant - I really liked Verbena in the city when they were around. I just felt the whole production of Blue Hill in Westchester was a bit much.

The room and the surroundings were beautiful though.

Maybe we have been lucky when we have gone to eat here. The fist time was in July when a lot of the ingredients were quite fresh and, so the waiter said, from their gardens.

Thank, Sir F for being more specific. I see your point.

Enjoy fresh food,

Chels

Maybe we have been lucky when we have gone to eat here. The fist time was in July when a lot of the ingredients were quite fresh and, so the waiter said, from their gardens.

Thank, Sir F for being more specific. I see your point.

Enjoy fresh food,

Chels
Thank you for making me a Sir.

This thread makes me think a best restaurants in Westchester could be useful.