Are the new rules in the MLB to speed up the game working?

It seems the big change happened in the eighties when the total game time started creeping up over the two-and-a-half hour mark. And then in the nineties it started to approach the three hour mark until it passed that in this decade. So far, the new plan doesn't seem to be working.
Truthfully, I don't see how ten minutes here or there is going to make much difference. But if you contrast it with those times in the eighties, then yeah it's a big deal. I just don't see us ever getting back to that level no matter what the do. Especially with Play Under Review now.

I don't even know why MLB is so worried about this. Baseball is unlike any other sport as far as pace of play. Personally I like the slow laid-back speed of the game. I liken it to the time one spends leisurely in foreplay. If you like the fast pace of basketball/hockey/football, then maybe you are a wham-bam-thank you mam guy. Me, I'm a buildup to the moment foreplay guy, so baseball and the resulting tease just appeals to me.

I really haven't noticed any significant change ..... but I do like the limit on the visits to the mound. The players nowadays step out of the box too much and the pitchers are too slow to deliver their pitch. Sonny Gray yesterday decided to change his pace from slow as a snail to get the ball and throw the ball - result was a game of about 2 hours and 30 minutes. I really don't mind how long a game takes ... but the stepping out of the box and slow pitching drives me nuts.

I really haven't noticed any significant change ..... but I do like the limit on the visits to the mound. The players nowadays step out of the box too much and the pitchers are too slow to deliver their pitch. Sonny Gray yesterday decided to change his pace from slow as a snail to get the ball and throw the ball - result was a game of about 2 hours and 30 minutes. I really don't mind how long a game takes ... but the stepping out of the box and slow pitching drives me nuts.
Whatever sonny gray did differently.
It worked yesterday.

I’m a fan of the intentional walk rule as a JV coach it’s something that was implemented in the amateur level long ago. Not that it saves much time just feel it is better than lobbing four pitches.

Mound visit rule is also good, kind of like time out rules in other sports. I like the laid back pace of baseball, it’s my fav sport but taking away certain things that drag the game out a bit can’t hurt.

Agreed Wiggley. I know many people who believe it is just the pitcher slowing the game down but many times it’s just as much the batters slowing down the pace as the pitchers. Should only be allowed to exit the batters box on a called time out unless you swing the bat. I feel if you take a ball or a strike you should have to stay in the box waiting for next pitch.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
As much as I loved the guy Derek Jeter was the absolute worst at that. He certainly wasn't alone but I guess because I saw so much of him it was more noticeable . Big Papi too.
I know there is a "clock" on the pitchers but recently in a game even the commentators were talking about some guy taking 30-35 seconds between every pitch.....YEEESH.

Mr. Wiggley

This rule may have been eliminated but at one time the hitter had to ask the umpire for a timeout before they stepped out of the box, and the umpire had to grant it. That hasn't happened in years and could you imagine an umpire telling Jeter, Papi, Trout, etc that they had to stay in the box? They would be umpiring Little League in a month.

I get that they step out to tighten their batting gloves but how much looser could they really be if all you did was hold the bat on your shoulder? No swing, no check swing, no bunt? You don’t need to tighten your gloves...but whatever, that “tradition” seems to just be part of the game now.

I love Bernie Williams but he stepped out a lot. Nomar Garciappara was a complete friggin joke. NOt to mention .... god I can't remember his name. I think he was on Cleveland and his nickname was the human rain delay. MIKE HARGORVE! I had to look it up. But it wasn't so bad because he was the rare exception. Nowadays everybody steps out. What has slowed down the game is the stepping out of the box and the slow pace of the pitching. Looking in, shaking off ... etc. Watch old games ... they got the ball they threw the ball.

I love Bernie Williams but he stepped out a lot. Nomar Garciappara was a complete friggin joke. NOt to mention .... god I can't remember his name. I think he was on Cleveland and his nickname was the human rain delay. MIKE HARGORVE! I had to look it up. But it wasn't so bad because he was the rare exception. Nowadays everybody steps out. What has slowed down the game is the stepping out of the box and the slow pace of the pitching. Looking in, shaking off ... etc. Watch old games ... they got the ball they threw the ball.
The game moves very slow. Kids don't like to watch it on tv. They say its boring and slow paced.

When mine were small they played tee ball and some little league but gave it up for soccer.

Instant replay dosent help with the pace of the game either. Its killing football.

Not alot of people want or can commit 3-4 hours to watch a game.

Mr. Wiggley

LI I don’t know if you go back to Fritz Peterson but even though the Yankees sucked the games were great cause he always seemed to try to finish within 2 hours. Boy how times have changed.
Slick I just gave up my football tickets after 30+ years cause going to a game is now an 8-10 hour day. Insane!!!

LI I don’t know if you go back to Fritz Peterson but even though the Yankees sucked the games were great cause he always seemed to try to finish within 2 hours. Boy how times have changed.
Slick I just gave up my football tickets after 30+ years cause going to a game is now an 8-10 hour day. Insane!!!
Haven't been to a game since the 80s.
I'd rather watch at home.