Big Skin Cream Love Hotel experience?

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
1. It's okay to be picky. However, I did write the words shiikureto and garufurendo in katagana. After all, they are words of foreign origin.
Indeed, you did, and I don't know what I was thinking (or seeing) when I posted...not much, apparently. More evidence that it is best to be awake when surfing the net. Mea culpa! (Does that count as posting in a foreign language?)

2. In the past, posting in foreign languages violated UG rules -- as per the case-by-case interpretation by Slinkybender-san. In this case, given the intend behind the rules he implemented, I doubt that he would object to this situation.
Although Bender-sama is tres (let's see how many languages we can get in here) inscrutable, I completely agree with you expectation. I meant it only as a warning (to all) against making a post entirely in Japanese, as once happened to me on another PMB when one of the ladies of the board discovered that I can manage the language (a little). We carried on a J "conversation" in posts for a while until others began to complain that it was annoying.

-Ww

(snip) Although Bender-sama is tres (let's see how many languages we can get in here) inscrutable, I completely agree with you expectation. (snip)
Slinkybender-sama had very specific reasons for the foreign language prohibition (which I can't delve into). Trust me when I say that it wasn't related to helping fellow UGers improve their ablities to navigate the playgrounds of Japan. In this case, my intent is to share info and enlighten . . .

(snip) We carried on a J "conversation" in posts for a while until others began to complain that it was annoying.
They complained? They said it was annoying? Tough nuggies! Apparently, you weren't hurting or flaming anyone. And, apparently, you weren't bombarding that PMB with spam. Perhaps it was jealousy that drove them to complain. Wussies!

Wwanderer

Slinkybender-sama had very specific reasons for the foreign language prohibition (which I can't delve into). Trust me when I say that it wasn't related to helping fellow UGers improve their ablities to navigate the playgrounds of Japan. In this case, my intent is to share info and enlighten . . .
Agreed re these/your posts, which are very helpful/useful, imo.

I was VERY active (I didn't get these 5000+ UG posts at my current level of participation!) on UG at the time the foreign language ban was adopted and vaguely recall the specific circumstances. However, the general thought behind the rule is simply that posting in a foreign language (which board management cannot read) prevents the enforcement of all of UG's numerous other rules about post content.

They complained? They said it was annoying? Tough nuggies! Apparently, you weren't hurting or flaming anyone. And, apparently, you weren't bombarding that PMB with spam. Perhaps it was jealousy that drove them to complain. Wussies!
Yes, though not so much jealousy of the ability to communicate in Japanese as of the fact that I was getting more than my share of attention from one of that board community's leading hotties and flirts. However, those that objected made the reasonable point that the whole purpose of posting on a message board is so that "everyone" has the opportunity to read what you have to say...else why not just use electronic mail or messaging or whatever. Anyway, I was happy enough to stop; it was more trouble (for me) than it was worth after the first few messages established that we could do it.

-Ww

(snip)However, the general thought behind the rule is simply that posting in a foreign language (which board management cannot read) prevents the enforcement of all of UG's numerous other rules about post content. (snip)
Actually, management was able to translate. It was the content, and the intent, of those messages that triggered the ban. I can't divulge more without violating confidential communiqués that I received.

(snip)Yes, though not so much jealousy of the ability to communicate in Japanese as of the fact that I was getting more than my share of attention from one of that board community's leading hotties and flirts. However, those that objected made the reasonable point that the whole purpose of posting on a message board is so that "everyone" has the opportunity to read what you have to say (snip)
Jealousy, IMHO, to the point of implementing a "no dunking" rule; or you can only bat lefty . . .

On A Related Subject . . .

(snip) . . . there is something about the style of male-female interactions in Japan, and not only in sexual contexts, that is fundamentally different in structure than those in western culture(s). It is even embedded in the language, as you probably know. But I don't know how to describe it very well; "submissive" is the best I can do in a single word.
This is a long over-due reply in connection with your comments on a different thread. However, this discourse is applicable here too.

Wwanderer, my friend, I know that you are engaged in a struggle to describe a phenomenon here and it can be difficult. One of the first rules of aesthetics is: “Once you describe something, you are no longer describing it.”

Once again, I think these differences are based on the Confucian and Buddhist roots of Asian cultures. In Thailand, Korea and Japan, there are linguistic differences in terms of male and female usage and vocabulary. Female usage in the three languages of those countries is softer and sweeter. Male usage is rough-and-tumble. IMHO, this is based on the recognition that there are differences between men and women.

IMHO, the Buddhist perspective recognizes the nature of things – whether it is water, earth, fire, men or the Laws of Gravity. A thing has its characteristics that can’t be changed. Therefore, rather than seeking to changes the characteristics of things, one should recognize reality and proceed accordingly. Stone tends to be hard. Objects fall toward Earth. Men tend to be visual, are stimulated by the sight of many women and have a very strong interest in the physical act of sex.

A buddy of mine was walking around Tokyo with his Japanese girlfriend when they happened upon s shop whose window featured a poster of a very cute J-Girl (I know, I know, that’s redundant) in a bikini. How did his gf react when my buddy gravitated toward the poster? His gf tugged on his arm and sweetly said, “Don’t be boring!” And it worked. He was fine.

An American girl might have subjected such a guy to a diatribe about the objectification of women, male oppression, etc. An American girl might Read The Riot Act to such a guy. Instead, the J-Girl recognized the fact that her bf was attracted to the J-Girl in the poster. She accepted the reality of things and worked within it.

The other end of the spectrum is illustrated by the popular American joke: “Women spend all their lives looking for the perfect man. Then when they find him, they try to change him.”

I remember growing up with the tyranny of the Women’s Liberation Movement. I remember getting insulted for opening doors, pulling out chairs and being nice. Girls getting in my face, carrying around and smacking us with their copies of “The Feminine Mystique” and “The Women's Room.” And, let’s not even talk about Separatist Lesbians. It was out of control.

As we proceed in our present culture with Hillary, Rosanna, Rosie, Whoopi and Oprah wagging their fingers at us, we are the ones expected to be submissive. We are supposed to accept the perverse notion that obese is beautiful. By contrast, J-Girls might appear to be submissive. I say that they recognize the nature of things and seek to obtain a sense of harmony in situations.

That’s yet another reason why I like J-Girls, who have exposed the G-7 and the world to what the American Fem-Nazis refer to as “unrealistic standards of thinness and beauty."

Wwanderer

This is a long over-due reply in connection with your comments on a different thread. However, this discourse is applicable here too. ...
Thanks for the terrific post. I will definitely reply, but with some delay because I won't have the time to do an adequate job of it for at least a few more days.

-Ww

Thanks for the terrific post. I will definitely reply, but with some delay because I won't have the time to do an adequate job of it for at least a few more days.

-Ww
It's cool. Keep in mind, some of what I wrote was based on personal observations and sharing notes with other people - Japanese and non-Japanese. And some of what I wrote is based on a collection of people who have critiqued Japanese society, from Edwin Reischauer and beyond. Unlike the immutable Laws of Physics, my observations and opinions are subject to analysis, interpretation and criticism.

Wwanderer

Keep in mind, some of what I wrote was based on personal observations and sharing notes with other people - Japanese and non-Japanese. And some of what I wrote is based on a collection of people who have critiqued Japanese society, from Edwin Reischauer and beyond. Unlike the immutable Laws of Physics, my observations and opinions are subject to analysis, interpretation and criticism.
Quoting your two posts out of order, let me start by noting 1) that the sources of my comments are essentially the same, as are their limitations, and 2) that we are largely in agreement on this topic. Re #2, I will only add comments and perspectives and perhaps slightly different emphases to what you have said. There is nothing in it that looks "wrong" to me or disagrees with my own experiences and information.

Wwanderer, my friend, I know that you are engaged in a struggle to describe a phenomenon here and it can be difficult. One of the first rules of aesthetics is: “Once you describe something, you are no longer describing it.”
Right. As I said in an earlier post, "submissive" was the best I could do for something so subtle in one word. You have done much better...though in many more words! :D

But let me reply to your quoted aphorism/koan about "describing", with an often repeated comment about Japan (sometimes attributed to Reischauer...but I've never checked):

"After you spend 6 days in Japan, all of its mysteries and culture will seem clear and understandable to you; after 6 weeks there, you will understand that you have no idea at all what is happening around you; in 6 months, you will have learned enough to feel that you are beginning to penetrate the mysteries of this strange land; and by the time 6 years have passed, you will have given up the hope of ever really grasping the Japanese." (This is only a rough quote, a paraphrasing really.) That strikes me as a bit over the top and an exaggeration, but it is a good perspective to keep in mind when trying to "explain Japan" to other gaijin...and better still for them to remember when listening!

Once again, I think these differences are based on the Confucian and Buddhist roots of Asian cultures. In Thailand, Korea and Japan, there are linguistic differences in terms of male and female usage and vocabulary. Female usage in the three languages of those countries is softer and sweeter. Male usage is rough-and-tumble.
I VERY much agree that it is best to try to understand the fundamentals of male-female relationships in a cultural and linguistic context, as you indicate. Otherwise it is like, say, trying to understand spark plugs or steering wheels without knowing anything about internal combustion engines or cars...just hopeless without the context. True of many other topics as well.

I am also reminded of two people I know, both utterly "native-speaker" fluent in English and equally in a rather different foreign language (Korean in one case, Greek in the other) due to growing up partly in the US and partly abroad. Both say that they have dramatically different personalities in their two languages, that they feel almost like a different person when they talk to a native English speaker vs a native speaker of their other language. It is a cliche', but perhaps an under appreciated one, that our native language controls not what we think, but rather *how* we think.

A buddy of mine was walking around Tokyo with his Japanese girlfriend when they happened upon s shop whose window featured a poster of a very cute J-Girl (I know, I know, that’s redundant) in a bikini. How did his gf react when my buddy gravitated toward the poster? His gf tugged on his arm and sweetly said, “Don’t be boring!” And it worked. He was fine.
A good story and example. I'll bet you could give many others because they are so common. I know I could. If I gave a full account of how I ended up in the unusually themed love hotel room that started this thread, it too would be an example. For a variety of reasons (privacy, brevity, simplicity) my telling made it sound as though she simply suggested the place and took me there (which would have been fine with me, actually). In reality and, I suspect, instinctively she maneuvered me there in a way that made me feel "in control" or "dominant" through the whole process...

An American woman that I know, who has lived as an expat in Tokyo for decades and knows the language and culture as well as any gaijin I've ever met, explained it to me best. She said that for Western women, their man is like powerful stallion which they ride by holding themselves in place with saddle and stirrup while controlling his behavior through constant struggle with reins, bit, crop and perhaps spurs...a contest of wills. For Japanese women she said that their man is also like a powerful stallion, but they ride bareback (heh!) and control with gentle pressure from their legs, stroking the horse's neck or whispering in its ear and by pampering it with food and grooming and companionship. In other words they "persuade" the horse to make pleasing them its own will. She says, and I can see it to be true, that she has done it both ways and that the second is both more difficult (for her, at least) and more rewarding. I think it is a really good metaphor.

This seems to me to be a good place to add the caveat that these are generalizations. I am sure that there are Japanese women who are more the saddle and crop type and American women who are masters of the gentle bareback technique. However, the generalization has a lot of validity in my experience and opinion.

An American girl might have subjected such a guy to a diatribe about the objectification of women, male oppression, etc. An American girl might Read The Riot Act to such a guy....

I remember growing up with the tyranny of the Women’s Liberation Movement....

As we proceed in our present culture with Hillary, Rosanna, Rosie, Whoopi and Oprah wagging their fingers at us, we are the ones expected to be submissive.

That’s yet another reason why I like J-Girls, who have exposed the G-7 and the world to what the American Fem-Nazis refer to as “unrealistic standards of thinness and beauty."
I guess that this is the part of your post with which I least agree, again not that I think it is wrong, per se, but just that I wouldn't choose to contrast Japanese male-female relationships particularly with extreme modern Western feminist "models". The latter is simply too nuts, too recent, too shallow, too theoretical and too politically motivated to make sense or work in the real world. It would be fairer to contrast the Japanese form of relationships to some more conventional/traditional Western one...which, whether worse or better, at least can (and very often does) work and is based on a long evolution and rich cultural history. I think the saddle vs bareback riding metaphor is closer to the mark. The extreme Women's Lib version of "relationships" is more like the rider breaking the horse's legs with a hammer and then beating it for failing to carry her around on its back. Anything that works at all looks better by contrast.

And, to conclude on a happy note, I have at least two more trips to Tokyo coming up this year! :D

-Ww

More On Japan, etc.

(snip) But let me reply to your quoted aphorism/koan about "describing", with an often repeated comment about Japan (sometimes attributed to Reischauer...but I've never checked): "After you spend 6 days in Japan . . . (snip)
An excellent quote and it does a great job of describing the situation. I went through a similar progression . . .
I am also reminded of two people I know, both utterly "native-speaker" fluent in English and equally in a rather different foreign language (Korean in one case, Greek in the other) due to growing up partly in the US and partly abroad. Both say that they have dramatically different personalities in their two languages, that they feel almost like a different person when they talk to a native English speaker vs a native speaker of their other language. It is a cliche', but perhaps an under appreciated one, that our native language controls not what we think, but rather *how* we think.
That is spot-on! I could tell you more stories, but I am often accused of waxing poetic/verbose. LOL Those of us who live in the world of multilinguality will understand this.
An American woman that I know, who has lived as an expat in Tokyo for decades and knows the language and culture as well as any gaijin I've ever met, explained it to me best. She said that for Western women . . . (snip)
Another great analogy. It sounds as if your friend is handling her experience well. Some Western women in Japan become extremely bitter because they are frequently ignored by Westerner men who tend to chase J-Girls.
I guess that this is the part of your post with which I least agree, again not that I think it is wrong, per se, but just that I wouldn't choose to contrast Japanese male-female relationships particularly with extreme modern Western feminist "models". The latter is simply too nuts, too recent, too shallow, too theoretical and too politically motivated to make sense or work in the real world. (snip)
I hope that this doesn't seem like a rant . . . However, this is the real world for some of us. As someone who grew-up and attended college in the Northeast, this is what I dealt with in high school and college. This was my reality from 7th Grade until college graduation and at various times beyond. It was almost like dealing with the Cultural Revolution and the Red Guard. Some girls were waving around their copies of "The Feminine Mystique" like Mao's Little Red Book.

It might be "too recent" in the sense that Japan has a society that is about 1,500+ years old. Within the context of our modern age of rapid information exchange and overall change, a trend that started in the 1970s might be considered by some as "not too recent."

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Hilliary . . . That might have caused you to perceive a politcal bias in my position. Politics had absolutely nothing to do with my comments, unless of course they are taken into context along the lines of Tip O'Neill's quote that "All politics are local." Male-Female relationships can often be as local as it gets.

My comments weren't politically motivated, they were Male Liberation motivated. This reality is the jagged sharp pebble in my shoe since the 7th Grade -- exacerbated by my experience in Japan and return to the US. And to further illustrate the reality of this tyranny, some of my personal friends and Net friends have been subjected to dirty looks and/or snide comments from FemNazi tourists as my buddies were enjoying themselves (drinking coffee or beer with attractive Asian girls) in various parts of Asia.

Also, as my earlier comments amounted to a discourse, I wanted to test the philosophical validity of my views on the differences between the two societies. Therefore, I reduced the American example to the extreme. Sorry. ごめん ごめん. I am waxing verbose.
And, to conclude on a happy note, I have at least two more trips to Tokyo coming up this year! :D
I am jealous. 羨ましい! I hope that you have as much fun as possible.

Wwanderer

It sounds as if your friend is handling her experience well. Some Western women in Japan become extremely bitter because they are frequently ignored by Westerner men who tend to chase J-Girls.
Not this one. She loves loves loves Tokyo, and it seems to feel exactly the same way about her. But I do know the syndrome you mention.

I hope that this doesn't seem like a rant . . . However, this is the real world for some of us. As someone who grew-up and attended college in the Northeast, this is what I dealt with in high school and college. This was my reality from 7th Grade until college graduation and at various times beyond.
Nothing wrong with a rant on the net; that's one of its main functions! ;)

Anyway, it sounds like you are more than justified in ranting on this topic, and painfully well qualified to do so. I infer that I am a bit older than you and thus came of age sexually in the preceding and far happier age...the "sexual revolution" brought on by "the pill". There were a few blessed years when many many young women viewed sex as a wonderful form of recreation newly opened to them, rather than as an arena for gender politics and culture wars.

It was almost like dealing with the Cultural Revolution and the Red Guard. Some girls were waving around their copies of "The Feminine Mystique" like Mao's Little Red Book.
That is a wonderfully apt comparison, btw.

Also, as my earlier comments amounted to a discourse, I wanted to test the philosophical validity of my views on the differences between the two societies. Therefore, I reduced the American example to the extreme.
Got it and see what you mean. The only point of my comment was to say that I think that the differences you described, and I echoed, are also valid for conventional (not just extreme/crazy) western male-female relationships.

Sorry. ごめん ごめん.
大丈夫. 大丈夫. No problem.

I am jealous. 羨ましい! I hope that you have as much fun as possible.
Now I am the one that should be ごめん-ing for my bad manners in boasting about the coming trips, but thanks for the good wishes. One of these trips is so short that I'll be lucky to fit in even a bit of fun, but the other will be long enough to allow all the fun my old mind and body can withstand.

-Ww

Now I am the one that should be ごめん-ing for my bad manners in boasting about the coming trips, but thanks for the good wishes. One of these trips is so short that I'll be lucky to fit in even a bit of fun, but the other will be long enough to allow all the fun my old mind and body can withstand.
I didn't sense any boasting. You were merely stating the facts on how you were looking forward to your upcoming trips to Japan. That's totally cool. Have fun! :)