Android based phones on Verizon

A brief techie/nerd break break from the mongering:

Good news about verizon wireless finally taking the initiative and partnering with both Google & Motorola to develop Android smart phones for their network. I saw the sneak peek of the phone on http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...otos-verizons-second-motorola-android-device/. Looks good, in fact it gave me a nerd-chubby. I have the verzion HTC touch pro because I NEED a real keypad and prefer to work in a Windows mobile environment. Sadly the high cost of this phone plus the painstaking lag it has everytime I open 2 apps is friggin killing me. I really like Google's Android OS & I hope it doesn't turn out to be the Linux of the phone world. I hope the closet nerds in here will come out and chat about this.

~Pudgy

Pudgy --
dont get android to avoid lag time.... the lag is so bad that you sometimes cant even answer a call before it goes to voicemail.

if you need a phone for buisness wouldnt it be nice to know who else was copied on that e-mail you just got, well you cant find out if your running android.

want to have a template e-mail with an attachment? cant do that either.

want to sync the contacts with outlook perfectly back and forth every time without creating multiple entries for the same record.... nope sorry.

want to set up your pop3 email to download attachments automatically so you dont have to wait when you go to open the email. nope....

want to be able to get all of the calandar and contact fields syncronized including catagories? cant do that either.

but..... if you need a level... theres a cool little ap that makes the phone act like a level!!! (not a good one but still)

Ruv ... perhaps they changed or updated the apps & fixed those problem since android 1.6 was released within the last couple of weeks & the new Droid phone from verizon will run Android 2.0.

As for multitasking & application lag, here is an engadget comment thread on the processor & speed in the new Droid.

I am on VZW with a non-smart phone & I have gadget lust for that phone right now. That said, I will need to read reviews of people actually using the email & calendar before I switch to the Droid phone when I get "new every 2" in january.

im running the latest build rc83.

heres another cool feature... want to copy some text out of an email that was sent to you and paste it somewhere else?? sorry... no.

want to charge your phone and listen to headphones at the sametime? impossible (on the g1 anyway).

attach a file to an e-mail thats not a picture? cant do that.

view a pdf? go get WM my friend.

Listen... i dont mean to beat up on android.... its ok as a toy. i just didn't think i was buying a toy. i really need this for my buisness and its clearly not a buisness type of platform. its good for cocktail parties and so forth but not really much else. even with all its faults it still beats the i-phone in my oppinion but again, thats not setup for a buisness guy either.

they may have fixed the lag thing with answering the phone in the latest build... i havnt noticed that fustration in the last few weeks...

i loose cred with my rich clients becuase pressing the green button for 10 seconds doesnt answer the phone in time.

to each his own though... i know how sensitive this topic can be. i myself was once a believer. i really wanted to love it.

if you have a verizon raphael.. try putting in the ssk rom .. the one with win mobile 6.1. but of course first you have to unlock your phone. not too hard.. search around

yeah search on xda developers. raphael cdma section.. get the verizon unlock .. then find the ssk rom website..get a premade rom or get the visual kitchen.. dont go for rhodium interfaces or any of that stuff.. i actually have 6.5.1 on mine now.. runs pretty good.. 6.1 was a bit buggy. they have premade roms on ssk with the basics that will get you running with good speed but i played with the visual kitchen and put in the apps i wanted. ive tried about 8 or 9 roms in the phone. dont forget to install wmwifirouter and internetsharing when youre done.. so you can turn your phone into a wireless router when youre out and about and use your laptop through it.

I'm a slowpoke...

Ruv: Thanks for the update, very disappointed (at VZW) with your android commentary. I was hoping the Motorola Android would be the answer..apparently not & those Verizon tards don't have an friggin clue about the phone's capabilities. I may be forced to the HTC touch pro 2, seems to have more RAM and better processor.

Club: Isn't the Raphael the HTC touchpro? I am running WM6.1. I unlocked the GPS feature so I can use live/bing as a GPS. I know the VZW Touch Pro came with way less RAM than the sprint equivalent (another fooking moronic move by VZW). Did the 6.51 upgrade fix the lagginess with the phone? I really think t's a memory issue.

Again thanks for everyone's response. I am gonna roll into a fetal position & cry into my pillow now.

~Pudgy

Ruv: Thanks for the update, very disappointed (at VZW) with your android commentary. I was hoping the Motorola Android would be the answer..apparently not & those Verizon tards don't have an friggin clue about the phone's capabilities. I may be forced to the HTC touch pro 2, seems to have more RAM and better processor.

Club: Isn't the Raphael the HTC touchpro? I am running WM6.1. I unlocked the GPS feature so I can use live/bing as a GPS. I know the VZW Touch Pro came with way less RAM than the sprint equivalent (another fooking moronic move by VZW). Did the 6.51 upgrade fix the lagginess with the phone? I really think t's a memory issue.

Again thanks for everyone's response. I am gonna roll into a fetal position & cry into my pillow now.

~Pudgy
Don't give up on the Android. See the link below.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...al/has-apple-blown-its-big-chance.aspx?page=2

HTC ERIS for VZW

Ive had my ERIS for 1 month now. While I agree, it is no IPhone killer, It is a great phone. It does everything. Has some great apps. Its easily the best phone Verizon has out on the market.

However, if Verizon ever did get the ok to sell the IPhone, I would probably switch to that without blinking.

view a pdf? go get WM my friend.

Listen... i dont mean to beat up on android.... its ok as a toy. i just didn't think i was buying a toy. i really need this for my buisness and its clearly not a buisness type of platform. its good for cocktail parties and so forth but not really much else. even with all its faults it still beats the i-phone in my oppinion but again, thats not setup for a buisness guy either.

they may have fixed the lag thing with answering the phone in the latest build... i havnt noticed that fustration in the last few weeks...

No offense but you've got to be out of your mind re:WM (windows mobile?). That's such a piece of shit that Microsoft has pretty much conceded the mobile software biz to Apple and Google. The only new "elite" phone running WM is the HTC HD2 (T-Mobile) and NO ONE is buying it. I think Verizon is phasing out all their WM phones as they ride the Android bandwagon.

And those waiting for the iphone to come to VZW... don't fucking wait too long. Verizon is too much like Apple to ever partner up with them. Neither will ever give the consumer or the other the control of these phones. I love verizons service, it's second to none, but that doesn't mean they have to lock those phones and gauge the consumer for every fucking ringtone or wallpaper they download for the VZW store. GSM gives the consumer so much more freedom and choices where CDMA (Verizons network of choice) does not. They are virtually the same in regards to quality. CDMA might be a hair better but to the avg poke there is no difference. While the i-phone is a GSM and can be hacked, unlocked, jail broken etc.... it's still mainly limited to shitty AT&T. There's a shit load of great smart phones in the European and Asian markets that can be hooked up to Tmobile or Sprint but not Verizon. And Verizon was late getting into the smart phone market with the new elite phones (Incredible & Droid X). They should have been there when Tmobile teamed up with Google to release the Nexus and Android 2.0. A few months makes a world of difference. I have the Incredible but I'm also testing out the Samsung S9000 which might be the best phone on the market but I have to run it on Tmobile.

As for Apple.... If they didn't marry AT&T there might never have been an open door for Android to walk thru. Now Apple reaps what it sewed. Fuck em.. let the Apple sycophants wait in the rain for a week to buy a piece of shit (the first release of every i-phone has had serious fucking issues). Google might have ripped off the iphone but it's making leaps in catching up to their technology and soon will pass it by working with other software developer and hardware makers like Microsoft did to Apple (note Adobe and the PC).

If you want a real linux phone go with the nokia n900 it runs debian under the hood and you have root access unlike android. The downside is no one has one with a plan so the phone is like 4 bills. As far as motorola don't buy one I have the cliq which currently runs android 1.5 and so far motorola has promise updates twice and both times failed to deliver, they just want you to buy a phone then they don't care about you anymore.

You absolutely right about Motorola. The issue with them is their motoblur software. And the fact the new versions are being released by google faster than motorola can keep up. They were finally ready to release the motoblur 2.0 or 2.1 and google released froyo (2.2) which takes things to another level. Now motorola has decided not to release A 2.1 and instead will release a froyo version sometime around fall. But if google does another version upgrade you can count on that not being released either. But it's not just motorola... The google Nexus one is their phone, shipped with 2.1 and they are waiting for HTC (who makes the Nexus) to release their version of motoblur called Sense. They were ready to release the Sense 2.1 and then Froyo fucked them up too. But they are a little better than motorola and have released a manual upgrade for froyo (for the tech savy) with an auto update planned any day now.

I have a 4 year-old LG 8100 "dumb phone" that needs to be seriously replaced. I'm on Verizon and would like to stay there. I bought a iPod Touch (3rd gen) last year and have invested a lot into the app store. I've been waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone for a while now and I'm tired of waiting. I was thinking about getting the Incredible, but with the latest rumor about a first quarter 2011 release of a Verizon iPhone, I'm not sure. If Verizon gets the iPhone, hopefully the issues with the reception & proximity sensor will be fixed by that time.

I could wait 6 more months and if there's no Verizon iPhone, get a next gen Android phone & maybe pick up a iPod Touch 4 which will probably have most of the new features as the iPhone 4. It was a lot easier 4 years ago when I got my LG 8100. Back then, if you were a business guy/gal, you got a BB. If you were a teen, you would get a sidekick and for everyone else, a "dumb phone" which wasn't really that dumb.