Best Restaurants in Westchester County

I moved out of the City recently and have been looking for good restaurants. Haven't been all that successful yet although I did like Zitoune, a Morrocan place in Mamaroneck.

It obviously isn't Westchester County, but there's a restaurant in Piermont (Rockland County) called Javier's (or maybe Xavier's), which I believe originated in Westchester County -- maybe Yonkers or something -- that people seem to like.

Anybody been?

To me -- a hardbitten New York City loyalist who's never eaten there -- it looks like the kind of place people like cuz it's almost good enough to be in the City, but it's located outside. But maybe some less snobby person than me can chime in with an informed opinion.

Last edited:
It obviously isn't Westchester County, but there's a restaurant in Piermont (Rockland County) called Javier's (or maybe Xavier's), which I believe originated in Westchester County -- maybe Yonkers or something -- that people seem to like.

Anybody been?

To me -- a hardbitten New York City loyalist who's never eaten there -- it looks like the kind of place people like cuz it's almost good enough to be in the City, but it's located outside. But maybe some less snobby person than me can chime in with an informed opinion.
Haven't been to Xavier's, but have been to his other place in Congers, Restaurant X. Very, very good. Heard Xavier's is even better. I believe, not exactly sure, that they do not take credit cards and are a bit pricey.

Perhaps this thread should be re-titled Westchester/Rockland.

To me -- a hardbitten New York City loyalist who's never eaten there -- it looks like the kind of place people like cuz it's almost good enough to be in the City, but it's located outside. But maybe some less snobby person than me can chime in with an informed opinion.[/QUOTE]

This has been my feeling with every recommended restaurant I have gone to in Westchester. Fortunately the Bronx is close for Italian and Flushing is not that far for Chinese/Thai. I did have a very good Indian meal in New Rochelle this weekend, a place called Coromandel. I was with Indians though so they may serve the "gringos" differently.

Xaviers is an outstanding fine restaurant(formal) with only about 15 tables. The chef owns a slighly more causual restuarant with much more seating in Yonkers called X2O on the water. Food is just as good. Plus you have great views of the 2 bridges.

Q Barbecue

There is a barbecue restaurant in downtown Port Chester, NY which is called Q Authentic Barbecue which is pretty good. Here is the menu:

http://www.qrestaurantbar.com/images/Q_Menu.pdf

If you guys can post links/menus it is very helpful to the reader.

I ate a Q once and got the two meat combo (pulled pork and Texas beef brisket were my choices). My sides were mac and cheese and cole slaw. It was all good. I think they have hot sauce at every table if I recall correctly.

Tried Q Barbecue on Saturday. Had the St Louis style ribs with collard greens and corn. I was surprised at how good it was. Thanks for the suggestion doctorbeaver.
Portchester looks like a good spot for restaurants.