Biggest Underperforming Players In MLB

fixitman said:
seeker i said sosa was the biggest disappointment so obviously he is at the top of my list of underperformers
Was not sure if that was a comment or a vote? lol. Thanks anyway though...we are just trying to keep the tally accurate!!!

ARod didn't deliver during the regular season, much less October. I'm a Yankee fan and found myself fearing every time ARod came to the plate with runners on in a tight game. He was horrible in close games and in "clutch" situations all season long.

ARod vs Ortiz:

"In the 20 games each of their teams won by six or more runs, A-Rod hit .549, had an OPS of 1.793 and racked up 46 of his 130 RBI (35 percent). Ortiz, on the other hand, batted .277, had an OPS almost 800 points lower than A-Rod's (.999) and drove in only 33 runs (22 percent of his overall total).

But in close games (games that either went to extra innings or were decided by one or two runs in regulation), the numbers look a whole lot different.

In those games -- and each team played exactly 65 of them -- A-Rod batted only .243, had an OPS of .805 and drove in just 38 runs (29 percent). Ortiz, meanwhile, clearly tapped some mysterious force that made him even better in moments like that -- batting .321, running up an OPS of 1.116 and knocking in nearly a run a game (62 -- or 42 percent of his overall total)."

I would rate the Top 3 as:
Bonds
Sosa
Brown

Piazza and Bernie are simply an age issue. They were both very, very good players in their day. Bernie is still far from a poor player, he just isn't the All Star Type any longer. As for Piazza the same is true. They both have bodies that have become injured more and more through the years. Bernie can still go get a ball quite well in center-field. He has the ball that Bubba blew in his back pocket.

As for putting A-Rod on the list, that does not make much sense to me. However, that is only my humble opinion of things, and everyone certainly has the right to speak or for that matter write their piece.

Last edited:
I also doubt that you can blame Pavano and Wright for the injuries that they had. These things happen from time to time. As for Wright they have taken place quite frequently. Pavano's is certainly something else.

Public Service Message

Thank you Rooster. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

I intend to post an interim tabulation of these results sometime around Thanksgiving. In the meantime...keep those nominations coming and maybe we can get some more input on players outside the Northeast.

I find the discussion in here quite enlightening...Im just curious why the steroid isssue has only come up once??

RoosterC74 said:
And he has absolutely no speed, nor does he play in the field.
Yes and Arod is better looking. And he has glossier numbers and the press loves him yada yada yada and he's faster. But does he provide value? Most VALUABLE player is the award, right?

Pitching, defense, clutch hitting..... That's what makes a team win. Reggie jackson was an MVP because he was clutch. Arod is a poser because when the Big spotlight is on him, he freezes up and POSES ....... Poser ......

Yank fans. If you cleared the slate and had to draft all your non-pitchers again and you could only draft current players, what order would you draft them in? I'm guessing that Jeter comes first. I'd take Matsui and Sheffield before I'd take Arod. Why, because all of them are more clutch than Arod. So why is he MVP?

Bluto said:
Rocketman,

How can you be a Mets fan with a name like "Rocketman"??

Lol. Let's Go Mets!

Bluto

I played baseball from Jr. High thru College and I was a pitcher. My favorite pitchers growing up were Roger Clemens, hence Rocketman, and John Smoltz, hence #29, which is the # I wore till I retired from my playing days. Pretty weird I guess for a Mets fan since they are both team nemises', but they are great. Still, I want to beat them when the Mets play them.

ALso, my nominations for Pitchers who underachieved are:

Mike Hampton (has sucked since he left the Mets after 2000)
Josh Beckett (great in World Series v. Yanks, but mediocre record since)
A.J. Burnett (Scary that he is the top rated free agent pither this year, I predict he will greatly underachieve with his new team next year)

Curt Schilling (I know he was injured but he was terrible this year)
Keith Foulke (Another injury but bad before he went out)

My team, Braden Looper (Goodbye!)

Seeker/Rocketman-

It is good to see that we discuss things around her in a positive, non-confronting, and sain manner. Through the years my difficulties with threads such as these is someone (one or two guys) gets carried away with slinging around insults, etc. and the thread moves in a negative direction. Thus, I would love to see more threads such as this one keep a positive tone.

OddF-
Is it at all possible for you discuss this topic in an adult manner without using nasty, and distatesful words such as POSER,etc.? Is this stuff that important to you, that you have to throw around such words? It is simply only sports-isn't it? Certainly not a life or death issue?

The fact that you have a strong opinion about A-Rod is certainly not a secret. We can read your thoughts, without tossing slang terms around about him. Additionally, you certainly have every right to your opinion of him. Here are a few quick comments to your post:
1-Most Valuable-means just that. To me it means most important to a team. Since the voting takes place prior to the post-season, then lets not incluce the post-season in it. I agree with you that A-Rod did not have a very good post-season.
2-Throughout the regular year, I was suggesting that A-Rod was more Valuable because he played the field, and also has speed on the base paths. The other numbers between the two are quite similar.
3-The statement about looks, has nothing to do with Most Valuable Player.
4-As for your final question about drafting a non-pitchers here is my list of current Yanks:
First-D. Jeter
Sccond-A-Rod
Third-Matsui
Fourth-Shef.
5-And last of all, he won the MVP because it was based on the regular season, and he deserved it.

Last edited:
Rocketman:

Fair explanation. Personally, as a Mets fan, there aren't two pitchers in baseball I hate more than Clemens and Smoltz, but I'm a Barry Bonds fan so go figure!

Bluto