Worst Cars I Have Owned

'62 Corvair that leaked oil. Frat brother hit the rear of a garbage truck and collapsed the whole front; it still ran.

'64 Volvo 122S with 225,000 miles. I could not kill it, no matter how hard I tried. Or my drunken friends tried.

'65 Ford Galaxie 4dr with no heater or radio. I parked it in the farthest corner of the parking lot during grad school.

'65 Yamaha YDS3 200cc street bike with worn rings. I could have used it to fog for mosquitos.

1980 Dodge Omni. Got it as a hand me down while I was renovating my Dodge Coronet. Every time that the rpms went below 1500, the car would die. Basically it had a bum catalytic converter. Wound up putting on a straight pipe instead (legal at the time).

Transmission went - only would go in reverse. Ran on 3 cylinders for awhile. Just a nasty car......

1965 Chevy Corvair. Got it because I thought it was a cool looking car, no other reason. It was a better leaf blower than it was at a car.

Originally posted by slinkybender
Funny, but I've never owned what I thought was a bad car.
I same as Slinky have been lucky and never really owned a bad car but a friend of mine bought a Pontiac Fiero new the first year it came out and had so many major problems it was unreal. Went thought more engines and transmissions than I could count. Car always seemed to be at the dealer getting fixed.

1971 Chevy Nova

Worst car I ever had was a 71 chevy nova bought brand new. It had a very rough ride and you had to slow down to about 40mph if the road curved. Three months after I got it the wheel came off the axle while I was driving it. What a frigging scary moment that was.

79 Toyota Corolla

1987. I was an undergraduate in Buffalo, NY. Decided one day at noon that I wanted a car. Three hours and $100 later, I had this gem.

More rust than paint. The doors were so rotted, they were actually peeling away from the frame of the car. Looked like wings.

There were holes in the floor of the car.

The door on the driver's side would open maybe 45% of the time. Had to slide over from the passenger side.

When you hit a bump, the car would start shimmying violently until you slammed on the brakes to lurch the chassis back into alignment.

It started up on the first shot every time, even after 3 weeks buried in 24" of snow. Never stalled. Never cost me a cent in maintenance. Oh, and the emblem that said "Custom" was still firmly attached to the front fender.

Now THAT was a great car.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
My worst was a 1980 Dodge Colt with twin stick shifts -- kind of like a front gear on a ten-speed bike. Your basic piece of crap, but cheap -- I think the payment was $125/month brand new. Needed a second car after first child was born.

funny when this post started i thought about it and realized that i never had a really bad car, in college had a couple of cars that had some problems, like a 78 chevy that no matter how many u-bolts i put on the exhaust it kept falling apart, but no real problems.

that being said i did have one of the all time great, piece of shit cars. 1980 mazda 626, bought it with 140,000 miles on it for 600 bucks, ran like a champ. put about 40,000 miles on it in two years and never put a cent into it. the clutch went so i had to start it in gear and shift without a clutch, wasn't to bad except when i had to back up had to start it in reverse, back out turn the car off, put it in first and start it again, usually tried to park in spots i could pull out frontways. the windshield broke, the exhaust fell off and finally the brakes were grinding so bad that one brake shoe actually fell out, of course the emergency brake never worked in the first place. i actually drovw without brakes, at all, for about two weeks, i would downshift and then turn the car off in gear to stop for lights, i think back i must've been fucking nuts. finally school started back up and i drove it directly to a junkyard and called my old man to pick me up. did i mention that not one of the tires had enough rubber on them that you couldn't see the steel belts? the fuckin radio worked though!

My Dad was a car dealer. We always had new cars around-demonstartors.

In H.S., I had a date with the school slut, and SHE wanted to go to the drive-in ( :^) ) IF I brought some vodka and OJ.

No problema...

So, there we were, in a '68 T-Bird with maybe 500 miles on it. She had about 5 drinks. Things were hot and heavy in the back seat. Then, out of nowhere, she ralphed all over me, the back seat, and the carpets.

Any idea how long it takes to get the smell of fresh puke out of a new car? Like before the Old Man got in the car the next morning?

Me: "I'm sorry, Dad. I broke a bottle of English Leather in your car last night".

He: "Well, it smells like bad vodka...".

1973 Datsun 510 bought for $400 while I was a poor law student. It looked like a tiger was let loose in the interior with the shredded fabric, but it ran (kind of). I had engine trouble and a roommate took apart the engine, fixed it and reassembled it, but left many parts on the garage floor. Amazingly, it still ran! Followed this up with a Ford Maverick. Remember that piece of shit?

Your're right RD, we have the best memories (and some of the best bj's) in these old cluckers.