2012 Yankees

I said Hawkins because someone (YOU) had already said it was not Whitson two posts earlier:

So you threw me a curveball because my guess would have been Whitson but for your denial. The only two ex-Padres pitchers the Yankees acquired in that era were Whitson and Hawkins. With Whitson out of the running the only other possible choice was Hawkins. Whitson would have been my 1st choice but he had already been ruled out by you. But the truth is neither one of these guys was known as mentally tough when they pitched for the Yankees. Hawkins actually pitched a no hitter and lost the game.
Doc, my bad... But I thought that Steve, just commented that it was not Whitson... Well then good job by you..... I just could not think of it.....

Although it probably was Whitson there were quite a few others. Charlie Hudson was so freaked out that MArtin had to list that day's pitcher as *** (To be determined) When in reality it was always Charlie Hudson. There were others too.

As far as this trade goes ... it is too early to tell but right now it stinks!

Whitson didn't allow his wife to attend games at the stadium because of hecklers and an incident where someone threw something at her. He had no issues pitching there.

In that fight Martin busted Whitson's lip and in the breaking up of the fight someone landed on Martins arm breaking it. Billy got the best of a guy half his age.

Ozzy ... I don't remember it that way although you could be right. Billy was really banged up bad and looked horrible after the fight. I will try to find some old articles.

Whitson didn't allow his wife to attend games at the stadium because of hecklers and an incident where someone threw something at her. He had no issues pitching there.

In that fight Martin busted Whitson's lip and in the breaking up of the fight someone landed on Martins arm breaking it. Billy got the best of a guy half his age.
Martin was tough although not too strong. I think Martin had his share of fights and lost but you could be sure he got several good licks in there...

According to that article Whitson kicked Martin in the balls like a fucking pussy and then Martin went after him, the two fell to the floor and Whitson ended up with a cracked rib and Martin a broken arm. I'm going to assume the only real punch that landed was Martins on Whitson's face and resulted in a busted lip. At the time I thought Billy said his injury was a result of someone stepping on his arm while attempting to break up the fight. If not for I think Pinella and Art Fowler, Martin would have busted Reggie's lip in a Fenway dugout.

According to that article Whitson kicked Martin in the balls like a fucking pussy and then Martin went after him, the two fell to the floor and Whitson ended up with a cracked rib and Martin a broken arm. I'm going to assume the only real punch that landed was Martins on Whitson's face and resulted in a busted lip. At the time I thought Billy said his injury was a result of someone stepping on his arm while attempting to break up the fight. If not for I think Pinella and Art Fowler, Martin would have busted Reggie's lip in a Fenway dugout.
Gotta love Martin... How old was he at that time?

Just bumping this thread.

Hughes looked better yesterday, Curve was crisp and fastball had movement. He was in the 6th inning with 2 outs and 2 strikes on Wieters with 3 earned runs. He was one strike away from a "quality start". He hit Wieters in the toe .... Girardi jumped the gun as far as I was concerned and brougt in Logan. The bullpen vomited up the game and Hughes' pitching line then looked bad at 5 2/3 and 4 runs. AT least it was a step in the right direction.

Very disappointing. Could it be the end for the greatest of all time? This season is turnign out to be jinxed. We need to get Swisher and Gardner back ... get the starting rotation straightened out and we also need Tex and Cano to start hitting. One good thing is Jeter looks fantastic.

What are you guys talking about? He said he is coming back and it may happen this year. Gallardo of Milwaukee tore his ACL May 1 a few years ago and was back by the end of September. It is doable that he will be back for the playoffs but he will be back regardless.

He just announced that this afternoon. I am glad that he is coming back. He deserves to go out in style.
What he says now, and what he does later may be 2 different things. Poor Mariano... Hate to see him get injured what would have been his last yr.... That really sucks. His age wwont help him but he was always considered the best athelete on the team so You never know how he recovers.