Wsg

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
It's not just boards: societies in general need rules to survive. No one likes to follow rules, but chaos & anarchy are seldom qualities of a productive society.

slinkybender said:
It's not just boards: societies in general need rules to survive. No one likes to follow rules, but chaos & anarchy are seldom qualities of a productive society.
Absolutely. And we take the rules we disagree with along with the ones we do. I wish you'd allow more than three minutes to edit a post; I wish you'd make a separate Connecticut section. But that's nothing compared to having a place where we can still discuss the hobby.

"Chaos and anarchy are seldom qualities of a productive society" is absolute Gospel truth. I'd say "never."

slinkybender said:
At least that's new.

It's a change from them talking about how much UG and slinky suck.

(and how they are going to make that site great and UG disappear, blah, blah, blah..)

Slinky, I can resurrect your name over there if you wish to keep the board fresh.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Bandaid said:
Absolutely. And we take the rules we disagree with along with the ones we do. I wish you'd allow more than three minutes to edit a post; I wish you'd make a separate Connecticut section. But that's nothing compared to having a place where we can still discuss the hobby.

"Chaos and anarchy are seldom qualities of a productive society" is absolute Gospel truth. I'd say "never."
Too bad this is going to get hidden in this out of the way thread, but it's ripe now:

Take a guess how many of the rules we made up out of whole cloth, and how many were enacted after there was some "abuse"? You pick the rule, I'll tell you why it was enacted. For example, there was orignally no time limit on editing. Then, a member went and edited ALL his posts down to one word (many of which were MONTHS old), so we took it down to an hour. Then a couple of members were having long back and forth discussions, and then when they were finished, erasing their posts. Lastly, we had guys making ISO posts and putting up their e*mail addresses in posts, and then deleting them within the time period (there were several other types of things going on, but I think you get the gist of where things went).

I used to post a bit og WSG back before I found out about UG.( BTW - the way I found out about UG is I got a backchannel from Traderjack telling me about UG.) At a certain point a couple of years ago Jackson (the moderator) reorganized the site and made all the active members "Senior Members" with some special rights and privliges. I'm a senior member (I'm so proud) although I am not active there.

The site used to be particularly useful ( before all the backchannelling) to guys that travelled a bit (as I did) in that it has breakdown by state and city. This is particularly useful if you are going to Phoenix, for example, and you want to know where to find MP's or SW.

They even have a section on Truck Stops and another on Indian Reservations. Posts there consist primarily of ISO and are pretty useless.

As slinky pointed out, there is a lot of backchannelling there with very few posts. The posts that occur are typically complaints about how dead an area is or ISO's.

The Long Island section had all of 2 posts in August and both were ISO's.

Interesting aspect (to me anyway) is that the moderator is a stickler on grammar and spelling and will chastise posters and/or delay their posts to clean them up.

There's a review section where some interesting reviews get posted now and then, but it's moderated and it seems like the moderator can take a long time to put them up. Most of the reviews are of historic interest only.

WSG was great for international information. I had a vacation booked to Mexico a few years ago and found information on a great chica house in the area I was visiting. Went there every night for a week and it was the best time I ever had in this hobby.

Regarding the main topic......WSG was a good board in it's prime, and the PM function was very usefull in certain cases, but I can definitely see how not having it activated on these forums makes UG a better community by encouraging people to post more.