Are CDs going the way of vinyl now that we have Ipods?

Think of this: kiosks in malls or wherever where rather than buy a CD, you plug in your device and "load" it. Takes care of that problem and lowers real estate, personell, stocking, float, and lots of other costs by like 99%. And as such you could have them like every 2 blocks (think of all the atms not in banks now).

UG Staff said:
I haven't looked into this, I'm just shooting from the hip, but..............

I would think that if cd's go away and everything is sold over the internet or whatever downloading methodology that if would in fact be EXTREMELY cheap to offer higher quality "recordings" since all taht would be necessary would be to take the master (which I assume, based on knowing musicians, producers, etc. would get made at SOTA or near that no matter how "dumbed down" what was sold to the GP was) and digitally encode it in all the different formats; the cost of that should be MINOR, since the formats would needs to get "pressed" into anything.
This will happen when the record companies cut out the middlemen and let you download the stuff directly from their servers. It will take a long time, but eventually that will happen.