Alfonson Soriano to the Mets?

And_______

I was listening to Mike and the Mad Dog the other afternoon-during the ride home-and someone was boasting about the Mets Ticket Sales being up over the past 2 weeks. The fact of the matter was quite simple. When the research was done it was for games when they were playing the Yanks and the Astros. I wonder why those sales were up? Could it be A-Rod, Giambi, Clemens, and Pettit?

It looks like Soriano is staying put. He doesn't want to play in the outfield. Since the Mets already have Reyes on second(and they dont want to trade him), it looks like Soriano will be a Ranger this year.

from an article in the Daily News:

But just for the record, here's what a highly placed Mets source said yesterday about these creative rumors: "Why would anyone think we would trade any of our best young players for a guy we'd have only two years of control over?" He did not bother to add the underlying factors - Soriano's refusal to listen to advice, his periodic brain locks and his stated reluctance to move off second base - that deemed him expendable by the Yankees.

Lawyer.I just saw this post.Why would either team do this.

The mets giving up on their first prized blue chip home grown prospect in years.

And the rangers to give up not only soriano,but cordero .who is probably a better closer then looper and kevin mench a 320 hitter last year.

reyes is good.But no way near that good to get one of the top 10 players in baseball.Plus a closer and an outfielder.

Why in the world would either team do that.Makes no sense on both sides.Plus they can tie reyes up for what 4-5 years at a relatively low salary and soriano is makign semi big bucks and is due to be signed long term at even higher

Originally posted by larry1017

reyes is good.But no way near that good to get one of the top 10 players in baseball.

Spoken like a Yankee fan.

Soriano's good. Don't put him in the HOF yet.

He's not even in the top ten in the AL.

That trade in the first post was never really a possibility. A striahgt up Reyes for Soriano deal was talked about, but the Mets (not the Rangers) balked at it.

Soriano is absolutely not one of the ten best players in baseball; I don't know where you came up with that. Defense has to be taken into consideration when you come up with the best players in the game (and outside of Yankee Stadium and the Yanks lineup, I am not so sure he could even be considered as one of the top ten offensive players in baseball). Spoken like a true Yankees fan indeed.

News Flash to Yankees Fans: Every other team in baseball values prospects. Just because you don't and you have been able to get away with it, doesn't mean that they are (near) worthless.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Texas is a perfect play for Soriano to play. The ball jumps out of that park because of the hot weather and the smaller dimensions. Factor in that they will be out of the race by May there will be no pressure on Sori, and with their pitching they normally fall behind early in the game. So what do opposing pitchers do when they have a big lead ? Throw strikes. They don't care if he jacks a solo shot when their up 8 to 1. Also th hitting coach down there, Rudy Jarimillo worked well with A-Rod and got him more balanced to get more power. Hopefuly Sori listens to him. Soriano could be the next Sammy Sosa or the next *Jessi Barfield/Raul Mondesi. He needs to work on his pitch selection.

*Aren't they the same person 15 years apart? Rightfielders for the Blue Jays with cannons for throwing arms, fast enough to play centerfield, and 40 homerun power who were traded to the Yankees. Trouble with both is they couldn't stop swinging at low outside pitches out of the strike zone.

I have said on previous threads that I think Soriano could be the best hitter of his generation, but he needs to learn how to take a walk. Sammy Sosa's transformation into a more patient hitter is not the norm. If Soriano can do what he did, the sky could be the limit for Soriano (on the offensive side anyways), but based on what I have seen of him thus far, I am not so she that he can pull it off. Either way, if I ran a baseball team, I would not touch him with a ten foot pole unless I saw something that suggests that he might be improving in that area (and possibly only in the AL where he could DH).

Spazie:

For the most part I do tend to agree with your statements about Alfonso. He could be one of the best hitters in baseball if he were far more patient. The big hope with him-is that he has not be in the majors all that long-and may settle in a bit, and be more patient. Actually, he may be far better off in a place such as Texas, with less pressure on him.

Spaz.I based soriano being in the top 10 players.On the fact that I had 2 of my fantasy baseball drafts and he hasnt lasted past the number 5 pick.I do agree that he has to become patient wholeheartedly.yes I am a yankee fan this is true.but I wasnt crazy about soriano in the first place.I used to scream at the tv as he swung at balls at his eyes.

Basing someone's place as a top player in the league by their value in fantasy baseball is very problematic. There are too many factors that have to be taken into consideration that have nothing to do with how good the player is such as position (Soriano is great for a 2B, but would just be above average as an OF), the lineup they play in, the stadium that they call home, and then other factors also depending on the type of league you play in. For instance, the league I play in every year has stiff (quite stiff) penalties for strikeouts, errors, etc. and rewards for double plays, etc. Its similar to how in my league middle relievers are rewarded by the "hold" rule, where most other leagues don't, making middle relievers absolutely worthless. In the end, fantasy baseball value just does not translate to actual value all that well.

Spaz,

I think if you at the numbers that Soriano has put on the Board over the course of the past two regular seasons you will discover that they are significantly above average regardless of what position he played (2nd base, outfield, or catcher for that matter). The homer total, stolen bases, rbi's, etc. were high up in comparison to people at all positions. He also was high up in the area of strike outs. Yes, he needs to stop chasing pitches out of the strike zone-but his numbers are still very, very good offensively.

Last edited:
I am not disputing this, but you have to admit that those numbers at 2B is far higher than average than they are for an outfielder. Outfield is a power position, where 2B is probably the position with the least power (with the possible exception of catcher). He is absolutely right up there or homers and stolen bases. I don't care much about the RBI's because that is very much a reflection on the lineup he was in. But you have to factor in his fielding when you consider the best players in the game. He had the most errors for starting 2B's in the league last year. He also had the worst fielding percentage of starting 2B's in the league. He is still an excellent player (offensively at least), but not one of the ten best (at least I clearly do not think so).

Spaz-

Again, I tend to agree with much of what you wrote about the issue. We actually think far more closely then you may believe. However, a few things to ponder:
-I agree that 2B is not usually a power position
-I tend to think that even if he was an outfielder-his numbers in the power areas are still very good (probably in the Top 7 to 10 outfielders)
-His RBI Production came as a leadoff-number2-and number 8 or 9 hitter. It is not like he was in the 3, 4, or 5 spot most of the time.
-I do not believe that I ever stated that I would consider him with the best players in the game (by that I mean the Top 4 to 7 players). That is not at the moment-or over the past couple of years. He is not a Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriquez, etc.
-As for the Top 10 in offense, he might be close.
-And lets not forget about his speed on the base paths.

Last edited:
I know you didn't say that about Soriano, the top ten thing was more of a response to Larry. I understand that Soriano did not bat in the middle of the order, but he still was in the Yankees lineup. When you are batting in a lineup that he was in, I don't really care where in the lineup he hit. He was protected by top notch hitters behind him in the order and was still hitting with runners on base plenty. Hitting in the top or bottom of the Yankees lineup is still a better place to be than the middle of the Brewers order for example.

I am not going to argue about Soriano anymore. We all agree (I think) that:

A) Soriano is a terrific player offensively
B) Soriano is a flawed player
C) Soriano has some work to do if he is going to both maintain the numbers he has alreayd put up for an extended period of time and prove that he can take a pitch

I agree that Soriano does have some flaws. I still think that it was a mistake for the Mets not to pursue him more aggresively. If he refuses to play the outfield, then it makes no sense for the Mets to go after him. If they were able to convince him to move to the outfield, then it is a no-brainer to go out and get him. As I said before, I would have traded Reyes for Soriano. I can understand the argument on why this trade shouldnt happen, but I think it makes sense for both sides. The Rangers are still looking to shed payroll, thus taking on Reyes contract is exactly what they need. The Mets need to wake up an anemic offense and by adding Soriano would surely do that. The Mets have said that they will add payroll as long as they think the player would benefit them. I think Soriano would be a huge upgrade to the 2 ex-yankee rejects that they have in right field. Even forgetting about Reyes, if the Rangers were willing to take Kazmir(sp?) for Soriano I think the Mets should do it. With all of Soriano's faults he has proved he can hit in New York.

Lawyer,

This debate had just been finally put to rest and then you came in and throw out the same exact thing that you have said two or three times already. You know how I feel and I surely know how you feel. Let's just all agree to diagree. :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
Lawyer,

This debate had just been finally put to rest and then you came in and throw out the same exact thing that you have said two or three times already. You know how I feel and I surely know how you feel. Let's just all agree to diagree. :)
Spaz,
This is UG and the debate is never over..:)
I do hear where you're coming from. We'll just agree to disagree.