TS Henri (Not Transexual) DO You Believe The Forecast Hype??

Status
Not open for further replies.
....Luckily I didn't need gas as I no longer commute.
BTW, my insurance company has 3 categories that significantly influence premiums involving commuting:
1.(interesting they call this category "pleasure") no longer working or commuting < 3 miles to work or car pooling 3 or more days/week (driving only 2).
2. 3 to <15 miles to work
3. > 15 miles to work
If you havent changed your catagory you should check to see if they have them. More $$ for mongering

billyS

Reign of Terror
-Scanned a few items with the app?
Please explain- Does that mean you do not need to formally check out at the register?
Yes. The Bj's app uses your phone's camera to scan the items. If there is a coupon available it will let you know when you review the cart, eliminating the need to cut the paper ones.
When it's time to check out you can subtract out any bonus dollars you might have earned and then pay with a credit card you have stored. They just ask for the csv every time.
When done you get the qrc code on your phone.

Then you proceed to the front door where there is a separate line for app users and a worker scans your code. Sometimes they scan a few items in your wagon , sometimes all of them (if it's a new person) and sometimes like yesterday just wave me thru.

- No gas , no commuting? does that mean you walk to all your monger encounters .. ? .. lol jk :)
Lol, no. Funny because my trips to Queens are basically the extent of my gas usage.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yeah, I'd like to know how the app works too but seems like (unless the guy knows you and just waves you on) that although it save the checkout line it doesn't save the "count the stuff in your cart" line

As far as no gas no commuting, I only "commute" to flushing 2X a week, otherwise everything is local and I really don't care about gas prices (although I use BJs gas as it is on the same street as my gym.
It's still quicker even if they rescan your cart because there is almost never a wait for the scan person.
Yesterday for example the wait was approximately 15 minutes to get to either a cashier or the self check. At that point most people empty their carts to scan each item or have the cashier scan them.
Then you have to reload the cart.
Then wait on the line where the door person reads the receipt and checks the cart.

billyS

Reign of Terror
BTW, my insurance company has 3 categories that significantly influence premiums involving commuting:
1.(interesting they call this category "pleasure") no longer working or commuting < 3 miles to work or car pooling 3 or more days/week (driving only 2).
2. 3 to <15 miles to work
3. > 15 miles to work
If you havent changed your catagory you should check to see if they have them. More $$ for mongering
Yes, I took care of that in March 2020.
I reported I was working from home and they cut my cost considerably.
Of course I made no mention of traveling to Queens 2x a week, not Flushing, but not far from Flushing.

Of course I made no mention of traveling to Queens 2x a week, not Flushing, but not far from Flushing.
My company specifically says "commuting to work".

On a side note with respect to commuting…

I had been with Liberty Mutual for 10 years having switched from Geico- LM rates were cheaper, but were creeping up a few % points every year-

Received a solicitation from AARP/Hartford and thought why not give them a call- Saved 35% off LM rates-

For those over 50 with good driving records and credit, it pays to give a call

does insurance require proof of mileage or putting something in your car or it’s honor system?

billyS

Reign of Terror
does insurance require proof of mileage or putting something in your car or it’s honor system?
At this point it's the honor system. I suspect if we get back to "normal" at some point they might require proof.
But for example my company moved to "back to the office" back until 2022 because of the Variant.

I had been with Liberty Mutual for 10 years having switched from Geico- LM rates were cheaper, but were creeping up a few % points every year-

Received a solicitation from AARP/Hartford and thought why not give them a call- Saved 35% off LM rates-

I had GEICO. Then LiMu. A few years ago, Allstate was showing up here looking to crack the market and offered huge discounts for homeowner, and more if you did pre-pay and then more if you added car. If you had more than one car, more discounts. Then more for 'safe driving', which requires activating your phone for (something my kids and wife won't do, but it's saved us another $100 a year, just with my activation). I wound up saving massive amounts on all these as a result. It pays to find out which insurance firms are trying to leverage into your market.

Admittedly, I hate activating my phone for anyone or anything. But this was reasonable. And they have ways to get that info anyway (especially if you go through tolls).

The is more to the "cost" of auto insurance than what you pay in premiums; the true cost, IMHO, is the cost of the premiums plus the cost you implicitly pay when you have a claim and need to collect.
Take a look at Consumer Reports ratings on auto insurers. Some insures a consistently highly rated (AMICA, that I have, is almost right at the top) and Allstate almost always at the bottom.)
For example I know of only 2 people who had to take their insurer to court to get a proper payment for their loss; both of those people had Allstate (yeah, small sample but consistent with the CR rating).

Another example I personally had many years ago was when I had an accident and brought my car to a repair place. The guy asked me who my insurer was and when I told him AMICA he said “Thank God”

Curious as to why he said that I asked and he said that with AMICA what he submits as an estimate is not cast in concrete; if he finds, while replacing parts something that can’t be seen, (say small crack in a water pump that couldn’t have been pre-accident as to no evidence of fluid stains nearby) he presents the evidence and AMICA adjusts the estimate. Not so easy with other insurers.

At this point it's the honor system. I suspect if we get back to "normal" at some point they might require proof.
But for example my company moved to "back to the office" back until 2022 because of the Variant.
Honor System, yes—-
Just a thought
One indicates they drive 2-3 k miles a year for the purpose of keeping premiums down-

An accident or event occurs which requires substantial investigation by the insurance company to avoid paying out a large sum of money-
They see the mileage on the car is thousands more then the insured stated would be the norm

They then take your whole life under the microscope looking for fraud/ fraudulent statements and deny your claim leaving you on the hook for your life savings.

An exaggeration, perhaps-

Thought for its own thread

The is more to the "cost" of auto insurance than what you pay in premiums; the true cost, IMHO, is the cost of the premiums plus the cost you implicitly pay when you have a claim and need to collect.
Take a look at Consumer Reports ratings on auto insurers. Some insures a consistently highly rated (AMICA, that I have, is almost right at the top) and Allstate almost always at the bottom.)
For example I know of only 2 people who had to take their insurer to court to get a proper payment for their loss; both of those people had Allstate (yeah, small sample but consistent with the CR rating).

Another example I personally had many years ago was when I had an accident and brought my car to a repair place. The guy asked me who my insurer was and when I told him AMICA he said “Thank God”

Curious as to why he said that I asked and he said that with AMICA what he submits as an estimate is not cast in concrete; if he finds, while replacing parts something that can’t be seen, (say small crack in a water pump that couldn’t have been pre-accident as to no evidence of fluid stains nearby) he presents the evidence and AMICA adjusts the estimate. Not so easy with other insurers.
This is interesting. I have only made 2 claims on cars in my history, but never had a problem collecting. The only mistake was when one car was rear-ended and we called the insurance company who covered it to have it 'fixed' (it was, but a little wonky forever after). The dealer told us (as it was only 3 months old) that the first place you go is the dealer and they will likely declare a total loss (if they can) and there is nothing the insurance company can do. Instead, by calling the insurance company first, the dealer did the work, it was all covered (since we were rear-ended, the other person paid, but it was still a hit on our insurance), but we could have had a new car.

As far as Allstate goes - I did learn another lesson, though it was homeowners. We noticed a foul smell in our sump. Turns out the french drains were having sewerage leak into them from the main lines. We tested with ink, and sure enough...blech. Well, Allstate says they don't insure for 'wear and tear' which is what they classified the leaking main line as. A sewer repair company came in, did a camera analysis, showed the leak was on the TOP of the line, indicating that it wasn't wear and tear, and that the leakage was damaging our french drains and undermining the foundation. Allstate had a sit-down with the sewer company's engineers, and we wound up getting it all fully paid for.

Insurance can be a scam...you just have to know how to play it sometimes. They deliberately do not make it easy.

Stay safe all-
By a show of hands, who would like to be stranded with any one of our female contributors here on the board during the upcoming storm :)
I went to visit someone that had a flight for today and wasn’t watching the storm. Freaked out when I told her flight might be canceled she had to be there next morning.

IMHO, not a good idea to have incorrect info on your insurance policy.

Read your policy: you are required to notify them in a timely manner if there is any substantial change in the conditions that your policy's rate is based on.

From what I understand lets say (I'm totally making up the $'s) you have $500K of insurance on something, say auto, and you say you drive <3 miles to work but you actually drive >15, and that saves you $100/yr on the premium of $1000/yr. Technically the insurance company can claim if you have a $500K accident (pretty easy to do if there is injury) that you only have the amount of insurance that $900/yr would buy which say is $400K. You are on the hook for $100K.

So if you think you are saving money you are only kidding yourself.

Maybe even worse ramifications if you purposely provide false info to obtain a lower premium, e.g., you say you live at you parent's house which is in a low risk (and hence lower premium) area and have your bills sent there, whereas you actually live in a high risk area.

Maybe some of the UG mongers involved with insurance can chime in.

MOD: If this topic goes on much more perhaps there should be a new thread.

billyS

Reign of Terror
IMHO, not a good idea to have incorrect info on your insurance policy.

Read your policy: you are required to notify them in a timely manner if there is any substantial change in the conditions that your policy's rate is based on.

From what I understand lets say (I'm totally making up the $'s) you have $500K of insurance on something, say auto, and you say you drive <3 miles to work but you actually drive >15, and that saves you $100/yr on the premium of $1000/yr. Technically the insurance company can claim if you have a $500K accident (pretty easy to do if there is injury) that you only have the amount of insurance that $900/yr would buy which say is $400K. You are on the hook for $100K.

So if you think you are saving money you are only kidding yourself.

Maybe even worse ramifications if you purposely provide false info to obtain a lower premium, e.g., you say you live at you parent's house which is in a low risk (and hence lower premium) area and have your bills sent there, whereas you actually live in a high risk area.

Maybe some of the UG mongers involved with insurance can chime in.

MOD: If this topic goes on much more perhaps there should be a new thread.
I never said I was giving them false information.
I work from home. I don't commute. I get a discount since I no longer commute 250 miles a week.
I'm not giving incorrect information.

Thankfully the storm was not as bad as originally reported

NEWS 12- Optimum
Their reporting is pretty much palatable but I do have a hard time deciphering their- “ live reports” which may not always be live, but reruns of segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.