The Queen's Real Estate market

I heard Far Rockaway is still affordable.
Who told you that? Arverne by the sea has passed 1.3mil
A friend, although she did mention some new complex on the water was very expensive so I guess that's the one you cherry picked to make your point.
Your both cross talking past each other. Arverne by the Sea is not Far Rockaway. And using it as an example is not cherry picking as the area is trending upward for sure.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Your both cross talking past each other. Arverne by the Sea is not Far Rockaway. And using it as an example is not cherry picking as the area is trending upward for sure.
So if Arverne by the Sea is not Far Rockaway then how does that prove the area is trending upwards?

Just my .02 here....
Writing this post sitting in traffic driving through Queens...
The amount of vehicles on the road are reaching intolerable levels... 495/695/GCP etc during the new rush hour ( 2 pm onwards) extend the once 20 minute trip into double or triple that time... Where are all these people going...To their homes in Queens, LI etc...The once one car household has now turned into a two or three car household. As long as the economy remains stable, prices will continue to rise— People will still come.

Just my .02 here....
Writing this post sitting in traffic driving through Queens...
The amount of vehicles on the road are reaching intolerable levels... 495/695/GCP etc during the new rush hour ( 2 pm onwards) extend the once 20 minute trip into double or triple that time... Where are all these people going...To their homes in Queens, LI etc...The once one car household has now turned into a two or three car household. As long as the economy remains stable, prices will continue to rise— People will still come.
4 Boro will be Silicon Valley east wait another 20 years.

4 Boro will be Silicon Valley east wait another 20 years.
What makes you say that? (I'm assuming by Silicon Valley type companies you mean VLSI stuff)
There were a couple of substantial semiconductor companies on LI during 70's but they moved to other parts of US (Arizona comes to mind and big now). I've been out of touch for many years but only ones I know of that are left do discrete components. At one time IBM was the largest manufacturer of silicon stuff in US (they didn't sell any — all for their internal use) but I don't know what their capabilities are anymore in this area.

Silicon Valley companies require employees with some very specific talents — that makes it kinda hard to attract them to areas where there aren't already companies of that type.

Do elaborate.

All the simple capes in Queens, torn down and became towering fortresses. Many avoid Long Island due to the high taxes. Huge old dilapidated wooden structures throughout Queens, many in Jamaica and even Flushing, not very pleasant looking,1930's construction, never updated, at least 1.5 million and up. Many of them are subdivided into one-mat-on-the-floor apportioned spaces, no bigger than an AMP stall and they become a sort of hotel with many micro-bedrooms. And on top of it all, with the active AIRBNB market, the over-crowding and quality of life is certainly not what it used to be. But, maybe that is everywhere with the population more than doubling in the very recent past.

Believe it or not, almost 200 languages are spoken in NYC. (fact)

Many stay because they were born into it and have nowhere else to go and still having gainful employment. Sure, it is interesting if you enjoy many cultures and cuisines from around the globe but even that uniqueness is now becoming a global phenomenon.

NYC has no real local food supplies to speak about. Most of the Long Island farms that once existed are now malls. (Long Island potatoes and corn were once prized) So, the plentiful beautiful fruits and vegetables in thee markets come from thousands of miles away, many from Mexico and South America with absolutely no pesticide and preservative restrictions, hence they appear as if they were from The Garden of Eden. The once great old world bakeries featuring hearty rye, barley and wheat breads with sour-dough starters instead of commercial yeast also gone, gone, gone.

When I was younger, I had the patience for it all but recently I was FORCED to see that I was hanging on for nostalgic purposes and a fear to explore other options.

But, all that being said, property prices will always be on the rise in the 5 boroughs.

I mean, when I was a kid, the property in run-down neighborhoods and scary neighborhoods could be gotten for a song. The City of New York actually had a program of giving away free-of-charge huge apartment complexes to entrepreneurs who would rehabilitate the structures and create viable decent housing to improve the neighborhoods.

The influx of foreign peoples are always targeted to NYC. They will find their familiar enclave there and more than likely find employment if they are willing to start at the bottom. And because of the vast amounts of cultures always present, everybody tolerates one another quite well which leads to far less discrimination than in other areas of America which have remained more-or-less traditional, stable and closed-off.

Fear not for the value of your NYC property. As long as there are people, they are drawn like magnets to that Statue of Liberty and the promise of hope that she offers.

What makes you say that? (I'm assuming by Silicon Valley type companies you mean VLSI stuff)
There were a couple of substantial semiconductor companies on LI during 70's but they moved to other parts of US (Arizona comes to mind and big now). I've been out of touch for many years but only ones I know of that are left do discrete components. At one time IBM was the largest manufacturer of silicon stuff in US (they didn't sell any — all for their internal use) but I don't know what their capabilities are anymore in this area.

Silicon Valley companies require employees with some very specific talents — that makes it kinda hard to attract them to areas where there aren't already companies of that type.

Do elaborate.
My comment was in regard to home prices not business entities

All the simple capes in Queens, torn down and became towering fortresses. Many avoid Long Island due to the high taxes. Huge old dilapidated wooden structures throughout Queens, many in Jamaica and even Flushing, not very pleasant looking,1930's construction, never updated, at least 1.5 million and up. Many of them are subdivided into one-mat-on-the-floor apportioned spaces, no bigger than an AMP stall and they become a sort of hotel with many micro-bedrooms. And on top of it all, with the active AIRBNB market, the over-crowding and quality of life is certainly not what it used to be. But, maybe that is everywhere with the population more than doubling in the very recent past.

Believe it or not, almost 200 languages are spoken in NYC. (fact)

Many stay because they were born into it and have nowhere else to go and still having gainful employment. Sure, it is interesting if you enjoy many cultures and cuisines from around the globe but even that uniqueness is now becoming a global phenomenon.

NYC has no real local food supplies to speak about. Most of the Long Island farms that once existed are now malls. (Long Island potatoes and corn were once prized) So, the plentiful beautiful fruits and vegetables in thee markets come from thousands of miles away, many from Mexico and South America with absolutely no pesticide and preservative restrictions, hence they appear as if they were from The Garden of Eden. The once great old world bakeries featuring hearty rye, barley and wheat breads with sour-dough starters instead of commercial yeast also gone, gone, gone.

When I was younger, I had the patience for it all but recently I was FORCED to see that I was hanging on for nostalgic purposes and a fear to explore other options.

But, all that being said, property prices will always be on the rise in the 5 boroughs.

I mean, when I was a kid, the property in run-down neighborhoods and scary neighborhoods could be gotten for a song. The City of New York actually had a program of giving away free-of-charge huge apartment complexes to entrepreneurs who would rehabilitate the structures and create viable decent housing to improve the neighborhoods.

The influx of foreign peoples are always targeted to NYC. They will find their familiar enclave there and more than likely find employment if they are willing to start at the bottom. And because of the vast amounts of cultures always present, everybody tolerates one another quite well which leads to far less discrimination than in other areas of America which have remained more-or-less traditional, stable and closed-off.

Fear not for the value of your NYC property. As long as there are people, they are drawn like magnets to that Statue of Liberty and the promise of hope that she offers.
Good home made bread ,bagels still abound in bakeries all over. Wonder bread Tayste and Stella Dora are much missed

Good home made bread ,bagels still abound in bakeries all over. Wonder bread Tayste and Stella Dora are much missed
Bagels, maybe. But that is a niche market. But, true bread bakeries are nowhere to be found. Not widespread. When America rose and reigned supreme, she was fueled by wheat. It is long forgotten. Pick up an old copper penny, its symbol on the most basic coin in America, the most basic unit of monetary measurement was "Wheat."

Bagels, maybe. But that is a niche market. But, true bread bakeries are nowhere to be found. Not widespread. When America rose and reigned supreme, she was fueled by wheat. It is long forgotten. Pick up an old copper penny, its symbol on the most basic coin in America, the most basic unit of monetary measurement was "Wheat."
Great black bread, Lithuanian, rye wheat, German, you name it. Comes in every day still warm.