Best Italian Restaurant in NYC (inspired by the "Italian Deli" thread)

Was at King Umberto's recently in Elmont, very disappointing. Food was borderline awful, service was excellent though.
They can't possibly keep up the quality with how big they have gotten with that outside patio. Not authentic in the least, its just a name that everyone associates with being good because it USE to be good. Sal's down the road on Meacham is better. Quality always takes a hit when you expand, good Italian food on the Island is like a unicorn....just don't exist.
The question them
‘How does one define good Italian Food”?
The sauce?
Spices?
Recipes?

i am not of Italian heritage therefore did not have the pleasure of “Grandmas” recipes—
What I can say though - Traveled to Italy a while back and the food was the best I’ve ever had-( pasta’s, sauces, and steaks)

Albertos for when I want classic red sauce southern style
Il Poeta is more northern, and their menu changes sometimes

A list of places to avoid is typically more useful. It would be a thousand page thread.
Not sure I follow you Judge, I was reading a few pages back and a few had said King Umberto's was really good. I disagree. You asking for another thread to be started on WORST Italian Restaurants?

The question them
‘How does one define good Italian Food”?
The sauce?
Spices?
Recipes?

i am not of Italian heritage therefore did not have the pleasure of “Grandmas” recipes—
What I can say though - Traveled to Italy a while back and the food was the best I’ve ever had-( pasta’s, sauces, and steaks)
If anyone has had the luxury of traveling to Italy then you know the difference between American Italian, and real Italian.
I was never better fed or in a food organism then when in Southern Italy, Puglia, Badi, Sicily. Unbelievable, old school, no short cuts, no delivery, simplest, best ingredients. My god I can still taste the Manigot I had, I ate it three days in a row. The seafood was unreal.

If anyone has had the luxury of traveling to Italy then you know the difference between American Italian, and real Italian.
I was never better fed or in a food organism then when in Southern Italy, Puglia, Badi, Sicily. Unbelievable, old school, no short cuts, no delivery, simplest, best ingredients. My god I can still taste the Manigot I had, I ate it three days in a row. The seafood was unreal.
*Not food organism, "Food Orgasm"

pokler

Power Bottom
When I went a distant cousin I'd never met before took me to his garden. He picked cactus pear, figs , appricot fresh off the trees and it was the best , sweetest fruit I'd ever eaten. Pure heaven.

As anyone of Italian descent will say, Italian food is tricky. Too many bad places out there, and even the "good" places are disappointing. So here's my oist of places I go to when I'm too lazy to cook. Not saying theyre great or even better than just "sub par", but I never leave UNSATISFIED.

Ginos on Crossbay
Il Poeta on Metropolitan
Albertos on Metropolitan (across from Il Poeta)
Da Francesco on Graham Ave
Spuntino in Westbury

HONORARY MENTION
Portofinos on Ascan/Queens Blvd has excellent gnocchi arrabiata
Da Francesco on Graham Ave… wow a lot of good memories there. It’s one of those dining experiences where your palette reaches orgasm. Some of the dishes are very unique including the way they prepare and serve calamari.

Out here in the sticks, There is bell curve worth of average red sauce places, and pretentious jabronies on the outside curves. The two old school Italian American places that I enjoy are Mama Lisa’s in Mastic, and La Parmigiana in Southampton. La Parmigiana has been around much longer, but both are consistent, which is important to me.

The sauce is what I go back for. It’s cooked down so much. Dark sauce caramelized and rich. Calamari is always fresh. I have been going here since Pips was next door

The sauce is what I go back for. It’s cooked down so much. Dark sauce caramelized and rich. Calamari is always fresh. I have been going here since Pips was next door
PIPS!!
I think you are now dating yourself …
Lol- I’m right with ya

Jahns was also good for a couple of scoops of fresh ice cream

Dubrows on Kings Highway was always reliable for a hot cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning after an all nighter

PIPS!!
I think you are now dating yourself …
Lol- I’m right with ya

Jahns was also good for a couple of scoops of fresh ice cream

Dubrows on Kings Highway was always reliable for a hot cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning after an all nighter
I was there when they opened Brennan and Carr.