Anyone Played Around With "Second Life"?

Major marketers have jumped on the Second Life bandwagon, using it for product placement and brand recognition strategies. But I wonder if any providers have tried to market themselves using an Avatar?

It's virtual community online in which you create a character, represented by an Avatar, and interact with other characters. You can buy currency that can be used online, allowing people to build virtual businesses.

To date it's been used to do everything from promoting music, to hawking virtual products, to selling real products, to creating a wide variety of online communities, including self-help groups and support groups. And, yes, you can have "virtual sex" online, too. It's a little like "Sim City," (if you're familiar with that) only more sophisticated.

I used to be majorly addicted to the Sims - I had all the expansion packs that were available at the time - Sims Hot Date, Sims Pets, Sims House Party, etc. One day I actually sat down and figured out how much time I was spending on all that crap and was like, "holy shit. I'm such a fucking loser." That was the end of my fascination with a "second life".

My boyfriend has been playing a very popular online game called World of Warcraft for about a year now, which is similar to the Sims in theory except that your character interacts with other people's characters in an online world, and that world operates on real time. I can't even believe how huge this type of thing is with the nerd set.

One day I actually sat down and figured out how much time I was spending on all that crap and was like, "holy shit. I'm such a fucking loser." That was the end of my fascination with a "second life".
Now you just spend all your time on UG. :)

I can't remember what they were called (it was some acronym), but in the 1990s, there were these fantasy text-based games on the Web in which you could assume a character and interact with other players online. So the germ of the idea has been around for quite a while. The difference with Second Life is that it's gone mainstream. And, of course, with the inclusion of graphics and more sophisticated software, Second Life's capabilities are a vast upgrade from these older, cruder games.

The thing about UG is that once I'm done contributing to whatever threads I'm interested in, I can just move on to something else and check back later. It's very different than a game that's constantly sucking you in with action.

Now you just spend all your time on UG. :)

I can't remember what they were called (it was some acronym), but in the 1990s, there were these fantasy text-based games on the Web in which you could assume a character and interact with other players online. So the germ of the idea has been around for quite a while. The difference with Second Life is that it's gone mainstream. And, of course, with the inclusion of graphics and more sophisticated software, Second Life's capabilities are a vast upgrade from these older, cruder games.
I vaguely remember this, I think it was called Mudd. World of Warcrack is in a league of its own.

The thing about UG is that once I'm done contributing to whatever threads I'm interested in, I can just move on to something else and check back later. It's very different than a game that's constantly sucking you in with action.
O course, it all depends on your level of obsession. But I know exactly what you mean.

Have played in Second Life

Second Life is considered to be a "Massive Multiplayer Role Play Game" or MMRPG. There are many others such as War * Craft, etc. But what makes this one a bit different is it's open ended nature. You don't play Second Life (SL) to win or lose. You play it to live out literally a second life. Everyone is there for different reasons but here are a few main ones:

*The design code for the game is open to tinkering. So you can literally make your own world. You can buy a plot of virtual land and then design it as you wish. For example; you could create a beach property and put a virtual house on it. Half the fun is designing and building it.

*Maybe you want to be a vampire or a werewolf. There are locations within SL where you can play that character. Or maybe you want to play the victim. BDSM is a big part of SL. Virtual subs are imprisoned in virtual dungeons by virtual doms.

* Think of something....anything! and then type it into the search box. Chances are you will find it in SL. Every weird or crazy fetish you can think of is represented in SL.

* As for sex, well 99% of it is virtual sex. And it is quite detailed and explicted. I have no way of knowing how many on line relationships become in person ones. But I have heard of it happening.

* Could real world providers advertise themselves in SL? It's possible. I haven't looked for it, but it may be out there. The vast majority of what I've seen are real life (RL) women meeting SL players with their avatars and then offering to link up via video and doing cam to cam stuff. I've also seem RL women offer to sell naked photos of themselves via SL.

My opinion....It's probably there, but probably not worth the effort. I would say about half the players in SL are using free accounts and are very cheap.

...and if you are wondering....under*aged players are kept out of adult areas of SL by requiring age verification. (credit card, sign up for an account, etc)

I think SL is a great way to interact with person literally all over the world. Players live in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, even in Africa. The entire virtual world is designed and maintained by the players themselves. They have created places like ancient Rome, Modern Paris, an Elven Forest, an underwater mermaid lagoon. Not everyone is in SL for virtual sex, but there is a lot of it going on.

Yes, there are virtual providers and yes they can make good money. (They call it Lindens) Some work in virtual whorehouses, some out of their own virtual homes. There are gentlemen's clubs, pole dances, lap dances...all virtual of course.

Anyway...you get the idea.

@ImGeiste - Thanks for that post. What you say is really interesting and you obvious have quite a bit of experience. I'd love if you could relate an actual encounter that you've had on Second Life, to give readers here an idea of what it's actually like to participate.

@ImGeiste - Thanks for that post. What you say is really interesting and you obvious have quite a bit of experience. I'd love if you could relate an actual encounter that you've had on Second Life, to give readers here an idea of what it's actually like to participate.
You are welcome.

When I have a bit more time to type something up I will. When you ask for the description of an encounter, anything in particular? Meeting other players? Having a virtual sexual encounter? I've been playing on and off for about three years in Second Life, so I've tried just about everything.

I tried SL for a while, a couple years back, but couldn't really get into it. Moving around seemed a bit awkward... but I am not a "gamer"... it may appeal to those who are into the Wii, Xbox 360, and the like.

Ok, assuming you meant virtual sexual encounter, here it goes....

Obviously since there is no physical contact, what players are doing in SL is giving each other a "mind fuck". How enjoyable it is depends on how prepared you are.

When you first get into Second Life your avatar is fairly limited. You receive a basic skin, clothes and no sexual parts. So if you are willing to take the time and invest some money (maybe $20 at most) you can go virtual shopping and purchase a better looking avatar skin, nice virtual clothes and a set of sexual equipment. (animated penis for males and vaginas for females) If you ever wondered what it would be like to be a female, now is your chance. You can even get a virtual boob job and get yourself a huge bust line. (boobs that grow and shrink as well as drip/spray milk)

Ok, so you've purchased a hot looking male avatar skin, you've purchased cool clothes & shoes/boots and you've even purchased the best available penis that grows into an erection and cums on command. So where do I go to hook up with some hot looking virtual women? Hold on! Once you find your hot tail, where are you going to take her?

Planning ahead, you search Second life for a location with a nice private room equiped with a "sex bed" complete with sexual animations for you to use. mmmm...but most of those freebie sex beds are in public places where others might come by and see you. Better yet, you decide to rent your own virtual place which might be a castle, an apartment or whatever you like for your sexual lair. You even go out and purchase the best sex bed that money can buy complete with several dozen poses for you to use with your partner. (Poses like hug, kiss, eat her, suck him, doggy, split her, spank her, etc.) So now you have a place to take her, but where do you find a willing player?

Second Life is full of clubs, dance halls, bars, fetish sites, bdsm dungeons, etc where you can find other players of the opposite sex that have the same ideas you have. So....you do a search and find a place that looks promising. You teleport to the location and walk in...

Well depending on what time of the day you decide to begin your hunt, you may find Second Life a lonely place. Weekday nights are quiet, but Fridays and Saturday are usually busy. (gee, just like real life!) So you do a search on events in SL and discover any number of virtual parties going on. You pick one and teleport to it.

You manuever your handsome avatar into the dance hall and gawk at all the hot sexy looking avatars in the room. Really, you have to see it to believe it. Everyone in SL looks hot and sexy. It's hard to find a plain, over weight or ugly looking avatar. So finding some nice eye candy is not going to be hard at all. So now you get your avatar dancing on the virtual dance floor and start checking out all the lovely gals.

Using your computer mouse, you can click on other players avatars and check out their profiles. This is extremely helpful information. Smart players will type up a very detailed description of who they are, what they like and what their limits are. This saves you a lot of wasted time going after someone who is only there to do some virtual dancing and not virtual sex. You can eliminate those players who don't speak your language (there are a lot of german, french, japanese players in SL), whose who have nothing in their profile (probably new, a "noobie"), whose who have a fetish or kink that doesn't appeal to you (things like scat, torture, rape, vore, etc.) or players who don't want to have sex with males. (There seems to be a lot of lesbians in SL or maybe they are males who are playing female avatars)

After dancing around a bit, you read one female profile that really catches your interest. So you contact her by sending an Individual Message (IM) to her. Just like real life, you will have to have some communication skills to get her interested and keep talking to you. But just like real life, you strike out. not to fear, you decide a virtual hooker is the way to do.

So you do a search and find a location that has a virtual red light district. You teleport there and immediately spot several hot looking female avatars who are obviously selling their sexual wares. Unlike the club scene, these lovely ladies greet you immediately. You will probably receive severals IMs at once offering to give you what you want. (Hi honey, looking for a BJ? Tammy will treat you real good!!) You smile to yourself as you pick out the female avatar that you find the most attractive and engages you with a conversation that really gets you excited.

Now it's just a matter of negotiation. Do you want a half hour, hour? One gal, two? How much do you have honey? Your place or mine? (You get the idea) Finally, you settle on the time and what you want. She teleports you to her own secluded place. Perhaps a treehouse in a virtual forest with a huge virtual bed sitting high up in the branches. A well prepared "hostess" will do some sexy dancing for you to get you in the mood. Then slowly perform a virtual strip. After that you hop into her big bed and you begin working your way through a series of sexual poses that twist and turn your avatars in all manner of positions.

Then you discover is not so easy to give yourself a handjob with one hand while the other types your responses. Hopefully she will do most of the talking and let you watch as she moves both her own and your avatar into different positions. Keeping an eye on the clock, you remember to have your virtual penis cum as you climax in SL (and maybe RL as well.)

Your avatar sprays a long jet of virtual cum and you sit back to enjoy the after glow. After a little small talk, your lady friend quickly exits. You decide to stick around and have your avatar pull out a virtual cigarette to cap off the encounter.

Maybe next time you can find a female avatar who doesn't do it for the money. So you put your virtual clothes back on and head out to another SL party and continue your virtual beaver hunt.......

Well, that is my tongue-in-cheek contribution. It's a fairly generic encounter, but fits what most players would encounter if you decide to try out Second Life.

@ImGeiste - Thanks for taking the time to write that description. For many of us who haven't tried Second Life, I think it gives a pretty solid introduction into the scene.

@ImGeiste - Thanks for taking the time to write that description. For many of us who haven't tried Second Life, I think it gives a pretty solid introduction into the scene.
Playing SL is not for everyone. But it has several advantages. You can't catch a social disease. You can go on line anytime. You don't have to travel or rent a hotel room. It's much cheaper than real life mongering. And it's unlikely your wife would divorce you for virtual cheating. That is, assuming it stays virtual and doesn't become real.

Still, there is nothing that can replace real life sex. You can't touch the person. You can't feel the heat of their body. You can't smell the smells of sex........

well at least not for now. Maybe in 50-100 years we will have sexbots.

;)