backing up my data

There is a veritable shit ton of of online backup providers. Just google it. Most of them are around the same price. The biggest issue however is the restore speed. If (when?) your drive crashes, it may take a while to get your data back in useful form. Unless you are worried about something very catastrophic it may be easier and cheaper buying an external hard drive or a NAS device for your home network. You can purchase 500gb of storage and the software to run it for a couple hundred bucks.

Now as a direct answer to your question, if you have multiple PC's you can use logmein Backup to backup between them for <50$ per month. It works very well.

Q

You can easily catch a sale on 500GB external hard drives for under $100 so why mess with this stuff? I paid $94 delivered from Dell six months ago and Staples HAD a sale today for $87.

Bestbuy has the Maxtor 500gb for $129 this week and I also seen one of the other major electronic stores have the seagate 500gb for the same. Both are owned by the same company and I would not rely soley on this for a backup. Keep one copy on DVD or disc as I just had one of my seagate 500's go down and lost 40 gb of data. Seagates warranty only covers replacement of your drive and is not responsible for the lost data. Ohh if you would like seagate will try and recover the data tru there data recovery service for a fee. Now do you really want to share your personal data with a stranger ?

Archiving versus Backup

You can buy a drive and make a backup of your stuff...and if the last time you saved your files is what you want to recover then fine. But if you accidentally screwed up a file (deleted a portion of a spreadsheet for example but didn't realize this before you did your last backup) then you would need archiving so you could recall how your file was on a particular day, e.g., one day ago, five days ago, etc.

I use an online backup solution that has archiving, Iron Mountain's Connected Backup (http://backup.ironmountain.com/). It isn't cheap but I have found it very dependable over the years.

anyone have experience with this site for backing up your PC? It's only $50/year. Other recommendations welcome. Most important for me is backing up my MS Outlook.

www.carbonite.com
Let's see, if your computer is so badly screwed up that you can't get to windows, let alone the Internet, how can you use an on-line back site to rescue and restore your computer's hard drive?

It seems to me that the safest way to go is to use an external hard drive, with back-up software. Like Acronis True Image. Just be sure to make an Emergency Rescue Disk, so if your entire computer is so fucked up that you can't even boot up windows, you will be able to boot up with your rescue disk (Make sure that your external hard drive with the disk image is plugged into a USB port) and restore the your disk image. If you have windows Vista, you won't have to re-activate it, despite what you might have heard.