Absinthe

Again, I can only defer to my friend, who says that it's against FDA regulations (dating back many years, to when people thought drinking it was dangerous) to brew the stuff in the U.S.

You forgot to include semen du vermeer. That is the key ingredient in all good liquor.

Monk said:
I have a friend who makes his own "home brew." I asked him what his recipe consisted of. Here goes:

Anise, fennel, wormwood, corriander, star anise, mint, angelica root, lemon balm, hyssop, clove.

(A friend of his harvests the wormwood in his garden.) I tried his abisinthe once -- however, I have a real distaste for anise/liquorish, so I'm really the wrong person to critique something like this.

He swears by this guy named Ted Breaux from New Orleans who sells his brew under the brand name "Jade Liquors". Breaux manufactures it in New Zealand, as it's illegal to make it here in the U.S.. The New Yorker published an article about Breaux not that long ago.

My friend sent me this url for Jade Liquors http://www.bestabsinthe.com/

And this one for an article dispelling the myths of absinthe http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/about.html

A few nights ago, I saw an episode on the History channel on absinthe. It’s seemed that during the period of time that all the bad information came out about absinthe, the French Wine Industry took a huge hit. It seemed that the grape crop was very poor for several years. Frenchmen started drinking absinthe in a rapidly increasing rate that wine growers found alarming. Hence, they started rumors about the dangerous side effects of absinthe.

A modern chemist analyzed an unopened bottle of 125-year-old absinthe. He found that there was nothing harmful or psychotropic in the sample of absinthe tested. The absinthe was made of 70% alcohol (140 proof). That, in its self, could be harmful. Cheaper forms of absinthe were know to contain Copper Sulfate, which gave it its characteristic green color, which could be harmful, as well as a form of methanol, which could be harmful.

Very cheap versions of absinthe were made like bathtub gin with wood alcohol, which most certainly would be harmful.

Absinthe was finally banned through out most of Europe, including the U.S.

Absinthe in it’s original form (That is high quality absinthe) is available through almost all of Europe, except in the U.S.

Absinthe can be easily obtained via the Internet.

There were no less than four different brands on the shelves at the local ABC liquor store when I stopped in yesterday. And none of them were Lucid. $30 for a 750ml.

Last edited:
A friend of mine once told me there's a vodka distilled with marijuana from The Netherlands. Assuming this exists, how does this stack up against absinthe?

thujone- the active ingredient in wormwood oil can cause hallucinations.
if you are making "bathtub gin"- and have many miles on your liver-
you should proceed with caution. The terpenes or terpenoids-
essential oils are similar to THC- and the liver processes these
compounds in a similar way. Except it would be impossible to ingest
a fatal doseage of THC.