Best Mexican in NYC

El Jarro
45-02 48th Ave
Sunnyside, Queens

Always ask for the specials, which change every day. Scallop ceviche is excellent, the mole is good if you like it on the sweet side. The difference between El Jarro and every other place around there is that the chef, Victor, has some formal culinary training.

It's insanely cheap. Almost shameful to pay that little for that quality food.

justlooking said:
Tulcinga del Valle, one block south.
I've never been, but heard it's good. There's a place on 104th and Lexington one block from the subway that is packed all the time. West side of the street. The word has gotten out and people from the UES flock up there. Can't think of the name.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Nice work on the thread, Wooly. Ask and ye shall receive, huh?

Anyway, I love the former Rincon Azteca on Greenpoint Avenue between
47th Street and Queens Blvd. Great tacos...bunyon especially loved the shrimp taco when we went there last. I believe the place is now called Restaurante Mexicano. Doesn't matter, food still rocks.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
There are a few more places that I'd like to review and add. One is in Astoria on Broadway...all the way down by the river. Got to get the name and the address. Great food, atmosphere is a 1 out of 10 though. A mexican specialty food grocery that serves hot food.

Gavy

Last edited:
Lascivious said:
Gonzales on Broadway near Houston is always busy on weekends. The food was good 10 years ago, but I don't know now since they made it more trendy.
I thought the food sucked ten years ago and from what I've seen recently (I wouldn't dare order it now), it's exceeding expectations as to suckiness.

It's also filthy. Have you seen the kitchen and bathrooms in there? Ewwww.

OTOH, the place does get very positive reviews by yours truly as far as a pickup spot goes in the 'regular' places thread.

Last edited:
gavycrav said:
There are a few more places that I'd like to review and add. One is in Astoria on Broadway...all the way down by the river. Got to get the name and the address. Great food, atmosphere is a 1 out of 10 though. A mexican specialty food grocery that serves hot food.

Gavy
None of the good Mexican places have any atmosphere at all. El Jarro is just a few tables thrown together and a television set. It's byob.

If you want some place to bring a date to, go to Rosa Mexicana and overpay for their generally bad food (some dishes on the menu are admittedly good there, esp. the appetizers).

gavycrav said:
Anyway, I love the former Rincon Azteca on Greenpoint Avenue between
47th Street and Queens Blvd. Great tacos...bunyon especially loved the shrimp taco when we went there last.
Gavy
Ah...I had the shrimp soup in there awhile back. Sopa de camarones. It was delicious.

Taqueria Coatzingo on Roosevelt, which I'm sure you know, is also very good. It's probably my second favorite place. Again, don't forget to ask for the daily specials or look at the signs, which are sometimes hard to spot. The waitresses in there are kind of gruff and don't always tell you.

Now that I think of it I havent been out for Mexican in a while. But I do recall having some good food at 5 burros in Forest Hills. Can anyone compare one of the other ones mentioned to that?

I still like Zarela, on Second Ave. and 51st Street in Manhattan. Some of the dishes on her menu remind me of food I ate in Oaxaca on a trip there several years ago (especially her various moles). I also like her first cookbook, where she documented recipes from many of the cooks from that region. The New York Times sort of dissed her a few months ago, re-reviewing her restaurant and her son's new restaurant in Tribeca in a double review (they gave her son's place a better rating). But the Tribeca restaurant is even less authentically Mexican than Zarela. There's another place in Zarela's neighborhood that opened a few years ago called Poblano, on 50th between Third and Second Aves (Smith & Wolensky's block) which is quite good, but not in the same league. They serve excellent soft tacos, and their sea food isn't bad.