Jury Duty.......

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Hey Em I thought I remember you saying you don't drive. So everyone here says they use the DMV records for the jury pool. So I am wondering how they selected you if you don't have a drivers lic. Just wondering..

Hey Em I thought I remember you saying you don't drive. So everyone here says they use the DMV records for the jury pool. So I am wondering how they selected you if you don't have a drivers lic. Just wondering..
It's a long story, my fear when I did this the thing that put me on the radar was that I would be called for Jury Duty. There is only so long you can live a bohemian lifestyle.

Last edited:
Emily; are you a US citizen? They used to pull names from the voter registration, but now they pull from the DMV files. I was on jury duty a few years ago and someone was selected for a trail, during the Q&A session, one of the jurors was asked if they were a US citizen, they said no and the judge dismissed the juror. You must be a US citizen to serve on a jury
I am a US citizen, born in Queens.

I can totally understand about not wanting to get stuck with jury duty. The one time I was chosen I got lucky and was dismissed after one day, and that was after showing up like 2 hours late! I think the clerk took pity on me. So maybe try running into the room way late in a total panic, soaked with rain.

I'm curious though - what kind of radical legal theories do you have? You seem like a pretty reasonable person to me - if I was on trial I think I'd want you on my jury. Or, maybe not?

-nycoder

Not so radical but I believe drugs should be legal so if I serve on a drug case I will instantly find him/her innocent based on the belief that they should have been arrested in the first place. I also thing anything related to prostitution should be legal except for the ********/ exploitation issues. I guess that's it but I heard that 80% of the cases are drug related so I doubt any DA would pick me.

I have my note so I am going to go down there and see what they say. My doctor says it worked for other patients but as I have been reading times have changed. If it's one day I don't mind but if I am stuck for weeks it is going to be a problem. To be honest it's not the missed work that worries me, I just don't want to get up early. I can't sleep until very late most nights especially in the Summer so getting up to be there at 9am will be a problem. I also don't like fluorescent light, they give me migraines whenever I have to sit under them for a long period of time. All government building seem to have them, it would be funny if I start changing lightbulbs in the waiting area.

Emily;

Just don't piss off the judge with alot of excuses when you are on the voir dire process. Once I was on a jury panel for voir dire and this one person said they could not serve because on the trial might be too long for him to sit in single position for an entire day. Then he had elaborated that he had to take frequent bathroom breaks, then went on to saying he could only stay till 4pm.

When the judge then asked if he worked and if he had any problems with the 'medical' problems, the guy said not really, it was more of an inconvenience at times...

The judge then asked the bailiff to bring this individual back to the jury pool and explicitly told the bailiff that this individual had to restart his entire jury duty process over again... This poor guy had been in the jury pool for 3 days and I believe it was going to be his last day there...

Again, don't make up alot of excuses to get off a jury panel...

There really is no way of escaping Jury Duty...
If the lighting were softer and it were a little later I wouldn't mind, maybe I should ask to serve in night court and wear shades. I pretty good when I need to explain myself without irritating people so I think I could get out of it and not piss anyone off.

Addendum to the above: Getting a "shrink" to declare you psycologically unsuitable [and that is what it would be stating] to serve on a jury could have unforeseen consequences, as it would become part of the public record.

Personally, it isn't an option as I see it.
I don't mind it becoming public record, in my line of work it might work in my favor one day. It's just a general statment that could be anything, I am not worried about showing it.

You'd be really surprised how the jury waiting rooms have changed for the better. Last time I was there, they had redone the whole place with better furniture, work areas, and even allowed you to get on the internet for a small fee. Even some of the court rooms were being redone...

Again, alot of things have changed....

Some advice please

EM, I've used the following twice and only because it is true. When asking for a deferment I stated that, "I pay child support for three children. After paying support I have a net balance of 268.00 every two weeks. I cannot afford the loss of time to miss additional work during the week." I used this in US district and in NYS court. Now obviously this wouldn't work for you, but something similar may work.

Since were on this subject, I have a dilemma. (sorry EM to take away from your business) A good friend of mine has a son here from Korea. She was a long time provider who actually took care of me when I was down going through my divorce. She has her green card and is now in the process of becoming a citizen.

He has been here for 10 years. He entered legally, but his Visa expired and has been illegal for about four years. He finished two years of college. He has a license and SS card and a good job. He can't go back to start the process for it would take too long and he would loose a lot. He just received his third Queens County jury notice "failure to respond" to his old address. Since I see registration for jury duty is now taken from DMV rolls he may loose his license.

The first two questions on the questionnaire are, "are you a US citizen", "if not provide proof of visa, passport, work card or alien registration. He is a good kid and I feel the need to help him and his mother. Some advice here would be very greatful. Thanks - Dell

Last edited:
Personally, I think jury duty is a small price to pay for being a US citizen. I always show up on the first notice and I'm usually excused after the first day of not being selected.

EM, when I had jury duty I postponed it to a week with a Monday holiday. Therefore, if I got stuck on a jury it would hopefully only be for 4 days. I don't know how they do it where you live but in Suffolk, for non grand jury duty, they have you call the night before to see if you have to report the next day. On the case that I got called for I told the attorneys that I hate these frivolous law suits that everyone brings and I was dismissed for the rest of the week.

EM, I've used the following twice and only because it is true. When asking for a deferment I stated that, "I pay child support for three children. After paying support I have a net balance of 268.00 every two weeks. I cannot afford the loss of time to miss additional work during the week." I used this in US district and in NYS court. Now obviously this wouldn't work for you, but something similar may work.

Since were on this subject, I have a dilemma. (sorry EM to take away from your business) A good friend of mine has a son here from Korea. She was a long time provider who actually took care of me when I was down going through my divorce. She has her green card and is now in the process of becoming a citizen.

He has been here for 10 years. He entered legally, but his Visa expired and has been illegal for about four years. He finished two years of college. He has a license and SS card and a good job. He can't go back to start the process for it would take too long and he would loose a lot. He just received his third Queens County jury notice "failure to respond" to his old address. Since I see registration for jury duty is now taken from DMV rolls he may loose his license.

The first two questions on the questionnaire are, "are you a US citizen", "if not provide proof of visa, passport, work card or alien registration. He is a good kid and I feel the need to help him and his mother. Some advice here would be very greatful. Thanks - Dell
There is something regarding a $100 fine for not responding, I wonder by paying that fine for him you he would be exempt altogether. The only thing is to wait and see if any action is going to happen. Either way if he shows up or waits for action he may be deported so I would take the gamble and hope he gets lost in the shuffle. I am confused because I sent in the questionnaire and they still sent me a failure to respond even though I did respond, they must be overwhelmed with paperwork. I can tell you the at Dept of Homeland Security is no joke, I was dealing with them last year and it was an unnerving, degrading experience. My best suggestion is he find a nice US citizen to marry and fast.

No exemptions for jury duty for normal people

There is a difference between serving jury duty and being seated on a jury for an actual trial.

Serving duty basically means just showing up in the jury pool area and being available.

You may or may not ever be seated on an actual jury for a trial.

As an example, lawyers, judges, law enforcement officers, etc., are NEVER seated on a jury, as they are not considered to be peers. However, they do not get excused from jury duty. They have to show up like anybody else and just wait to be excused.

One thing not mentioned so far is your residence. Have you thought about "changing" (figure it out what I am saying) your residence to another county or even better another state and responding to the notice that you are no longer a candidate in their jurisdiction. You could then change it back. You may have to open a PO Box to get all your important mail (credit card bills) and have all other mail forwarded to the "new address". You could change back I would think in a couple of months.

Seems like a lot of work to get out of something that isn’t all that bad. I get called about once every 5 years or so. The last 6 calls were - starting with most recent:

1. Didn’t get the questionnaire in the mail (musta got lost in the mail). 6 months latter they sent another saying “You really oughta answer this one. I did Months later got called went 1st day. Went at 9am to skip the stupid film on "why you should serve" Was called for a panel interview along with 40 others. They picked the jury before they got to me. Went home at 4pm. Went second day. Sat around until 2pm and they said you are done.

2. Didn’t get the questionnaire in the mail (musta got lost in the mail). 6 months latter they sent another saying “You really oughta answer this one went 1st day. Went at 9am to skip the stupid film on "why you should serve", Got on jury - someone tripped on sidewalk and suing owner. done next day Verdict: you are supposed to look where you are walking especially if you trip on a 1/2 inch crack outside a major retail store (with deep pockets) No award.

3. Didn’t get the questionnaire in the mail (musta got lost in the mail). 6 months latter they sent another saying “You really oughta answer this one Went 1st day. Went at 8:30am to watch the stupid film on "why you should serve". Figured out next time I should come later to to skip the stupid film on "why you should serve". Some traffic accident. Picked 1st day in pm. Came back next am at 10am, sat around while lawyers negotiated. The settled w/o trial.

4. Didn’t get the questionnaire in the mail (musta got lost in the mail). ditto (more or less #4) Except I hadn't figured out about the film yet.

5. Answered questionnaire and got called a couple of months later. Buddy at work said his questionnaire always gets lost in the mail the 1st time and they dont bother him for at least 6 months when they send another. Traffic accident. Felt the guy was faking it (long story) Awarded cost of neck brace and doctors bills (about $5K Total) Found out after trail he was suing for $500K, the insurance company offered him $25K that he did not accept. Boy, was his lawyer pissed at the jury and the insurance co lawyer was dancing in the hallway.

I waited around all day to get picked into the jury room. When I was picked and went into the room I waited for everyone to sit and then told the cop I was very claustrophobic and needed to sit near the door at all times. I acted like I was fine and wasnt looking to be excused or they might have asked me for a doctors note or to return in 6 months. I just looked concerned. The cop went up to the judge and the cop asked me to come out of the room. He then gave me a note and told me to go back to the selection waiting area, they told me to go home and I was excused. The judge didnt want any distractions of someone having to leave the room. I became friends with the girl I sat next to and she had to be on the trial for a week. I spent one day and dont have to go back for 6 yrs!
Guess I was lucky.

I waited around all day to get picked into the jury room. When I was picked and went into the room I waited for everyone to sit and then told the cop I was very claustrophobic and needed to sit near the door at all times. I acted like I was fine and wasnt looking to be excused or they might have asked me for a doctors note or to return in 6 months. I just looked concerned. The cop went up to the judge and the cop asked me to come out of the room. He then gave me a note and told me to go back to the selection waiting area, they told me to go home and I was excused. The judge didnt want any distractions of someone having to leave the room. I became friends with the girl I sat next to and she had to be on the trial for a week. I spent one day and dont have to go back for 6 yrs!
Guess I was lucky.
If you get the wrong judge (they have heard it all) he can really ruin your day. The best thing to do is not to be there in the 1st place.

Quite frankly, I dont see what the big deal is but obviously it is to Emily - she would most likely either not get on a case or get on a civil suit case. If it is a criminal case and if she says what she does for a living (private massage) there is a good chance, IMHO, that the DA would not want her on the jury.

Guess I was lucky.
I know someone who met thier future husband at Jury Duty. Who knows maybe it's the new pick up spot.

I actually do have problems with being crushed in with groups of people, being in small unfamiliar places and bright lights. I was on the subway once and the train was stuck for what seemed like forever, it was really crowded the next thing I knew I was hyperventing and like I was going to faint, it was horrible. We had to move to the first couple of cars to get out and the conductor was called because I was too much of a mess to walk myself through. I didn't take the train for two years after that.

If you get the wrong judge (they have heard it all) he can really ruin your day. The best thing to do is not to be there in the 1st place.

Quite frankly, I dont see what the big deal is but obviously it is to Emily - she would most likely either not get on a case or get on a civil suit case. If it is a criminal case and if she says what she does for a living (private massage) there is a good chance, IMHO, that the DA would not want her on the jury.
I was thinking about that but I could never say what I do. I just don't want to get up early and sit there. I get terrible migraines if I am in the wrong lighting for more than a 1/2 hour, add not sleeping and the stress of being herded around with strangers from room to room ; it will be hell for me. I delebrately live a different lifestyle then most people to accommodate my tolerance for things most people don't even think twice about and a diversion from that for even a day stresses me out. I can't say I moved because of reasons I can't state here, I am fucked, I can't avoid it and must face what they hand me.

Been called several times never served, never even had to sit. Got out of it every single time. It's so easy I can't post it in public cause it would be ruined for all my friends still doing it.

Maybe I will just take a sedative and tell them I had too because of the stress of being there and will be dismissed because they can't have a person serving who mind is altered with med's, or can they?

I also have a fear of government building and authoritative figures, the more I think about Jury Duty the more stressed I am becoming.