A Challenge to All UG Gold Members

I was just poking around UG and decided to do a quick search of Gold members, noting how many NEW threads they had started lately. There’s always so much handwringing on this site about how it’s “gone downhill,” one would think that the people who contribute the most (and, in some cases, complain the most) would try to contribute in positive ways by STARTING NEW THREADS on ON TOPIC subjects (read: hobbying-related) in an attempt to keep the site interesting and relevant.

Even if you don’t really care that much about UG’s “health and well being, ”one would think that the most prolific members would have a self interest in keeping the site’s discussions focused and stimulating.

Many long time contributors to the site complain that the quality of the UG discussions has gone to shit, so they don’t want to participate meaningfully any more. However, intelligent posting crowds out stupid posting in an online community every time. Don’t believe me? Have a look at this great UG thread with contributions from many Gold members:

http://utopiaguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41811

So I challenge anyone with a “Gold” after their name to START 10 relevant threads in the next month, and do your best to keep them on-topic. Given the amount that you post on the site, is that really asking so much?

(And, look, I’m as much to blame for this as anyone, so let’s not make this about me. Or, if you really want to, pile on. It won’t phase me either way.)

A special thanks to Slinky for his thoughtful feedback on this matter (and the link).