Best Italian Restaurant in NYC (inspired by the "Italian Deli" thread)

Luna in little Italy was my favorite, but is gone now. It's a shame little Italy is basically just a block now and Chinatown has taken over. Gotti would of never let that happen.

Exiled: Looking at your list i'm sure our paths have crossed but King Umbertos is the best! Its my
weekly go to place. Never tired of going here!
But I do have to ad Bacaro in Massapequa. Another good choice!

Exiled: Looking at your list i'm sure our paths have crossed but King Umbertos is the best! Its my
weekly go to place. Never tired of going here!
But I do have to ad Bacaro in Massapequa. Another good choice!
I listed them geographically from north to southeast. I can't pick a favorite out of them as I enjoy them all. Only negative is Mio Posto might be a bit to loud as the acoustics amplifies every voice. My favorite meal though is the chicken scarpariello at the Pine Tavern, Bronxdale and Rhinelander Ave in the Bronx. I'll give Bacaro a try, the menu looks good. Another place I liked but is now gone was Amato's in Amityville.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I listed them geographically from north to southeast. I can't pick a favorite out of them as I enjoy them all. Only negative is Mio Posto might be a bit to loud as the acoustics amplifies every voice. My favorite meal though is the chicken scarpariello at the Pine Tavern, Bronxdale and Rhinelander Ave in the Bronx. I'll give Bacaro a try, the menu looks good. Another place I liked but is now gone was Amato's in Amityville.
Isn't Mio Posto in Oceanside? Or at least it was? I think it's a Cajun place now.

Isn't Mio Posto in Oceanside? Or at least it was? I think it's a Cajun place now.
They had places in Westbury and Oceanside. They didn't renew their lease in Oceanside and moved to Long Beach. In Long Beach they were shut down and lost their liquor license for Covid violations. Now I see from googling both Westbury and Long Beach are closed permanently and they opened up in Merrick.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
For a while there was an after hours at Umberto's Clam House. They would remove the entire sign when they did it - my guess is the idiot kids who went had no idea the name of the place.

One night Skrillex came through with an entourage after a show at MSG. They did a lap of the place and on the way out he stopped dead in front of me, turned, shook my hand and said "It's an honor to meet you." I still have no idea who he thought I was.

billyS

Reign of Terror
For a while there was an after hours at Umberto's Clam House. They would remove the entire sign when they did it - my guess is the idiot kids who went had no idea the name of the place.

One night Skrillex came through with an entourage after a show at MSG. They did a lap of the place and on the way out he stopped dead in front of me, turned, shook my hand and said "It's an honor to meet you." I still have no idea who he thought I was.
Maybe he knew exactly who you were!

pokler

Power Bottom

Maybe crazy Joe Gallo ?

I'm in Little Italy every Sunday nite for my spaghetti and meatballs and then smoke a Cuban with my gangster friends. Lamela and Ilcortile are my go to places. Now you know where to find Pokler.
They're going to make a movie about you someday. (push for Quentin Tarantino to direct it over Martin Scorsese) And play your own part.

As anyone of Italian descent will say, Italian food is tricky. Too many bad places out there, and even the "good" places are disappointing. So here's my oist of places I go to when I'm too lazy to cook. Not saying theyre great or even better than just "sub par", but I never leave UNSATISFIED.

Ginos on Crossbay
Il Poeta on Metropolitan
Albertos on Metropolitan (across from Il Poeta)
Da Francesco on Graham Ave
Spuntino in Westbury

HONORARY MENTION
Portofinos on Ascan/Queens Blvd has excellent gnocchi arrabiata

Was at King Umberto's recently in Elmont, very disappointing. Food was borderline awful, service was excellent though.
They can't possibly keep up the quality with how big they have gotten with that outside patio. Not authentic in the least, its just a name that everyone associates with being good because it USE to be good. Sal's down the road on Meacham is better. Quality always takes a hit when you expand, good Italian food on the Island is like a unicorn....just don't exist.

As anyone of Italian descent will say, Italian food is tricky. Too many bad places out there, and even the "good" places are disappointing. So here's my oist of places I go to when I'm too lazy to cook. Not saying theyre great or even better than just "sub par", but I never leave UNSATISFIED.

Ginos on Crossbay
Il Poeta on Metropolitan
Albertos on Metropolitan (across from Il Poeta)
Da Francesco on Graham Ave
Spuntino in Westbury

HONORARY MENTION
Portofinos on Ascan/Queens Blvd has excellent gnocchi arrabiata
Forgot all about Albertos havent been there in years and only went a few times. But was pretty good.

Forgot all about Albertos havent been there in years and only went a few times. But was pretty good.
Albertos for when I want classic red sauce southern style
Il Poeta is more northern, and their menu changes sometimes

Was at King Umberto's recently in Elmont, very disappointing. Food was borderline awful, service was excellent though.
They can't possibly keep up the quality with how big they have gotten with that outside patio. Not authentic in the least, its just a name that everyone associates with being good because it USE to be good. Sal's down the road on Meacham is better. Quality always takes a hit when you expand, good Italian food on the Island is like a unicorn....just don't exist.
A list of places to avoid is typically more useful. It would be a thousand page thread.