Windows 10 free upgrade...

I wish I hadn't. I did it about 6 month ago on the Dell desktop. The first problem was the incredibly long time to boot up (which seems better lately). I lost all ability to use MS Office (which really seems crazy, since its an MS product)...although now I get a pop up telling me I can "upgrade" MS office for $XX. Nice. Also, my HP laser printer won't work, but a diagnostic run tells me I have the latest drivers (the Epson ink jet still works). Then there's the automatic updates on shut down, which every once in a while get hung up, and I'll come back hours later to find the screen stuck in the same place....
Mentioned all this to my brother, who DL'd it onto his laptop, and his response "Gee, I have no problems at all. I'm happy with it."
I'm just glad I've got the iPad and the MacBook. That's what I use most anyway. And why I dumped all my MS stock and bought Apple.

I wish I hadn't. I did it about 6 month ago on the Dell desktop. The first problem was the incredibly long time to boot up (which seems better lately). I lost all ability to use MS Office (which really seems crazy, since its an MS product)...although now I get a pop up telling me I can "upgrade" MS office for $XX. Nice. Also, my HP laser printer won't work, but a diagnostic run tells me I have the latest drivers (the Epson ink jet still works). Then there's the automatic updates on shut down, which every once in a while get hung up, and I'll come back hours later to find the screen stuck in the same place....
Mentioned all this to my brother, who DL'd it onto his laptop, and his response "Gee, I have no problems at all. I'm happy with it."
I'm just glad I've got the iPad and the MacBook. That's what I use most anyway. .
I installed at the request of a friend on her desktop. Nothing but trouble with it and I uninstalled it. I have several MS computers and iPAD and iPhone. I see no reason to upgrade.
And why I dumped all my MS stock and bought Apple.
So (as Dr Phil would say) how's that working out for you in past year? MS has gone up and Apple down. IMHO, you ain't seen nuthin yet.

So (as Dr Phil would say) how's that working out for you in past year? MS has gone up and Apple down. IMHO, you ain't seen nuthin yet.
Actually, its worked out real well, thank you. MS is still below where it was when I got out, and I got Apple @ 70 (actually 500, just before the 1 for 7 split), so even at 95 i'm still in good shape (admittedly not as good as I was when I unloaded some at 120, but that's the nature of the game). No matter how you, ahem, slice it, Apple is just a better company. And down from here? Not likely. Watch for a dividend increase &/or increase in the repurchase plan to push it well past 100 again in the next 6 months (barring a total melt down on Nov. 9, which Brexit has shown could well happen, but that's for a different forum).

Actually, its worked out real well, thank you. MS is still below where it was when I got out, and I got Apple @ 70 (actually 500, just before the 1 for 7 split), so even at 95 i'm still in good shape (admittedly not as good as I was when I unloaded some at 120, but that's the nature of the game). No matter how you, ahem, slice it, Apple is just a better company. And down from here? Not likely. Watch for a dividend increase &/or increase in the repurchase plan to push it well past 100 again in the next 6 months (barring a total melt down on Nov. 9, which Brexit has shown could well happen, but that's for a different forum).
Since you got in early you made money. So psychologically it is pleasing to you that you got in at a lower price than now but the real issue is not that " I made money" but "will I make more", i.e., if I didn't own the stock, would I be buying it now. The expression is that comes to mind is "What have you done for me lately".

The problem with Apple, IMHO, is that many people I know (and me) see no reason to upgrade to the next model as the changes are just incremental improvements, and their current model does everything they need.
Combine that with the various carriers offering lower monthly service fees (for example, my Verizon cut my monthly fee by $15 last year since I didn't get the "free" or nominally priced upgrade if I didn't sign up for 2 more years - thus my "free" upgrade would have cost at least $360 plus the $100 or $200 upgrade fee.) and I just don't see the continuing past breathtaking expansion of iPhones sales, and the watch sales are anemic (by Apple standards), IPads are flat or decreasing - yet robust increasing future sales are built into the current stock price. The China market is Apples next big hope yet the Chinese are notorious trademark and patent thieves so who knows how that will work out.
My my definition of "a better company" is not whether or not it has sexy products but "does the company make more money for its stockholders than other investments.

Since you got in early you made money. So psychologically it is pleasing to you that you got in at a lower price than now but the real issue is not that " I made money" but "will I make more", i.e., if I didn't own the stock, would I be buying it now. The expression is that comes to mind is "What have you done for me lately".

The problem with Apple, IMHO, is that many people I know (and me) see no reason to upgrade to the next model as the changes are just incremental improvements, and their current model does everything they need.
Combine that with the various carriers offering lower monthly service fees (for example, my Verizon cut my monthly fee by $15 last year since I didn't get the "free" or nominally priced upgrade if I didn't sign up for 2 more years - thus my "free" upgrade would have cost at least $360 plus the $100 or $200 upgrade fee.) and I just don't see the continuing past breathtaking expansion of iPhones sales, and the watch sales are anemic (by Apple standards), IPads are flat or decreasing - yet robust increasing future sales are built into the current stock price. The China market is Apples next big hope yet the Chinese are notorious trademark and patent thieves so who knows how that will work out.
My my definition of "a better company" is not whether or not it has sexy products but "does the company make more money for its stockholders than other investments.
There's far more appropriate forums than this if you wish to discuss equity investments, but suffice it to say that for everyone who thinks things are looking up, there must by necessity be someone who thinks things are going down. Otherwise it's the summer of '87 all over again. So by all means, continue viewing tomorrows prospects through yesterdays lenses. And I'll buy all the Apple you want to sell me at...what....90? 85? How pessimistic are you? Make me an offer :)

I see this is almost 3 week old but my 2 cents:

I upgraded for free without any hiccups. My cracked versions of MS office and Adobe Photoshop both still work fine. Don't use my PC a ton like I used to but it works ok.

I notice web browsing a lil slow but could be bc I'm 2 floors away from the wireless router.

I was wondering how long ago this conversation was, since I remembered Apple was at $95 when we had it, and it set its third record high in a row today at $135+. So that's a 42% increase in just over 7 months, about 75% a year on an annualized basis. I'm sure there's probably others that have done better, but speaking just for myself, I think it answered the "What have you done for me lately" question quite well.

pokler

Power Bottom
I was wondering how long ago this conversation was, since I remembered Apple was at $95 when we had it, and it set its third record high in a row today at $135+. So that's a 42% increase in just over 7 months, about 75% a year on an annualized basis. I'm sure there's probably others that have done better, but speaking just for myself, I think it answered the "What have you done for me lately" question quite well.
You never annualize a stock's return when the holding period is less than a year only , when greater than a year .

May I point out that the stock went from 132 in May 2015 to now for a gain of 3 bucks. During the same period the DOW went up more than 2000 points. Almost all of my $ are in index funds with a couple of high-tech stocks (let me say that I own them for various reasons unrelated to a brokers advice) and none of them are Apple or FANG. All have done quite nicely thank you.

pokler

Power Bottom
?!? You can project anything out over an annualized basis.
On a bond yes you can look forward and project a return over the life of the bond ( yield to maturity ) because the cash flows are known in advance.

On a stock what you'll have in the future is not known. Using your example one will need to know the closing price of AAPL on 12/31/17 to come up with a valid projected return on the year. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking and wild speculation.

May I point out that the stock went from 132 in May 2015 to now for a gain of 3 bucks. During the same period the DOW went up more than 2000 points. Almost all of my $ are in index funds with a couple of high-tech stocks (let me say that I own them for various reasons unrelated to a brokers advice) and none of them are Apple or FANG. All have done quite nicely thank you.
I never said, or even implied, that Apple was the best investment around. I was merely pointing out that your comments at the time about it having little to no upside have proven to be quite incorrect.
On a bond yes you can look forward and project a return over the life of the bond ( yield to maturity ) because the cash flows are known in advance.

On a stock what you'll have in the future is not known. Using your example one will need to know the closing price of AAPL on 12/31/17 to come up with a valid projected return on the year. Otherwise it's just wishful thinking and wild speculation.
You're confusing realized returns with projected returns, which reminds me of the conversation we had some time ago wherein you confused risk tolerance with intelligence by insisting that anyone who TOFTT was just "stupid" (though I suspect that maybe you're not as confused as you seem, you just like breaking balls. And that's fine).
Obviously, to state that "I made X% in 6 months so I'll make 2X% in a year" is meaningless when discussing stocks. You've quite correctly pointed out that the stock could go to $0 tomorrow and my return is nothing (actually, less than nothing since it's a loss). But one can certainly make annualized projections. The projection may be useless, but it's still legitimate. Just like most of the people down in DC.

Last edited by a moderator:

pokler

Power Bottom
I never said, or even implied, that Apple was the best investment around. I was merely pointing out that your comments at the time about it having little to no upside have proven to be quite incorrect.

You're confusing realized returns with projected returns, which reminds me of the conversation we had some time ago wherein you confused risk tolerance with intelligence by insisting that anyone who TOFTT was just "stupid" (though I suspect that maybe you're not as confused as you seem, you just like breaking balls. And that's fine).
Obviously, to state that "I made X% in 6 months so I'll make 2X% in a year" is meaningless when discussing stocks. You've quite correctly pointed out that the stock could go to $0 tomorrow and my return is nothing (actually, less than nothing since it's a loss). But one can certainly make annualized projections. The projection may be useless, but it's still legitimate. Just like most of the people down in DC.
Actually you are the one confused and I'm trying to help you. If you are a licensed finacial advisor and make a projection of the kind you made on AAPL to a client that would be grounds to lose your license. And if you really understood this stuff you'd know that annualizing when holding period is > a year is a look back , hence realized return.

Yes I was incorrect. I didn't see the upside but I also didn't see the upside in the stock market (which is why I do not trade, not trying to catch a bottom or a top - I just invest) - I wonder how much of the Apple ride up is due to the rising stock market and how much is due to a bright financial projected future for Apple.

However my opinion is the same as I posted when Apple was in the 90's "I just don't see the continuing past breathtaking expansion of iPhones sales".

There is an interesting book (to me anyway) I read back in the 1970's by a guy name Burton Malkiel who recently came out recently came out with an updated version of the same title A Random Walk Down Wall Street . Older guys might remember him as his idea that you could beat the majority of stock market "experts" stock picks, over the long run, by putting a copy of WSJ on the wall and having a monkey throw darts at it.

Yes I was incorrect. I didn't see the upside but I also didn't see the upside in the stock market (which is why I do not trade, not trying to catch a bottom or a top - I just invest) - I wonder how much of the Apple ride up is due to the rising stock market and how much is due to a bright financial projected future for Apple.
However my opinion is the same as I posted when Apple was in the 90's "I just don't see the continuing past breathtaking expansion of iPhones sales".
There is an interesting book (to me anyway) I read back in the 1970's by a guy name Burton Malkiel who recently came out recently came out with an updated version of the same title A Random Walk Down Wall Street . Older guys might remember him as his idea that you could beat the majority of stock market "experts" stock picks, over the long run, by putting a copy of WSJ on the wall and having a monkey throw darts at it.
Over the same period, the S&P 500 is up 9.2%, so there’s probably something there that contributed to it (we can’t use the Dow average, since Apple is a Dow component. The S&P is more widely regarded as a more accurate measure, anyway). And I wouldn’t even try and speculate as to the reasons (I know all the talk, but anyone who says they know exactly how and why the market does what it does is either a fool or a liar. In fact, given how much of Apple production comes from China, and all the talk from DC of a possible trade war with China, I actually expected it to fall once Nov. 9 hit us. So don’t look to me for market advice. I’m just glad to be on the winning side).
I know your book, and while I think he was being a bit facetious, it’s been shown that most investors will do just as well with index funds as they will with the services of a stock picker. And it’s a whole lot cheaper that way too.
For me, this is my play money. When I’m up, I take some profits out and use it for fun. When I’m down, I just don’t get to have fun that month (or 2. Or 3).

Actually you are the one confused and I'm trying to help you. If you are a licensed finacial advisor and make a projection of the kind you made on AAPL to a client that would be grounds to lose your license. And if you really understood this stuff you'd know that annualizing when holding period is > a year is a look back , hence realized return.
No. I can’t. Not again.
You’re not still sore that I caught you in that “usually I tip/I never tip” story last week, are you? Or that I called you on the “anyone who gets arrested for soliciting a prostitute will lose their job” one a few weeks ago? Or maybe it was the “the only people who engage in high risk behavior are people of low intelligence” one from a while back. No, I know. It was the time you said a government sanctioned brothel in a country with legal prostitution was probably just an LE sting. Whichever it was, I can’t go there again. Now it’s they’ll pull my license if I make projections of future returns. You didn’t say it’s a foolish thing to do. Or even bad practice. No. You say it’s illegal. So here’s my thoughts: Maybe you’re right. After all, its over 30 years since I passed the exam. Maybe in all that practice and all that continuing ed they came out with a rule I missed. Please enlighten me. Show me the SEC rule that that breaks, and I’ll be first on line to apologize and say you’re right. Go to your compliance office and find the section that violates. But you won’t. Not because you’re lazy or disinclined to do so. Because you can’t.
You see, genius and I may not always agree on things, and no one’s shy about saying so, but we can at least have an intelligent argument, because we come from the old school where facts are facts for all of us. Where truths are universal, no matter how you feel about them, or what mood you’re in, or what day of the week it is. But you come from the KellyAnne Conway School of Public Speaking, where shit is just made up and thrown out there and fuck y’all if it ain’t true I’m gonna say it anyway. And that can’t be argued, or debated, or convinced otherwise. Because to you, facts and truths are just a pesky annoyance, easily ignorable if it suits your point of view.
So here’s what I’m gonna do, cause this is an easy one for you. Show me the SEC rule, and you win. Don’t show it (which of course you can’t), and I promise to never talk to you about anything other than a) will she stick her tongue up my ass, b) is her pussy shaved, or c) do I get 2 pops. Because it’s tiring enough trying to keep up with KellyAnne, without coming on here asking for more.