Any recommendations for a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica

Heading down with some friends over the Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone here been there recently? Could you please give us some advice on where to find some action, and be safe at the same time. Should we stick to Montego Bay or travel elsewhere?

Some of my friends claimed that Jamica has a serious security concern specially outside the big resorts. Specially if you are white, blond and blue eyed... a ruinning target. My friends said that there were uzi gun trotting security even on the private resort beach to keep local away from the tourists.

So I am not sure how you may be able to monger if things are that bad, I haven't been keeping, I know that there is a very large East Indian population out there so I maybe able to blend in... but I am not think about jamaica as of yet.

Also the hurricane season is approaching... so look out.

Hate to spoil you vacation to Jamaica but......

You should realise that AIDS and being HIV+ is a major problem in the English speaking Caribbean! I don't have the statistics for Jamaica, but nearby Haiti is the AIDS center of North AMerica(and you always thought it was gay San Fransico or New York City). In Haiti it is estimated that 10% of the population is HIV+ or has full blown AIDS! The figure for Jamaica is probably in the 5% - 8% figure. Due to tourism, it is virtually impossible to conduct a realitic model for AIDS in Jamaica! In short, enjoy, but be careful!!!

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Remember back when little was known about AIDS and it was actually thought being Haitian was part of the disease (Old joke: "What's the toughest part about getting AIDS? Convincing your parents that you're Haitian.)

iamadirs said:
Heading down with some friends over the Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone here been there recently? Could you please give us some advice on where to find some action, and be safe at the same time. Should we stick to Montego Bay or travel elsewhere?
If you are wise, you would change your destination to Costa Rica.

Although Jamacian women are sex freaks,( first hand knowledge) and there is the Ganga factor, ( also first hand knowledge)with statistics like that I would pass as well