Blu-Ray DVDs

Anybody seen this new format yet? It's a larger capacity than the current DVD standard, meaning you go put a couple of today's DVDs onto one DVD. I think Panasonic or Toshiba developed this while Sony has another format coming out soon. It's supposed to be the today's equivalent of VHS vs. Beta.

Actually the reason for extra storage of information is for the Hi-Def quality and not to store multiple movies. Problem is there's very little in the way of true hi-def material on the market or airwaves.... So right now HD anything is mostly an expensive waste of technology unless one of the few broadcasts that are in actual HD is something you're really interested in. Give it another two-three years before the motion picture industry starts filming more hi-def material and hi-def broadcasts become the norm. By then the prices will come down and till then the DVD you have now will suffice.

The Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war will be an interesting one in the years to come. It seems that half of the movie industry has signed on with Blu-Ray and half with HD-DVD.

What this may mean is that we may not be able to view certain movies in our own homes unless we have the right player.

I think it's very important for everyone here to agree on one of the formats to back, so the industry can choose the other and make sure we've all wasted a lot of money.

If its anything like the beta-vhs war it should only take about 3-5 years.

And HD-DVD will be the eventual winner. As we learned with beta and vhs.... They don't usually go with the quality (and I don't know which is better).... they go with the most cost efficient to produce..... and HD supposedly is 15% cheaper. It's also a far more marketable name.

I think this whole new format is horseshit. My dvd's look nice...they could look a little better but the difference between a dvd and a vhs movie is significantly worth the cost of upgrading a movie library over the difference between dvd and the blue ray/hd formats that are coming out. I'm not replacing my library with any of these new formats.

justlooking said:
Anyone who's seen the difference between HDTV and normal TV will agree that HD isn't horseshit.
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I agree with you in the difference between HDTV and TV.

I'm comparing the difference between DVD and HD DVD/Blu Ray. It's not as big a difference as the huge difference seen between VHS and DVD. For me it was worth it to upgrade my movie library from VHS to DVD. This time around, I'm not wasting my time and money.

So you're saying -- and now that I think of it, it should be obvious -- that the difference between TV and HDTV is much greater than the difference betwee DVD and HD DVD formats.

Yes I agree with that.

But it wasn't the purpose of my original post. My original post was stating how it was worth it for me to upgrade my entire movie library from vhs to dvd. The difference in quality this time around (from dvd to HD DVD/BluRay) is not worth me upgrading all over again. Don't get me wrong, the new movie formats look good but it's not an EXTREME jump in quality.

I don't know if I'm reading your posts correctly, but you seem to imply that TV is equivelant to the standard dvd's that are out. Dvd's are much superior to the standard signals that are being broadcast.

Whew...glad we understand each other now! It's just my opinion. I'm sure there will be someone who is a tech extremist that will compare digital compression and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't affect my viewing. In that case it might be a huge difference for them!

The best you can get from a typical NTSC television system, is about 525 lines of resolution. Thats 525 regardless of the source being a DSS, cable, laserdisc, DVD, etc. It's 625 lines of resolution on a PAL system (Europe, South America). And of this 525 there's always going to be about 10% of that dedicated for the transfer of info such as Cloced Captioning, Emergency Broadcast signals etc.... So you're prob working with something closer to 480 lines of resolution.

The best you can get from a VCR is around 240 lines of resolution. Typical cable TV is about 240-280 maybe 300 depending on your service. A DVD can go up to about 500 lines of resolution and a Blue Ray/HD DVD 720 and up to 1080.

Typical HD TV goes above the 720 threashold and up (1080). Then there's 1080p (progressive)... I won't even start getting into the difference bet 1080i and 1080p. Lets just go with the basic numbers for now.

So if you don't have an HD TV then the difference bet DVD and HD-DVD is moot.

If you do have an HD TV the difference between HD/BlueRay and standard DVD is as noticable as DVD is to VHS if not more so. There is certainly a noticable difference in resolution between HD and standard DVD.

But aside from investing heavily in a Blue Ray or HD DVD, you can still bump up your picture quality a bit if you have a 'progressive scan' DVD player which although specifically designed to work with HDTV will still show a noticable improvement when playing on a standard TV and will greatly improve your picture quality on an HDTV.

Last edited:
Anyway... as I said previously.... right now I wouldn't waste my time or money upgrading to HD unless its something you really feel is necessary... like if you're a sports nut and want to watch all the sporting broadcasts in HD.

I personally have all HD equipment but only because it's this business I'm in. 20 years ago I rigged my old Omnivision stereo VCR to play thru my systems amp and quad speakers with crossovers hooked up and basically created a simulated surround system. A few years later they came out with true Dolby Pro-Logic surround. Then about 8-10 years ago I had a 100 inch LCD projection system with a line doubler to get the max benefits out of my system at the time. Cost me a ton but it was worth it... now it's about equal to a progressive scan DVD on an HDTV. So I've always been a techie nut in that regard for a long time. But to the average person it's just technology taking you for a ride and fleecing as much of your money as they can before unloading the next big thing.

Just by coincidence I was in the Samsung store in the Time Warner mall yesterday.One of their LCD systems was playing some Blu-Ray CD.I had no idea what it was,but for whatever reason it looked shitty.I'll go back and ask one of the sales geeks about it and give him a chance to make me feel stupid.

Well there's literally dozens reasons for this. Could be the source was flawed.... The line supplying it may have been split off to supply other systems.... It could be inferior wiring.... HD and especially plasma TV require a higher standard of wire to produce a picture to it's maximum potential. You can't skimp on those little things in a system like this. Considering the building you were in it could also require an extremely high quality shielding on the wire with all the various electrical and network interference in so large and busy a building. I could go on and on but if you go to large department stores and office buildings you always will find you can't get the best results because of some form of interference.

Last edited:
Totally untrue. If anything the bigger the screen the farther away you should be to get the full effect.

Besides.... doesn't that go against everything we've always been told about keeping a certain (safe) distance from the TV.

Last edited:
Well.....

I own both. As of right now I am more pleased with the HD-DVD as opposed to the Blu-Ray. A lot of this whole battle will be settled when the ps-3 hits the stores.

From the word I'm getting from clients we've installed the two players with HD seems to be the clear cut winner in regards to quality and ease.... price is no object with anyone spending 20-30 grand or more on a home theater system.

Depending on the manufacturer the functions/menus are slower and more complicated on the Blu-Ray. There's also a bit more variety on the HD machines and thus a better chance you'll find something that is more catered to your needs. Blu-Ray is supposed to be a higher quality machine but it's all the same Solid State boards and parts and same gauge wiring inside so I don't think there's much to that claim.