2024 New York Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
Volpe with a great game! Looks like a totally different hitter as compared to last year.
Also … I slam Cashman all the time - one thing he can do - find good bullpen pieces off the scrap heap.
I saw the beginning of the game and his double to the gap in right center. Great piece of hitting.
Glad they fired that hitting coach from last year that just wanted him to upper cut everything.

pokler

Power Bottom
Boone walked the next to last batter which loaded the bases. The reason was that the DB 's would be forced to bring a pitcher to the plate as next batter , an easy out .
I did not get that . Why was a pitcher the only choice for the D's and not a position player ? Scratching my head on that one ..

Boone walked the next to last batter which loaded the bases. The reason was that the DB 's would be forced to bring a pitcher to the plate as next batter , an easy out .
I did not get that . Why was a pitcher the only choice for the D's and not a position player ? Scratching my head on that one ..
I believed they used all of their bench.

I was at the game today, had no idea about 'Lo being hurt, or us resigning Odor....Is that because DJ is more hurt then they are telling us?
Anyway, total lack of ANY energy from Yankees other than Stroman.

Guys looked half awake out there today. Everyone is all giddy about their start, fact is the majority aren't hitting.
Stanton has struck out something like 14 of 23 at bats. Trevino needs to sit more in favor of Wells. I don't like him in lineup, has done nothing.

Not going to rag on and on because I am the Debbie Downer in this crew, but man they were lifeless today. Yes it was cold, but it was cold for the fans and the Blue Jays too. Very shity opening day game in my opinion.

Loaisiga on the 60 day DL
He really can't stay healthy.
Had no idea he was hurt until Santana was warming up in the bullpen.
The fact the Yankees thought he would be a 2 inning guy like King is laughable. We all knew it on this board.
A significant strain is pending doom for TJS, have to think we won't see 'Lo again this season.

Must read article by Joel Sherman in the post today on the state of pitching. Interesting fact: between 1995 - 1999 pitchers spent 11,668 days on the IL, in 2023 they spent 31,358.

I have over the last few years slammed the current group of pitchers as being too delicate. I think the emphasis on velocity and spin rate has really affected these guys. Then throw in no longer being able to use pine tar to grip the ball. Now they have to squeeze the ball harder. These are the things that are different. Maybe they are just exerting way too much stress on their arms.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The way a lot of pitchers are adding velocity is by adding a recoil action to the arm after the release. This is putting tremendous strain on the arm.

In the old days guys added velocity by using their bottom half to add power, the drop and drive method.

Nolan Ryan always spoke about pitching with his legs. Funny he threw over 100 mph and lasted into his late forties.

Yankees radio play by play guy John Sterling having a press conference Friday. Probably,I would think to announce retirement. Who knows but I think he is 85 yrs old.