Best Italian Restaurant in NYC (inspired by the "Italian Deli" thread)

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
When you think about it, why presume that gangsters have good taste in food?

I mean, maybe they do, maybe they don't: why do you trust where they go more than we trust where bankers or garbagemen or anyone else does?
Based on my limited experience, do not trust their taste in food. One of my clients is ex-mafia, and he takes me to these gawdawful restaurants. Seriously, among the worst meals I've had in this city. One time, I suggested a highly-regarded Italian place that I wanted to try, and he turned up his nose because they didn't serve the kind of food he is used to.

Then later, he complained that the prosciutto at the crap place wasn't so good.

Italian Food

I grew up in N.Y.C.'S Little Italy and the food there was always heavy Neopolitan with tons of garlic. Every time we went out to dinner with a "Big Shot" the food was always so-so.
Try Greenwich Village fellas, Bar Pitti 268 6th Ave. Light Tuscany, reasonably priced, CASH ONLY! Marinella's corner of Carmine and Bedford St's. Again, reasonable and good fish!
He takes credit cards. The best is "Peasants" on Elizabeth Street between Spring and Prince Streets. It is fucking pricey but delicious! The owner is one of the original Chefs at Il Cortile on Mulberry St. They have a wood burning oven! Enjoy!

Many years ago, I went to Angeko's, President Reagan had dinner there, WHen you walked in there was a plaque commemorating his visit. When I got the menu, you could order the same special menu he had. I had to go to the bathroom and thought there would be a plaque on the urinal. I still have an ashtray from the place.

As far as Abbracciamento's is concerned. I used to see Geraldine Ferraro's family in there, One of the better restaurants long gone from Forest Hills was La Stella, owned by the Talierco brothers. I think they moved to Great Neck.

Which restaraunt in the city has the best fried calamari?
Maybe this should be a separate thread? Fried calamari is available in many places other than italian restaurants.

But, if your inquiry is limited to Italian restaurants - the best I have had (mant times) has been at Carmine's - the little, independent place down in the Seaport area that is not affiliated the other Carmine's like the one on 44th(?). Very lightly breaded so not heavy with oil and without a heavy coating it does not have to be cooked so much that the calamari become rubbery.

Alot of these dago's don't really understand italian food. Most of your typical staten island guineas are inbred, and their whore moolinyan mothers raised them on ronzoni, and supermarket tomato's. Frank sinatra is a good example of this. When he went to italy, all his meals were cooked for him by his negro valet. It was basic canned tomato's and cheap dried spagehtti like his mother raised him on.

Any good Italian joint worth anything wouldn't have fried calamari on it's menu cause it's not really an Italian dish. Sort of like trying to find Chow Mein in a good Chinese place.

Alot of these dago's don't really understand italian food. Most of your typical staten island guineas are inbred, and their whore moolinyan mothers raised them on ronzoni, and supermarket tomato's. Frank sinatra is a good example of this. When he went to italy, all his meals were cooked for him by his negro valet. It was basic canned tomato's and cheap dried spagehtti like his mother raised him on.

People without the ability to read between the lines of your posts would never understand that you're absolutely right..... The part about SI dago's with their canned tomatos and crappy pasta anyway. And now their kids are growing tails from living on that cheap ass bio hazard property they bought next to the landfills.