Double Life: Phones

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Get a disposable prepaid phone. Pay cash. Regularly add minutes, always paying in cash. Never tied to you. Keep the ringer off and don't keep it where the mrs could find it. Put a password on it too. If someone (like the mrs) finds it, claim you found it in the street and were hoping someone would call it so you could identify the owner to return it.

question on prepaids?

i just bought a tracfone.

to activate it, they wanted name adddress and cell phone ?

they said this was for lost and found purposes.

whats going here...this completely defeats the purpose??

Seeker;

If you paid the phone in cash, you can just make up a name and address. They will not verify it anyway. It's more for marketing crap..

As for the pre-paid phone, make sure you try to give a PIN to access the voic*****. This way if the SO picks up the phone, they can't listen to you voic*****s...

Tracfone

I lost my tracfone a couple of weeks ago, I did have the serial number of it written down. I bought a new phone, paid cash, called Tracfone and they moved my mins from my lost phone to my new phone. The asked me for a name and address, I just made one up. Phone works fine.

Seeker;

Just make an fake name and address so if you are every asked again, you can use it repeatly....

Also, I've gotten t-mobile and at&t pay as you go phones using the same fake address.. they really don't care, it's just a form they have to fill out when they activate the phone.

Waterclone;

I used AT&T for a while and found out that they sucked my money faster than a cheap provider... I prefer using my T-Mobile account now. You spend over $100 and you get extra bonus minutes and also you get to keep the number for a year...

Also I use my AT&T pre-paid AT&T phones for special events where you can't bring in an camera phone. I have the iPhone which has a camera, so I just pop the SIMM and then put it into my cheap pre-paid phone..

:)

Last edited:
Posts having to do with tips on using prepaid phones and other phone involved methodology to cover your ass as you do "this thing of ours".

if this post looks familiar its becuase its cross posted

i was looking into this recently. My main issues are that i want very low get in costs and i dont want the minutes or $ to expire. As mongers, our issues are different than providers. we will only use these phones once in a while so per minute rates can be higher but the idea of them expiring unless you invest more money makes it a shitty proposition.

The best deal i found was from "STI Mobile" there deal is that you buy the phone with $20 already on it. the phone and the $20 costs you $39. so really the phone is only $19. Its a A660 or something but who cares. They charge you 10 cents per day whether you use it or not, (so $3/per/mo), and they charge you 10 cents per minute. you must make one call every 60 days otherwise you loose your $.

if this post looks familiar its becuase its cross posted

i was looking into this recently. My main issues are that i want very low get in costs and i dont want the minutes or $ to expire. As mongers, our issues are different than providers. we will only use these phones once in a while so per minute rates can be higher but the idea of them expiring unless you invest more money makes it a shitty proposition.

The best deal i found was from "STI Mobile" there deal is that you buy the phone with $20 already on it. the phone and the $20 costs you $39. so really the phone is only $19. Its a A660 or something but who cares. They charge you 10 cents per day whether you use it or not, (so $3/per/mo), and they charge you 10 cents per minute. you must make one call every 60 days otherwise you loose your $.
How do they go about charging you the $3/month? If it involves billing they have your name and address which defeats the whole purpose.

The TMOBILE prepaid is your best bet. A cheap one is like 30-40 bucks and it comes with 10 mins, but if you buy $100 in minutes, its 1000 minutes that expires exactly 1 year from when you put it in. 1 year, 1000 minutes for only 100, you can't beat that, especially if you are hard core mongerer.