2024 New York Yankees

New York Yankees radio broadcaster John Sterling is retiring from the broadcast booth effective immediately, the club announced on Monday.

Sterling, 85, will be honored in an April 20 pregame ceremony before the team's game against the Rays at Yankee Stadium. "I am a very blessed human being," Sterling said in a statement release by the club. "I have been able to do what I wanted, broadcasting for 64 years. As a little boy growing up in New York as a Yankees fan, I was able to broadcast the Yankees for 36 years. It's all to my benefit, and I leave very, very happy. I look forward to seeing everyone again on Saturday."

A native of New York City, Sterling is in his 36th season as a Yankees broadcaster, and overall he's been in the broadcasting industry for more than six decades. At one point in his Bronx tenure, Sterling called more than 5,000 consecutive Yankees games. Best known for his pun-driven home run calls, Sterling is perhaps most closely associated with the great Yankees teams of the 1990s and early 2000s that featured personalities like Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, and manager Joe Torre. Sterling was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2018.

Ugh! Sterling is done effective immediately.
I was surprised by the announcement, I thought they'd have to carry him out of the broadcast booth. He had been cutting back on his schedule and skipping road trips since last season. He was an institution but, honestly, his best years were long behind him. Now if they can replace Susan Waldman too we might get a high quality team in New York.

Nothing comes close to Phil Rizzuto and Bill White, they were my favorite. Bobby Murcer was excellent too. And so is Paul O'Neill.

I was surprised by the announcement, I thought they'd have to carry him out of the broadcast booth. He had been cutting back on his schedule and skipping road trips since last season. He was an institution but, honestly, his best years were long behind him. Now if they can replace Susan Waldman too we might get a high quality team in New York.

Nothing comes close to Phil Rizzuto and Bill White, they were my favorite. Bobby Murcer was excellent too. And so is Paul O'Neill.
Carl 1991, where you been all this time homie?
LOVED White n Rizzuto, agree on Murcer. Who can't love Paulie??

There must be something wrong with him for it to be effective immediately.
Maybe. So sudden.
But in life sometimes you just had enough. He is 85 and traveling to the stadium every series, calling every pitch, raising that voice for every big Yankee hit or home run. Like Michael Kay said, that Sterling told him, he was done. Had enough. Didn't love it anymore. When the love is gone, the passion and desire goes with it.

Sterling was great, will be missed! Had a voice made for radio.
Maybe he comes back if the Yankees get to the World Series for one final send off?!!!

Honestly felt it's been a Crime that he and Susan have'nt been replaced for at least 7 years now!
They Suck and are a Horrible listen. (John makes too many embarrassing mistakes but is Absolutely a Smooth voice at least while Susan has a cringing effect on the brain when she speaks and steps on his toes)
I will never understand what drives radio execs to have On Air talent that is Un listenable(if thats a word)
It's been unfair that Younger talent that sound better & can do the job right have had to wait this long.
Now mind you I know some of you enjoy the comfort of familiarity and I am not a Yankee fan.
But the first should not matter and the latter doesn't because as my son would say..."You don't like anyone on Radio do you?"

Good Riddance let's hope they don't fuck it up with the permanent replacements

billyS

Reign of Terror
Honestly felt it's been a Crime that he and Susan have'nt been replaced for at least 7 years now!
They Suck and are a Horrible listen. (John makes too many embarrassing mistakes but is Absolutely a Smooth voice at least while Susan has a cringing effect on the brain when she speaks and steps on his toes)
I will never understand what drives radio execs to have On Air talent that is Un listenable(if thats a word)
It's been unfair that Younger talent that sound better & can do the job right have had to wait this long.
Now mind you I know some of you enjoy the comfort of familiarity and I am not a Yankee fan.
But the first should not matter and the latter doesn't because as my son would say..."You don't like anyone on Radio do you?"

Seven? More like 15 for me. I remember during the 2009 playoffs if I was driving when the game was on I'd listen to the National broadcast so I would know what was going on.

They got to a point where you could turn on a game and listen for ten minutes and not get the score.

It was also annoying with all his miscalls which ironically got better somehow the last three years or so. New Glasses?

And Susan is embarrassing, she always sounds like she has a dick in her mouth.

billyS

Reign of Terror
But all said in a way I'll miss Sterling as he called the Dynasty years and until they really fucked up the delay, I listen to those golden years with tv volume down and the Yankees radio broadcast up.

I also listened to his talk show on WMCA, a very hard to get AM radio station back in the early 70's. He was really Mike and the Mad Dog way before their time.

I LOVED Sterling. He made the broadcast fun to listen to. I did not like the “it is high … it is far …. It is ……. Caught at the track! Oh boy Susan - I thought that one was gone!
I like Susan too. After lots of years you become used to these people and they become almost like family. Jesus! After 35 years you have to come to like the guy. Don’t you?

After 3 losses in a row I thought this team was morphing into the 2023 team. Lots of familiar failings. I looked at last night as a test. If they lost I was going to give this team a rest for a while. But they passed the test and won.

One thing that has happened so far this season - I am 100% convinced that Gleyber has to go. Brain dead, tons of mistakes, errors. He has to go.

Seven? More like 15 for me. I remember during the 2009 playoffs if I was driving when the game was on I'd listen to the National broadcast so I would know what was going on.

They got to a point where you could turn on a game and listen for ten minutes and not get the score.

It was also annoying with all his miscalls which ironically got better somehow the last three years or so. New Glasses?

And Susan is embarrassing, she always sounds like she has a dick in her mouth.
Glad to hear a reasonable perspective from a Yanks fan on this. ...the"7" was simply me being nice.

pokler

Power Bottom

They need to get rid of Susan. I don't care how knowledgeable she may be on the game but she's still a girl. I don't want to hear a girl calling the game. Maybe she can find a gig talking about fashion or baby sitting or being a nurse.

As a Yankee fan I'm concerned with this season. with the heart of the lineup of Soto, Judge, Stanton, & Rizzo; I would expect more run production. With 90 runs over 19 games, seems a bit low.

I know Judge is starting a bit slow; but it should be a frequent occurrence that this team put up 10 runs. I'm not expecting this every game, but it still hasn't happened.

I think the offense will come around. Can't really go by only 19 games.Not too worried about the heart of that order...if they all stay healthy they will be fine.Judge hasn't really even started to hit yet, neither has Torres and really haven't gotten nothing from Verdugo or the catching position(in my opinion).With that being said 13-6 isn't too bad for the first 19 games of the season.

How about when DJ comes back he goes to 2B, leave Cabrera at 3B and look for a trade for Gleyber?
You that confident Waldo will continue to hit? Or DJ will hit enough and stay healthy?
Torres looks like he has his head in his ass on defense. He was the hottest hitter in spring training.

Unless they get a stud bullpen piece or starter I would hold onto him. He's gotta start hitting, he playing for a contract.