Your phone is listening

This may have been discussed before, but I think addressing again is valuable

Making an appointment today with a Dr for a future visit via I phone- Confirmed date and time with person on other end of line.

Forgetful as I am, suggested I add the appointment to “ my calendar” app on phone.

Navigated my way there and to my shock, the details were already populated in its respective place.

I am sure there is probobly a way to turn this feature off in settings, but sending out cautionary info to those who want to keep certain details private etc..

Making an appointment today with a Dr for a future visit via I phone- Confirmed date and time with person on other end of line.

Forgetful as I am, suggested I add the appointment to “ my calendar” app on phone.

Navigated my way there and to my shock, the details were already populated in its respective place.

I am sure there is probobly a way to turn this feature off in settings, but sending out cautionary info to those who want to keep certain details private etc..
Never even thought of putting monger visits on a calendar

Never click on unsolicited links because some can auto populate your calendar among other things. But I’m far more concerned with the Colombian drug lords dismemberment

Never even thought of putting monger visits on a calendar
I’ll usually set up an appointment via text ( third party app on I phone) which should not populate onto a calendar

In the unlikely event I would need to have a phone conversation with date prior to appointment, a cautionary warning is suggested for the reasons in prior thread.

( Makes me think if I want to revert back to a burner… it is inconvenient )

My piece of crap, zero function burner doesn't have the capability for that kind of stuff. Just sayin.

A burner phone for mongering is smart. But your primary phone sitting next to you may track your movements.

Many years ago I got my first "smart" phone. A few days later a message popped up inviting me to tell my friends how I liked a certain pizza place that I know I did not visit. But it was next to an AMP I went to. That day I went on line and learned how to turn all that stuff off.

Even with all that, there are so many apps that request your location it is almost impossible to go dark. I know some people who use a tracking app for the whole family. So they know where each and every family member is located. They all love it and willing share their info.

Maybe I should write a "mongering" app. One press of the button and it replaces the trip information to the AMP stored in your phone with one to the gym. LOL

A burner phone for mongering is smart. But your primary phone sitting next to you may track your movements.

Many years ago I got my first "smart" phone. A few days later a message popped up inviting me to tell my friends how I liked a certain pizza place that I know I did not visit. But it was next to an AMP I went to. That day I went on line and learned how to turn all that stuff off.

Even with all that, there are so many apps that request your location it is almost impossible to go dark. I know some people who use a tracking app for the whole family. So they know where each and every family member is located. They all love it and willing share their info.

Maybe I should write a "mongering" app. One press of the button and it replaces the trip information to the AMP stored in your phone with one to the gym. LOL
Use a vpn and an ad blocker

Be careful if you use Google maps as well, if you like to keep your movements private make sure you check settings. I looked at my history recently and in its file and I can see everywhere I have been since 2017.

Be careful if you use Google maps as well, if you like to keep your movements private make sure you check settings. I looked at my history recently and in its file and I can see everywhere I have been since 2017.
Please explain how you were able to look at your history.

google maps has a feature called "timeline" or "location history" where it creates a record of the locations you visited along with the date and time. You need a google account to use it. If you have an andriod phone you probably had to set up a google account when you got the phone.

Open the google maps app, then select the account symbol. It is in the upper right corner. Once you open the account settings scroll down and you will see something called "your timeline". This is the pace where you can opt out and view where you've been.

Like I said earlier, I have all that stuff turned off. Even with my opting out the phone still knows where I am at all times.

Traffic apps ask you to agree to their terms of service. Which include your phone sending position and speed as you travel. They use this information to help other drives find the best routes. But it also means that they know you take a weekly visit to a certain block in Queens. LOL

In this day and age of sharing everything, it is becoming increasing difficult to remain hidden.

When I need to know where a "special" place is I don't put the address in google maps (also I don't have an account). What I do is open GM and it shows my home address. I then expand the map with 3 clicks on the "-" (to show much more area) and move the center of the area I think the place I want to go is to the center of the map. A couple of "+" clicks and I get expanded are of interest. Usually there are some landmarks shown e.g., a department store, where if I hover over it and I get an address. I quickly get to about where I want to go and I can do a street view to see addresses on the buildings one of which will be the "special place I want to go to.

Yeah a lot of work but no drop down auto suggest has ever happened except for those place that I don't care if anyone knows I've been there, e.g. some store.

J. Heller: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you