Any opera lovers here?

The best thing about Ernest Newman is that his name isn't Ernest Newman.

His real name is some typical English twit name.

He was (I think) a Liverpool banker who tried to pass as German when he wrote about opera.

Originally posted by rajah
"Ernest Newman" made it sound like he was really Herr Doktor Professor Ernst Neumann, ein grosser Musikologist.
Oh, well, when you put it that way...

A grocer-musicologist: interesting hybrid...

;-)

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever gotten it on at the met?
Those red velvet walls make me quite horny. ironically, i usually go by myself. although i did finger this chicks asshole, up in the balcony last year, during carmen....

Saw it last night. Damn it, though. I was late for curtain, and had to watch the first act on closed circuit in their lecture hall. I had never seen or heard the music. Didn't even know the story before I went. It was good, but not great.

Yeah, I've had that happen. Real bummer, specially considering what a ticket costs now.

I have never heard but bits and pieces of the music (radio). Not enough to have any real feeling for it.

Tell us more. How was the production? The singing? A lively production or a draggy one? Consistent or uneven? Who was conducting? (Not Jimmy as I recall, or was he?)

Omigod, and that first act is something like an hour and a half, isn't it?

(I once was like five minutes late for Sigfried, and I had to spend like two years in the TV lounge.)

Originally posted by justlooking
Omigod, and that first act is something like an hour and a half, isn't it?

(I once was like five minutes late for Siegfried, and I had to spend like two years in the TV lounge.)
Count your blessings it wasn't Götterdämmerung. (First act longer than the whole of Rigoletto, I believe.)